Need help choosing a camera from amazon

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
My old camera is busted and I really need to get a new one. I'm looking to spend around the $150 range, maybe a little more but I would like to stick within that price. Anything cheaper would be good too. I'm looking for something slimmer that I could carry around in my pocket easily.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't really know where to start. I went around B&M stores today and right now I'm kind of thinking about the Olympus FE-3000 but the XD card kind of turns me off of it. I have a bunch of SD cards from my last camera so it would be nice to stick with SD although it isn't necessary.

Oh and the reason I want to stick to amazon is because I have a $25 gift card.

I'm partial to Canon or Nikon personally. I've got a Canon SD1100 IS that I use as a pretty basic point and shoot. You should be able to get it, or something similar for under $200.

I love Canon point and shoots. My boyfriend just bought a 12.1 mp yesterday at Best Buy for $250 and it's awesome. I have the A620 (it's old) but if you can find a newer model of it that's a great camera too. They pretty much all use SD cards.

I would probably look up some models that look interesting to you and then go around Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Target/Sears/etc and see if they have it on display in the store so you can try it out first before buying from Amazon.

I paid around $150 for my Canon, which is also 10.1MP. I'd look around a bit harder or just ride it out for a while. Those Kodak cameras are largely junk.

Edit: Go check your local office depot.
upc is 013803090192, item number is 109980. It's ringing up under $124.

Staples should have near the same price this week too. I think it's $124.99 there for the IS1100.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']I paid around $150 for my Canon, which is also 10.1MP. I'd look around a bit harder or just ride it out for a while. Those Kodak cameras are largely junk.

Staples should have near the same price this week too. I think it's $124.99 there for the IS1100.[/QUOTE]

sweet price for an awesome camera. The only thing is that it's 8MP, is that really a big deal compared to me getting a 10 or 12MP camera?

[quote name='exileinoblivion']sweet price for an awesome camera. The only thing is that it's 8MP, is that really a big deal compared to me getting a 10 or 12MP camera?[/QUOTE]

Are you planning on ever printing poster sized prints? If your not doing anything higher than say 4096x4096, then you really don't need more than 8MP. Hell, my DSLR only has 6MP and it takes some of the best shots around. More megapixels != better camera. It's all about the sensor size and optics.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are you planning on ever printing poster sized prints? If your not doing anything higher than say 4096x4096, then you really don't need more than 8MP. Hell, my DSLR only has 6MP and it takes some of the best shots around. More megapixels != better camera. It's all about the sensor size and optics.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, I do take pictures as reference material to turn into screen prints but it's all turned into vectors when I'm done anyways.

How did you find out about this deal? I think I'll be heading out to the store tomorrow morning to pick it up.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm partial to Canon or Nikon personally. I've got a Canon SD1100 IS that I use as a pretty basic point and shoot. You should be able to get it, or something similar for under $200.[/QUOTE]

I second the SD1100 IS !!! The pictures uploaded on flickr with that camera looks really good.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/623449@N20/pool/

I don't like to compare pictures from the manufacturers under their staged environments, rather, I like pictures from regular users. Probably more realistic to what kind of pictures I will take...

My parents have the SD1100 IS too, nice camera for the money. My self, I use a Canon 450D SLR and I could never go back

[quote name='mtxbass1']I paid around $150 for my Canon, which is also 10.1MP. I'd look around a bit harder or just ride it out for a while. Those Kodak cameras are largely junk.

Staples should have near the same price this week too. I think it's $124.99 there for the IS1100.[/QUOTE]

I really want this camera now but officedepot.com is showing it for $248.99

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?fkey=null&Ntt=109980

The deal is in store only. It was all over slickdeals and fatwallet.

Staples will have a similar price this week as well. Do not go by what the website says.

[quote name='mtxbass1']The deal is in store only. It was all over slickdeals and fatwallet.

Staples will have a similar price this week as well. Do not go by what the website says.[/QUOTE]

Bummer, I guess it was on sale last week at staples. So I think I missed out on that. I'll be heading to Office Depot in a few minutes to see if I can snag one though.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Damn.

Do you need this camera right now? The 1100IS (and 1200) go on sale on a near weekly basis...[/QUOTE]

I don't need it like right now but my girlfriend is driving up to stay with me from the 30th to the 3rd and I really would like to have a camera by the time she gets here.

I have to say you guys pretty much have me sold on this camera now I just need to find a deal for it.

I'll keep an eye out on the next deal. I now officemax also had them on clearance a few months ago (the 1100).

The main thing I like about the 1100 is that the body is full metal. No plastic on it to break and it doesn't feel cheap. It shoots fast, takes standard SD cards, records videos, and looks pretty good for a cheap point and shoot.

Yeah go with a Canon when it comes to any sort of cam. I have a Canon Powershot Elph and it takes amazing fucking pics. I just dropped a grand on the new Canon Rebel T1i 15.1 mp SLR and it is mind blowing.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'll keep an eye out on the next deal. I now officemax also had them on clearance a few months ago (the 1100).

The main thing I like about the 1100 is that the body is full metal. No plastic on it to break and it doesn't feel cheap. It shoots fast, takes standard SD cards, records videos, and looks pretty good for a cheap point and shoot.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I wonder if office max would have any left. I might have to go check.

So I went to staples to see how much the 1100's were and they had a bunch of brown ones for $150. They also had a powershot SD 790 IS that was the display copy for $123 that I ended up getting. How would you guys say that is in comparison? I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it or not, I just figured I would pick it up and if I decided to go with the 1100 I could just exchange it.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']So I went to staples to see how much the 1100's were and they had a bunch of brown ones for $150. They also had a powershot SD 790 IS that was the display copy for $123 that I ended up getting. How would you guys say that is in comparison? I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it or not, I just figured I would pick it up and if I decided to go with the 1100 I could just exchange it.[/QUOTE]

Not bad if it came with everything. If not, I would go with the 1100 for 150 if it was brand new. If I remember correctly, the 790 has some plastic? I think the whole body is plastic right? That's a huge deal for me personally, but it should be fine for most people. I think you'll be happy with either one...

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm pretty positive it's all metal or at least its doing a good job of fooling me. It came with everything. I don't even think it was ever powered on as a display model, I think it was just out so that people could see what it actually looked like.

EDIT: heres a link to the camera from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242770806&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I looked it up. It's largely a plastic body. You can definitely feel a difference between it and the 1100 or 1200. All are good cameras. I don't care much for the controls of the 790 either, but that's personal preference again. It's still a good camera.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Yeah, I looked it up. It's largely a plastic body. You can definitely feel a difference between it and the 1100 or 1200. All are good cameras. I don't care much for the controls of the 790 either, but that's personal preference again. It's still a good camera.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I'll have to think it through. Since this was a display I got the extended warranty so both this and the 1100 would roughly be the same price due to that.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Hmm, I'll have to think it through. Since this was a display I got the extended warranty so both this and the 1100 would roughly be the same price due to that.[/QUOTE]

In that case, go with the 1100. I wouldn't worry so much about the warranty. Canon makes a pretty solid camera. This is my second point and shoot by them. I still use Nikon for my DSLR though.

bread's done
Back