Need help converting 2.5" HDD to use with desktop

wquach

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I recently bought the Hitachi 2.5" Travelstar 320gb HDD to replace my PS3's 60gb harddrive.

Since I want to put the 60gb HDD to use, and since my desktop's HDD is currently dead, what's the easiest way to use the 2.5" 60gb with my desktop?

Would it be to use an external usb enclosure? (can desktops run/boot solely off an external??)

Or would it be to install the drive into the pc and somehow mount/convert it to 3.5"? If so, how would I do this? I have a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203012 but the pins don't seem to match up with the 2.5" harddrive. Is this only good for transferring between 2.5" to 3.5" harddrives? Is it useless then if the 3.5" HDD is dead? Is there some enclosure I'm missing for the 2.5"?

Thanks guys (and sorry if I sound like a noob with so many questions). :(

Yep, both are SATA. Thank you. So I don't need to buy any additional wires if I have an enclosure like that? And are their cheaper enclosures that perform decently? The desktop I'm installing it in is old and really just for my little brother to use for minimal tasks.

bread's done
Back