Need Help connecting my PC to my Plasma

UndyingForce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Heres my PC specs:

System: Vista Ultimate 64 bit
CPU Speed: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz (not OC'ed)
RAM Memory: OCZ Reaper (2x 2GB)
Video Card: EVGA 8800 GT 512mb
Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum

I had a 15ft HDMI cord that I was not using so I am using that to transfer the video to my Panasonic Plasma. My video card does not have and HDMI out so I am using a DVI to HDMI adapter from Monoprice. The picture transfers well but now I am wondering how to transfer sound.

My MOBO has an optical option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...on=MSI P6N SLI Platinum ATX Intel Motherboard

And my Plasma has every input imaginable. I want to purchase the best cable but I also want to ensure that it works. If I run an optical cable to my Plasma, will it recognize the sound? Or will my TV try and pull the sound signal from the HDMI cable by default? I know sound can travel thru the HDMI cable but since I am using a DVI adapter from my Video Card I figured that would not be an option. Any suggestions my fellow CAGERS???

Also, the cord would have to be roughly 10-12ft long. I am running the cables from my office through the wall into the next room which happens to be my TV room. Thanks in advance.

It really depends on the rear panel of your TV. Not every TV is the same, some may have the typical red & white RCA audio ports, some may have the optical in. You have to look behind your TV to check it out.

But let's say the back of your Pany looks like this:

hdtv_rear_plasma_pana.jpg

You can clearly see that the HDMI 1 also comes paired with an HDMI 1 audio inputs (red & white), for when both video feeds and audio feeds come from different 'sources'. In your case, the video feed comes from your computer's video card, and the audio feed comes from your computer's sound card (or motherboard). IF your TV has an optical input, and you know that it is associated with an HDMI input, then your TV should be able to pick up the video feed as well as the audio feed at the same time. But let's say that is not the case, and that your audio inputs associated with the HDMI port is only in the red & white RCA jack, then you will need something like this to convert your 3.5mm audio jack to the conventional red & white RCA audio jack.

My knowledge for your situation stops here. I'm no audiophile so I'm sure someone else can come up with a better solution that won't cause you to lose sound quality.

thanks for your response but my panny has nothing underneath it like the photo above. I have 3 HDMI inputs and they are blocked off, meaning there is a square around the inputs. no RCA jacks near it. im going to try and find a photo.

That sucks, three HDMI inputs but no alternate audio in. You're screwed, sorry. You'll have to go component ("HDTV out") or buy a new card with true HDMI out. My choice would be component, that will send 1080i (and probably 1080p gaming) just fine. Or you could try that PC port with a long VGA cable and RCA cable, that looks pretty cool. Dont see too many of those on TVs.

But why would you be satisfied with audio coming from your TV? TV speakers suck. I recommend you hook up a digital out (optical) from your mobo to a receiver.

Does your panny automatically assume it gets it audio from the HDMI ports? Is there a way to assign the audio to one of the other ports, like that PC Input jack?

Plug the audio cable from your pc into your "Audio in" jack, and plug the computer into the HDMI. You will probably have to enable a setting so you can hear the audio.

[quote name='seen']Plug the audio cable from your pc into your "Audio in" jack, and plug the computer into the HDMI. You will probably have to enable a setting so you can hear the audio.[/QUOTE]

Yup the Audio In jack near the upper left will do it. Just get a straight male to male 3.5mm audio cable.

bread's done
Back