need help getting older game to run win 7 UPDATE: works now

ctrek3

CAGiversary!
Hello all,

I am trying to even install my old copy of Might and Magic 6, i was never got around to playing it, and now when i try to even install it, nothing happens, i get the win 7 pop up asking if i want to allow this program to make changes to the computer. i click yes and the cd drive spins up for a second or two , and then nothing happens. i check in task manager, but that shows nothing either. any help would be appreciated.

my system specs:
amd dual core 7750 2.7Ghz
4gb ddr2 ram i dont remember the speed
1tb hd with win 7 64bit ultimate
320 gb hd with win xp 32bit professional
evga 9500GT 1gb

also does anyone know how i can get my pc to bring up a dual boot menu? right now to switch over to win xp i have to reboot, bring up my bios, and switch the hard drive priority. i used to just have an option menu when i did dual boots in the past.

thanks again

EDIT: after a reboot for an avg update, game installed and runs fine. thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
About the boot switching between Windows XP/7, did you reinstall one or the other around the time this issue began to crop up? It can be fixed by manually editing the boot manager via command line, but it's not something I'm particularly good at walking people through.

As for your issue installing Might & Magic 6, it's probably because the installer uses some bit that's not supported by your 64bit OS. The thing you'll want to try doing is going into your game disk (Explore the CD via Right Click Menu) and then find the setup and try that. If it doesn't work, try right clicking it and going to Properties. Go to the compatibility tab and try out some options like "Run in Windows 98 Mode". I haven't run into a game I can't install yet, but I don't remember the oldest I've tried. There's usually work-a-rounds to get it working some way or another.

And if you're really too lazy to continue trying after a certain point to get it to work, you can always grab it on Good Old Games. They make the games work on 64bit OS.

[quote name='Draekon']About the boot switching between Windows XP/7, did you reinstall one or the other around the time this issue began to crop up? It can be fixed by manually editing the boot manager via command line, but it's not something I'm particularly good at walking people through.

As for your issue installing Might & Magic 6, it's probably because the installer uses some bit that's not supported by your 64bit OS. The thing you'll want to try doing is going into your game disk (Explore the CD via Right Click Menu) and then find the setup and try that. If it doesn't work, try right clicking it and going to Properties. Go to the compatibility tab and try out some options like "Run in Windows 98 Mode". I haven't run into a game I can't install yet, but I don't remember the oldest I've tried. There's usually work-a-rounds to get it working some way or another.[/QUOTE]

for the boot switching, no i had just the one hard drive with xp, then bought another hard drive, and put win 7 on it.

i have tried compatibility modes for win 95 98/me and xp, and run as admin. but nothing so far

bread's done
Back