Need help choosing a good facial/hair trimmer

Video-Gamer

CAGiversary!
Im using a 1 year old remington trimmer that I got from target for less than $20.
Its an ok shaver but after visiting my barber over seas and after seeing how with just a few rolls his shaver trimmed down my facial hair to the perfect size{2} I said to myself what a piece of shit trimmer Im using which takes me damn near 20-30 minutes to trim my face evenly with this remington trimmer that I have.
I been looking on amazon for about a month now, looked through braun cruzer 5 beard and head and braun cruzer 6 and several other by philipis, panasonic and others - but cant seem to make a decision with which one to go with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Norelco is the only shaver I would ever use, but for a trimmer, this Remington MB-200 has served me well for my neck and tinybeard for quite a few years now without a single issue.

You can't get it wrong with the number setting (once you find the number you prefer), and it's powerful enough to zip right through anything from Bob Ross' afro down to Ron Jeremy's...mustache...

I'm curious to know what you've been using up until now that takes 30 minutes for an even trim.

[quote name='Kerig']Norelco is the only shaver I would ever use, but for a trimmer, this Remington MB-200 has served me well for my neck and tinybeard for quite a few years now without a single issue.

You can't get it wrong with the number setting (once you find the number you prefer), and it's powerful enough to zip right through anything from Bob Ross' afro down to Ron Jeremy's...mustache...

I'm curious to know what you've been using up until now that takes 30 minutes for an even trim.[/QUOTE]

I been using a remington PG-360. The plastic head that trims the face with the adjustable sizes - that plastic head doesnt even lock in a number I set it at. I called remington about it - they sent me a couple of those heads free of charge, yet after using each for about 2-3 months - they eventually stop locking in the numbers of the sizes once again. Im kind of hesitant with remington products now.
I just want a quick even trim that would take me 5 minutes or 10 minutes max to finish off everthing, but not damn near 30 minutes.

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense seeing the model you currently have. Those kind with the cheap little attachments are almost as poor as a pop-out trimmer on a standard electric shaver.

The MB-200 that I linked to is one solid piece (however, you can remove the guard for doing sideburns and whatnot), but once you choose a number it will stay there for you or you can go back and forth and know exactly what length you'll be at so long as you remember the number. I keep mine at 3 and trim my little beard when it starts to grow out too much.

The number dial is very solid with a slight click, and never goes off a number accidentally. I can't even force it to move by pushing on the guard. Usually I consider Remington an inferior ladies' brand over Norelco (and Braun to be the overpriced ManBrand), but this one product is the exception for me.

As for the one you have, if it came with a cylindrical design nose trimmer, keep it and use it for that. (You'll need one at some point)

[quote name='Kerig']Ahh, that makes a lot of sense seeing the model you currently have. Those kind with the cheap little attachments are almost as poor as a pop-out trimmer on a standard electric shaver.

The MB-200 that I linked to is one solid piece (however, you can remove the guard for doing sideburns and whatnot), but once you choose a number it will stay there for you or you can go back and forth and know exactly what length you'll be at so long as you remember the number. I keep mine at 3 and trim my little beard when it starts to grow out too much.

The number dial is very solid with a slight click, and never goes off a number accidentally. I can't even force it to move by pushing on the guard. Usually I consider Remington an inferior ladies' brand over Norelco (and Braun to be the overpriced ManBrand), but this one product is the exception for me.

As for the one you have, if it came with a cylindrical design nose trimmer, keep it and use it for that. (You'll need one at some point)[/QUOTE]

Yes - not only that those are cheap attachments on the one that I have - but even when they were still staying locked in the number that I set it at - it still takes me at least 20 minutes to just do an even trim on my face. I took a look at the one that you included in the link on amazon - and I saw that it goes on ebay for about $28. Whenever I buy something lately - doesnt matter what it is - I always try to see if its worth buying for that price especially if its cheaper at other places online, so while looking at the one that you included - I came across the Remington MB4040, regular price is $39 on amazon, now its on sale for $29.99, I checked on ebay it seems like its $40 dollars over there as well pretty much, so Im wondering maybe I should get this one? I dont mind paying the extra 5 dollars instead of the one that you included in the link and get the Remington MB4040 instead, but I will need your opinion. I would also like to see which Norelco are you using if you dont mind.

I use this one. Despite it having cheap attachments, I haven't had a problem with them not locking in the tracks after extended use. It takes me 5-10 minutes to trim my beard with it.

The only problem I had with it was my fault: a few years ago, I dropped it with one of the guides attached and the clip that holds it in the track broke (the trimmer itself still worked). It was the same price with shipping to order a replacement attachment as to buy a whole new kit, so I bought a whole new kit. I've had a beard for almost seven years now and started using this trimmer maybe 6-12 months after I grew a beard, so I've been using the trimmer for 5 1/2 - 6 years.

For a Norelco shaver, so long as it uses the SpeedXL style rotary blades it'll be good. You can find one between $60-$90 average. I've tried out the $30-$40 models in the past, and they don't cut anywhere near as well as the next higher blade style.

I'm not sure what you guys are doing with your faces with all that time being spent, but I can dual-wield Norelco shavers for my entire head and face + the Remington to trim my beard & neck in about 4 minutes tops. Spending 10 minutes on just the beard sounds dangerously close to girltime territory.

The MB4040 will have a much better charge, that's a certainty. It also has a $4 digital coupon on Amazon, so it's only $25.99 right now. A few people on Amazon mentioned not liking it as much as the 200, but it's definitely a nice little package, especially with the upgrade of 3 sets of cutting blades and the lithium-ion battery. If mine died tonight, I'd probably try out the new one for $1 (or even $5) more.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']I use this one. Despite it having cheap attachments, I haven't had a problem with them not locking in the tracks after extended use. It takes me 5-10 minutes to trim my beard with it.

The only problem I had with it was my fault: a few years ago, I dropped it with one of the guides attached and the clip that holds it in the track broke (the trimmer itself still worked). It was the same price with shipping to order a replacement attachment as to buy a whole new kit, so I bought a whole new kit. I've had a beard for almost seven years now and started using this trimmer maybe 6-12 months after I grew a beard, so I've been using the trimmer for 5 1/2 - 6 years.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty nice and thanks for the response. I am still thinking between the Remington MB4040 and yours.

[quote name='Kerig']For a Norelco shaver, so long as it uses the SpeedXL style rotary blades it'll be good. You can find one between $60-$90 average. I've tried out the $30-$40 models in the past, and they don't cut anywhere near as well as the next higher blade style.

I'm not sure what you guys are doing with your faces with all that time being spent, but I can dual-wield Norelco shavers for my entire head and face + the Remington to trim my beard & neck in about 4 minutes tops. Spending 10 minutes on just the beard sounds dangerously close to girltime territory.

The MB4040 will have a much better charge, that's a certainty. It also has a $4 digital coupon on Amazon, so it's only $25.99 right now. A few people on Amazon mentioned not liking it as much as the 200, but it's definitely a nice little package, especially with the upgrade of 3 sets of cutting blades and the lithium-ion battery. If mine died tonight, I'd probably try out the new one for $1 (or even $5) more.[/QUOTE]

Your right, I didnt even notice the $4 dollar coupon, so it really is $25.99{$1 more than what you mentioned} which makes it even a better deal.
So as far as the attachments on this Remington MB4040 - I wont have to worry about it stopping to lock in place after months of use? This is not cheaply made as the PG360 Remington that I have?

The 200 & 4040 both use the same number wheel built into the handle of the unit, which locks the length into place permanently until you decide to change it. I keep it at 3 and pull the guard off so I can go from 3 to 0 and back without ever adjusting the wheel.

My only concern is the fact that the guard is a little different between the two models, but either one should be like night & day compared to the cheap attachment ones.

[quote name='Kerig']The 200 & 4040 both use the same number wheel built into the handle of the unit, which locks the length into place permanently until you decide to change it. I keep it at 3 and pull the guard off so I can go from 3 to 0 and back without ever adjusting the wheel.

My only concern is the fact that the guard is a little different between the two models, but either one should be like night & day compared to the cheap attachment ones.[/QUOTE]

As far as the guard - what is that? u mean the plastic head that you use to adjust it to the numbers to your liking of the level of the trim?

I ended up buying the mb4040 after your previous advice since yesterday for $25.99 shipped with no tax.

Cool, let us know how it goes after you've tried it a few times. Yeah, the guard is the plastic head that keeps the blades away from your face.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F2B3P8/ref=mp_s_a_13?pi=SL75&qid=1347201194&sr=8-13

Wtf?! Was trying to find my trimmer that I've used for 8 years and just broke but i think it's an antique. The compartment that held the trimmings broke due to my children dropping it but i loved the vacuum feature....kept the sink much cleaner

[quote name='Kerig']Cool, let us know how it goes after you've tried it a few times. Yeah, the guard is the plastic head that keeps the blades away from your face.[/QUOTE]

Will do

[quote name='Kerig']I'm not sure what you guys are doing with your faces with all that time being spent, but I can dual-wield Norelco shavers for my entire head and face + the Remington to trim my beard & neck in about 4 minutes tops. Spending 10 minutes on just the beard sounds dangerously close to girltime territory. [/QUOTE]

I'm sure it actually takes less time; I was just erring on the side of a conservative estimate.

If I just trim the length of my beard, it probably takes 2-3 minutes. If I trim the border of my beard (in front of my ear, below my chin), it probably adds another 2-3 minutes.

I got the Shaver, used it right out of the box without charging{to let the battery drain all the way}, and I can tell that this thing cuts much better than the first remington that I had{PG 360}. It feels nice in the head, the different razor heads can be switched with just a push of a button{I didnt know this until I unscrewed one head and realize that I wasnt supposed to do so, and had the spring jump and now I gotta put it back together}.
The guard{Plastic head} is nice and big enough to even cut hair perfectly{I already did}, the wheel lock has 9 sizes, it locks in perfectly so far, I just hope through out the time when I press on my skin the guard wont start rolling down by itself like it did with the old remington{PG 360} that I had.
I set the setting of the guard to 2 - it cut down evenly and perfectly on every area, very happy with it.
I even gave myself a quick trim up/fade on my hair and honestly it looks like a barber did it, I just need a 3 way mirror that I can put in my basement and cut my own hair nicely with room to move in instead of the rest room.
Thanks for the tip on Kerig, if it wasnt for your post on the other remington model - I wouldnt have come across through this one!

Another CAG success story, congratulations (and bonus for fixing your shaver after breaking it on the first day)

bread's done
Back