Need Help Hooking Up my cable to my TV.

Makaveli_The_Don

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Hey guys.

Just wondering if someone could help me figure out how to hook up my cable to my TV.

I just moved to a new apartment which includes free cable/internet. I'm not too sure what type of cable it is but it is connected with a coax outlet.

Now the problem is my HDTV (Olevia) does NOT have a plug-in for a coax, why not....I don't know. It has an HDMI, S-video, L/R, etc.

My buddy said I might need a cable box? Is that true? Is there any other way?

You might have a TV that's classified as a monitor, which doesn't have an internal tuner. Posting the model # of the TV would be helpful.

A cable box would fix the issue, since it would take the coax in from the wall and give you composite (RCA yellow video & red + white audio), component (RCA red + green + blue video & red + white audio) and possibly HDMI.

You can run the cable through the vcr, assuming you already have to vcr hooked up to your tv. Put the coax in "ant in" or "antenna in" on the vcr. You will get the basic stations, not the HD ones.

[quote name='pacifickarma']You will most likely need a cable box. Your TV has no tuner, and I doubt a DVD player or VCR would provide you with an HD signal.[/QUOTE]

Well at this point I don't really care about the HD signals.

I just need to get this taken care of before the NFL season starts.

So should any cable box do the trick??

I thought they stopped using the analog signal or something, and new TVs already have HD/Digital tuners built in. So, I think you do need a cable box or something since it does sound like you have a monitor.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']Well at this point I don't really care about the HD signals.

I just need to get this taken care of before the NFL season starts.

So should any cable box do the trick??[/QUOTE]

If you don't care about HD just run the coax into the VCR, then S-Video or RCA patch cables from the VCR to the monitor. You'll have to have the monitor set to the correct input you ran the cables to, and then use the VCR to change channels.

yeah, your best bet is a cheap VCR. i dont know of any DVD players that have the option, but some might. if you dont have a VCR you can pick one up at a local thrift store for under $10 bucks.

a cable box probably isnt a good option because theyll likely charge you for it.

Olevia 337H doesn't have a tuner, so you're out of luck there.

You should talk with the cable company that handles your area and see if you can get a cable box from them. Talking with your apartment complex management about it as well should be a good idea, since they need to have some backup plan if you don't have a tuner in your TV.

Don't bother with the idea of a VCR or the like, talk with the cable company and get a cable box. Cleanest and easiest way to get you what you want.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']I don't really care about the HD signals...

...I just need to get this taken care of before the NFL season starts.[/QUOTE]

First sentence cancels the second one.

[quote name='shrike4242']Olevia 337H doesn't have a tuner, so you're out of luck there.

You should talk with the cable company that handles your area and see if you can get a cable box from them. Talking with your apartment complex management about it as well should be a good idea, since they need to have some backup plan if you don't have a tuner in your TV.

Don't bother with the idea of a VCR or the like, talk with the cable company and get a cable box. Cleanest and easiest way to get you what you want.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. If the guy has access to a VCR, and doesn't care about HD, there's no reason to pay the monthly fee (seven dollars around my area) for a cable box through the cable company.

Well, if he does go the VCR route, he still needs a digital TV tuner, as the TV has no tuner, and analog is dead. If you want football, you really need a cable box. If it's about the regular football broadcasts that is aired over the networks, then get a digital tuner.

Good luck finding a VCR with DTV tuner, since those are discontinued like your TV.

[quote name='kaw']I disagree with this. If the guy has access to a VCR, and doesn't care about HD, there's no reason to pay the monthly fee (seven dollars around my area) for a cable box through the cable company.[/QUOTE]Try checking for VCRs with digital tuners. Cheapest I found for a new VCR was the $150-$175 range, which is about 21 months of the $7/month charge you reference. If you could find one used, then you'd save some money, though again, they're not as prolific in the cheap range as you make it out to be.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Well, if he does go the VCR route, he still needs a digital TV tuner, as the TV has no tuner, and analog is dead. If you want football, you really need a cable box. If it's about the regular football broadcasts that is aired over the networks, then get a digital tuner.

Good luck finding a VCR with DTV tuner, since those are discontinued like your TV.[/QUOTE]They're out there, though as I mention above, they're not as cheap as some might thing. VCRs as a whole are starting to disappear somewhat due to the DVR popularity from cable providers, Windows 7 Media Center, MythTV and Tivo. They're available, though not in the $10-$20 range some people believe you can find them at.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I thought they stopped using the analog signal or something, and new TVs already have HD/Digital tuners built in. So, I think you do need a cable box or something since it does sound like you have a monitor.[/QUOTE]

No. Get out of this topic. You don't know what you're talking about.

[quote name='shrike4242']Olevia 337H doesn't have a tuner, so you're out of luck there.

Don't bother with the idea of a VCR or the like, talk with the cable company and get a cable box. Cleanest and easiest way to get you what you want.[/QUOTE]

I talked with the Cable Company (Time Warner) first and they told me I had to talk to the apartment complex. So I did and they gave me some crap about if I were to get a cable box it would cost me $80 from TW, because it would include a ton of things DVR, more channels, etc.

So I'm back to the begining again. Can I get any cable box, will that work on my TV?

Would something like this work?
http://www.buy.com/prod/cables-to-g...-composite-video-and/q/loc/101/202523568.html

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']I talked with the Cable Company (Time Warner) first and they told me I had to talk to the apartment complex. So I did and they gave me some crap about if I were to get a cable box it would cost me $80 from TW, because it would include a ton of things DVR, more channels, etc.

So I'm back to the begining again. Can I get any cable box, will that work on my TV?

http://www.buy.com/prod/cables-to-g...-composite-video-and/q/loc/101/202523568.html[/QUOTE]

No. That's just an Audio/Video switchbox.

You only have two real choices - Buy a TV with a built in tuner or get your own $80/month cable.

[quote name='slowdive21']You can run the cable through the vcr, assuming you already have to vcr hooked up to your tv. Put the coax in "ant in" or "antenna in" on the vcr. You will get the basic stations, not the HD ones.[/QUOTE]

again. I would try this if you have a VCR.

[quote name='Makaveli_The_Don']I talked with the Cable Company (Time Warner) first and they told me I had to talk to the apartment complex. So I did and they gave me some crap about if I were to get a cable box it would cost me $80 from TW, because it would include a ton of things DVR, more channels, etc.

http://www.buy.com/prod/cables-to-g...-composite-video-and/q/loc/101/202523568.html[/QUOTE]I'm surprised they won't just let you rent a cable box on your own, though I'm sure they have to give you service to get the cable box.

The only thing that would work would be a VCR or some other device that has a digital tuner, since your cable company is likely to no longer serve up analog service.

I'd have to also put in the suggestion to find yourself a 37" TV with a built-in tuner. Even if you could find a used cable box from your cable company, they'd have to enable it on their end to have it work.

[quote name='Chuplayer']No. Get out of this topic. You don't know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]
The cable company could've done an analog crush (gone all-digital) for bandwidth reasons, in which case you would need to get a cablecard (and possibly a tuning adapter on top of that) or box from them to get anything.

bread's done
Back