Need help installing Windows Vista

TheMoor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I can't seem to get this to install. I set it up on the BIOS to CD-ROM as first boot device. The install prompt comes up and everything seems to be going good, I do a fresh install by formatting the drive I want to install it on, but it always crashes midway through. It gets to a black screen and never recovers. I have tried over 4 times and same thing every time. I even tried the upgrade feature, but to no avail. Here are my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
4300 @ 1.80GHz
1.80GHz, 2.00 GB or RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm usually very good at figuring these kinds of things out on my own, but I really don't understand what is going wrong here. Let me know if you need any additional info on my system.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i'll give the generic "are you sure your copy of vista is good?"[/QUOTE]

Are you asking if it is compatible with my system? I downloaded and ran the "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" program found in the Microsoft website and concluded that my system was indeed Vista capable. The disk I am using is a copy my brother used to upgrade his system, and he had no problem with it. Ive already asked him for help, but he can't figure out why it does not install correctly either on my system.

throw a brick at your tower if you hate it so much to install vista?. Couldn't tell you why it's not installing if your using a legit disc of it. Your RAM is gonna be an issue with the OS though, min is 2 gb to use vista and it's gonna run low. Why not wait till windows 7 comes out shortly?

[quote name='TheMoor']Are you asking if it is compatible with my system? I downloaded and ran the "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" program found in the Microsoft website and concluded that my system was indeed Vista capable. The disk I am using is a copy my brother used to upgrade his system, and he had no problem with it. Ive already asked him for help, but he can't figure out why it does not install correctly either on my system.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh....if those vista upgrade discs are like the windows 98 to XP ones, the keycode will not work for you if it's been used by your brother. You'll have to get another code or new upgrade disc

[quote name='Shadows916']throw a brick at your tower if you hate it so much to install vista?. Couldn't tell you why it's not installing if your using a legit disc of it. Your RAM is gonna be an issue with the OS though, min is 2 gb to use vista and it's gonna run low. Why not wait till windows 7 comes out shortly?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, your right. Ill probably just wait for Windows 7. Just wanted to try out Vista to see why everyone says it's so horrible. The system I mentioned is my second PC, not my main one. Thanks for your input!

[quote name='TheMoor']Yeah, your right. Ill probably just wait for Windows 7. Just wanted to try out Vista to see why everyone says it's so horrible. The system I mentioned is my second PC, not my main one. Thanks for your input![/QUOTE]

gotta love how quickly everyone agrees with the people talking out of their ass. No wonder Vista has such a bad undeserved rap

Let me guess, you pirated a copy and it didn't work.

By the way, I've been using it(legally), and it's not horrible at all.

"Just wanted to try out Vista to see why everyone says it's so horrible"
This doesn't sound like someone who went out and bought it. If you pirate something and it doesn't work, don't blame the software.
If you didn't pirate, then disregard. ;)

Vista was shit when it came out, but it's gotten much better.

Of course, Windows 7 will be shit when it's out, then get better after the first service pack. count on it. It's how the software business model works, especially with Microsoft. It positions these features that it's software either does not have or executes poorly when initially released to scare competitors. Then, they release the software even though it's unfinished, or they don't release it at all. This keeps competition at bay, and this is how they remain on top.

I'm not hating on MS. This is just how they do business, and it's worked WONDERFULLY for them. That's why they're installed on probably 85% of computers in the world.

I think windows 7 is fine so far. It seems like they really learned from vista. I've had no complaints using the windows 7 beta. Its nice that it asks about things much less and does not have such a hard time talking to the older OS systems on the network.

I ran into a new problem with Vista today: the drive shrink is completely broken. Evidently it's a known problem (and even the cause is known), yet MS has no solution: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

This makes #3 on my list for top 10 reasons to stick with XP.

Then again, most Vista issues are power-user issues, so I guess someone that's having trouble installing it probably wouldn't mind.

FTR, I

I would recommend putting Linux on your machine. I have a triple boot of Vista/XP/Linux and I use Ubuntu more than any of the other OS's. Vista always crashes..

[quote name='redline']lf your Vista disc is pre SP1 you must install with no more than 1GB of RAM.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean "no less than"? Because your current claim isn't true.

Reality's Fringe;5473668 said:
Vista was shit when it came out, but it's gotten much better.

Of course, Windows 7 will be shit when it's out, then get better after the first service pack. count on it. It's how the software business model works, especially with Microsoft. It positions these features that it's software either does not have or executes poorly when initially released to scare competitors. Then, they release the software even though it's unfinished, or they don't release it at all. This keeps competition at bay, and this is how they remain on top.

I'm not hating on MS. This is just how they do business, and it's worked WONDERFULLY for them. That's why they're installed on probably 85% of computers in the world.

I strongly disagree. I have Win7 running on a laptop and a desktop system, both of which formerly ran Vista and the experience has been very positive thus far. I have no desire to revert to Vista on those machines if it can be avoided, and this is coming from someone who liked Vista from the beginning.

Since I have a 3-way SATA switch in the desktop, going back to Vista only requires a shutdown, turn switch to middle position, and boot. Even so, I haven't felt the need to run from the Vista drive since the Win7 beta was installed. It'll likely only be used when trying to deal with supporting client over the phone when I need to see what they're seeing but remoting isn't an option.

The big advantage for Win7 is that it benefits from all of the progress made on Vista drivers and app development. It is a refinement of Vista rather than a major break with the past as Vista represented to XP. So the average user experience on day 1 of its release will be far smoother than it was for all but a thing slice of Vista systems that used properly supported components.

[quote name='epobirs']I strongly disagree. I have Win7 running on a laptop and a desktop system, both of which formerly ran Vista and the experience has been very positive thus far. I have no desire to revert to Vista on those machines if it can be avoided, and this is coming from someone who liked Vista from the beginning.

Since I have a 3-way SATA switch in the desktop, going back to Vista only requires a shutdown, turn switch to middle position, and boot. Even so, I haven't felt the need to run from the Vista drive since the Win7 beta was installed. It'll likely only be used when trying to deal with supporting client over the phone when I need to see what they're seeing but remoting isn't an option.

The big advantage for Win7 is that it benefits from all of the progress made on Vista drivers and app development. It is a refinement of Vista rather than a major break with the past as Vista represented to XP. So the average user experience on day 1 of its release will be far smoother than it was for all but a thing slice of Vista systems that used properly supported components.[/QUOTE]

I've been using the Windows 7 beta for a little while now and there is certainly some potential there, but it needs another beta. It's almost as stable as Vista which is a good thing at this point. The new taskbar needs work. There are still plenty of weird stuff in it and too many things that don't work as they should.

Vista's stable enough, that's not the issue. Vista's issues are mostly with the retarded way it handles drivers. There are a lot of issues there.. if you install only Vista and nothing else, it's alright (still a couple problems, especially with networking and disk management) but that's not the sign of a good OS.

Drivers made for Vista run better on Win7 than on Vista, it's funny.

For example, on Vista my video is fucked -- I've got drivers for my video card (nvidia) and my monitor (hp) and there's some sort of conflict with Direct3D scaling in Vista. If I alt-tab from a game my resolution changes to 800x600 and I can't fix it without rebooting. HP's MyDisplay acknowledges I'm not at my preferred resolution, as does Nvidia control panel, but no matter where I change the resolution from (from Windows, from the nvidia control panel or from HP mydisplay) it stays at 800x600. Win7 doesn't have this issue at all, it scales properly back to my desktop's 1920x1200 after alt-tabbing a game. Another display driver issue that comes to mind is my monitor's ambient light sensor: bugged in Vista, fine in Win7.

There are many many many instances akin to this of Win7 dominating Vista in terms of driver compatibility but I just wanted to give one specific example.

Even ruling out new features, Win7 wins in implementation of old features: the drive shrink actually works (Vista's is bugged, known issue that MS evidently doesn't feel like fixing), disk defrag is back to WinXP quality (Vista was a huge step backwards, Win7 reverses that backstep), home networking (another instance of win7 > xp > vista), etc..

I

I had a lot of problems with my internet on Vista that I just couldn't resolve, it would load up Google and then maybe 10% of the sites (must have had something to do with security).

I couldn't figure it out and switched back to XP. I get full versions from school for $10 bucks so it wasn't a huge disappointment.

bread's done
Back