Need HDTV recommendation.

EarthKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey. I need a HDTV recommendation. I want a 32" 1080p (120Hz) HDTV for around $400-$500...Are there any HDTVs like that? Also, atleast 2 HDMI and very good sound...Don't care about 3D. Please help me out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BBA6B2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This tv just came out in November 2011. Has 4 HDMI ports, Google TV which basically future proofs it software wise, and wifi N plus more. Amazon is selling it for $498 right now and MSRP is $500. You can always price match it if you find it at a lower price somewhere else, since amazon actually does price matching on HDTVs.

The only exception to this TV is it is 60Hz refresh rate... Why do you need a 32" TV at 120Hz? Console games run max at 60Hz which is rare, Blu-ray movies run at a fixed 24Hz.

Not really sure why you would need 1080p on a 32 inch unless you are going to use it as a monitor. You'd have to be fairly close to the TV to tell the difference b/n 720p and 1080p. I say go with a 720p Samsung LCD.

htz - I was going to double it up by using it as a computer monitor (for computer gaming).

antlp89 - I live in a small apartment. Might as well get a 32"...I don't want it taking up too much room lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. You probably don't even need it that big for an apartment. I never understood why people buy obscene sized sets. The extra hertz is about as useful as 3D too (meaning not very). Finally due to their small/thin size you're not going to get superior audio without external speakers.

Dont get caught up on 1080p with tv that is less than 42 inches in size you wont be able to tell a difference between 720p and 1080p on 32 in display.

I would try to wait a little longer. Super Bowl is coming up in 2 weeks. I'm sure plenty of retailers are going to have TVs on sale.

[quote name='EarthKing']I'll probably wait for the super bowl...Does Amazon have good deals around that time?[/QUOTE]

Which is basically right now. Once you miss this window you are looking at black friday

I know....I have a $100 GC that's going to expire at the end of the month...I could do that. I narrowed it down to that tv that I link and the one htz linked...I might go with the one with the one htz linked. For the one that I linked, it found a cheaper one at the same price as the one htz linked (for $500)...I'm getting it on wednesday (assuming the TV doesn't sell out in 2 day).

What is "gaming mode"? What is it due to the tv?

EarthKing do not buy either of those TV's. If you are looking for a dedicated gaming TV here are the 2 TV's you want.

#1 TC-L32C3

or

#2 LG-32LK330

if you absolutely have to have 1080p, and you don't unless you want to use the tv as a monitor, not a gaming monitor per say but to surf the web or actually to do desktop pc work on your tv then go with this 1080p model:

#3 LG-32LK450

I personally would go with the Panasonic as they have proven time and time again that they have the best panels for input lag. And as you will see they are quite affordable.

If you like best buy at all insignia isn't a bad brand for the money. I picked up a 42in led for 400 and the sound is pretty damn good compared to some other sets I looked at.

[quote name='EarthKing']htz - I was going to double it up by using it as a computer monitor (for computer gaming).

antlp89 - I live in a small apartment. Might as well get a 32"...I don't want it taking up too much room lol[/QUOTE]

I've never met any one who was upset with getting too big of a tv. As long as you have the room, I'd go 42-50" and get a Plasma TV set. You can still use this as a computer monitor.

I'd say 120 hz is the right total. It's been a little bit of time, but I'd recommend a 120 hz at least as well. In theory 60 hz should be enough for gaming, but my experience has been the motion blur on 60 hz sets make gaming very difficult to experience. 120 hz and on seem to have corrected that problem. However, I still like Plasma better, and I would go with Panasonic as a brand. I've seen their 42" 1080p TV sell

Ive never heard the words "This tv is just too big!" from anyone in my life. Go biggest you can. If you are going to go 3D, go with Passive technology.

I was recently in your situation. I bought a refurbished Philips 32 1080P 60hz for 300 from Walmart. It was too small so I upgraded to a refurbished Philips 40 1080p 120 hz for 430, also from Walmart. One important thing to know is that smaller, thin panel tvs are going to have god-awful sound. While the 40 inch tv was listenable by itself, the 32 inch absolutely required a soundbar. Make sure you include that in your costs too.

Good Luck.

I used a 37" tv for a few years. It's a great size, but the smallest I'd go for a widescreen. I would not bother with a 32". Go 37"-42" if you want a small one, and 55"+ if you want a large one.

bread's done
Back