Need help hooking up PS3 to older LCD

sbarbermisier

CAGiversary!
Feedback
147 (100%)
So, I bought a used PS3 a couple years ago from a friend. It sat in my living room and didn't get used much (I mostly play on 360). My wife and I have a camper, which we spend all of our summer weekends, so I decided to take it out there, where it would get much more use: dvd's, blu's, and gaming, of course. The problem is, my tv out there is an older Lcd, and doesn't have HDMI inputs, and when I tried the composite cables (red,white, yellow) I didn't get a signal. Tried a different set of cables and a different tv, and still no signal, which leads me to believe the composite input jack on my PS3 is messed up.

I thought about hooking it up via VGI cable, but I wouldn't have sound because my tv doesn't have an optical jack, either.

If anyone has a solution, other than, of course, buying a new tv, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, in advance.

Make sure when you switch to the composite cable you are holding the power button down for I think 10 seconds. This switches the PS3 from HD to SD. If that doesn't work since you have tried it on a different tv it seems like the out put jack on the PS3 is messed up.

Wow, I never heard of that, but I will definitely try it! So I hook it up, and just hold the power button down for a little while? I hope this works, thanks!

[quote name='sbarbermisier']Wow, I never heard of that, but I will definitely try it! So I hook it up, and just hold the power button down for a little while? I hope this works, thanks![/QUOTE]
Yeah I had the same problem but trying to go HD. It's either 5 or 10 seconds, but the PS3 will reset itself and it should give you an option asking if you can see the screen.

[quote name='sbarbermisier']Wow, I never heard of that, but I will definitely try it! So I hook it up, and just hold the power button down for a little while? I hope this works, thanks![/QUOTE]

You hold the power button down when you go to turn it on. Basically, press the power button to turn the system on, but dont let go and keep holding until you hear a beep. If you dont see anything, shut down the system and try again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries...

I have to do this when switching b/w composite and HDMI on my PS3 fat. Its a lame thing that I hate about the PS3...but at least there is this "workaround" to get the video working. Fortunately I mostly use HDMI, its just when I take my PS3 to other people's house, or plug it into the DVD fold-out screen in my car.

You could possibly use your VGI cable and some sort of receiver or stereo that had an optical input...and ghetto-rig it so the video comes from the TV and the sound from the stereo. Holding the power button down when you power the system on should do it for you though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try the hard reset yet? I see no response to that. Use the composite cables and hold in the power button (while off initially) for about 10 seconds - you should hear a second beep if I am correct.

What is a VGI cable? You've mentioned it twice and I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. Are you talking component cable, VGA cable, DVI cable? Unless the cable itself is a problem, it should not matter as the component and composite cables (and the VGA cable) use the same output on the PS3. I believe a PS3 DVI cable would come out the HDMI port, but I've never used one.

bread's done
Back