Need Help for those using Opera

Zer0X1999

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Recently I got tired of IE and decided to try out Opera, but after installing it I can't seem to get any webpage to load. All I get is a "Could not connect to remote server" error. I've tried using the tips that they give in their faqs, but that didn't help at all. BTW - Im running Windows XP on a Wireless Network if that helps at all.

Maybe you somehow configured it to use a proxy server?

I've never encountered this problem, and I use Opera a lot.

As a last-ditch effort, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I did not configure it to use a proxy server. It's wierd because I've tried installing different versions from 6.05, to the new 7.51 but all of them result in the same problem.

There's something on your machine preventing opera from accessing web servers. Perhaps it's some software you're not aware of?

Also: try closing IE before you open opera.

P.S. Do the netscape/mozilla browsers work? Firefox 0.9 RC is just out.

yeah you have something preventing its use...its not how opera or even windows is suppose to operate

maybe you have some spyware/adware or a virus?

Also you have a wireless network...are you able to just do a direct connection?

Ok. I've tried Netscape and Mozilla as well and both have the same issue as Opera. Defender, yes I'm able to do a direct connection. I"ll try a spyware/virus sweep now, as per your other suggestion.

I suggest Avant Broswer. If IE works, then it should work (it's an add-on). It looks better, and has tabbed browsing and built in pop/ad blockers. I love it.

I would be alarmed at the fact that you cant install an alternate browser. You should really find out why and not just brush it aside.

[quote name='defender']I would be alarmed at the fact that you cant install an alternate browser. You should really find out why and not just brush it aside.[/quote]'

I wonder if there is something stopping it from windows programs access and defaults.

Sorry to hijack the post but, I just got opera and was wondering how to stop the autocomplete function on where you put in the web adress. For example, when you do www.ya and then it puts in www.yahoo.com automatically for you. How do i turn that off?

[quote name='rocky76']you might be using proxie without knowing it. check IE setting once again and see if it uses proxie...[/quote]

I'm absolutely sure I'm not using proxy servers. That's why I find it quite strange. I'm sure its not that, nor do I have any programs that might prohibiting internet access. It seems as if my PC wants to use IE and nothing else. I know some software is blocking it after testing on another partition using Windows ME.

Edit - *Spelling error fixed*

bread's done
Back