Need help picking a new gaming hdtv

amazon has a problem listing key features:(

i cant find the MS rate or Contrast ratio which are huge when buying a gaming tv.

generally you want 2ms so you can hook your pc up to your tv without any lag and i would get 100k contrast ratio. my 40 inch cost 900 2 years ago and a big thing that jacked the price up over other tvs like it was it was 100k contrast ratio while i think the average tv was lucky to get to 70k =p

[quote name='Mateo66']Just wanted to get some more info from the fine folks here on these tv's.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL50EX645-50-Inch-1080p-Internet/dp/B008XG1N7C

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752RAZY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just want to get out of the way that plasma is not an option for me. Also, this will primarily be a gaming tv as I don't watch tv or movies very often. Thanks for the info![/QUOTE]

If you don't see yourself watching TV or Movies often do you see yourself using either TVs features like Youtube/Hulu+/Netflix/Amazon Instant Video? Or the 3D capabilities often? Do you consider yourself a "videophile"?

I ask because if you can wait 'till around Black Friday you can probably get a good 47" for $500 or $600.

I got a budget HDTV (Vizio) a "dumb" one (No Apps or 3D) and I saved $300 and it seems nice and sharp to me. Gaming consoles have Youtube/Hulu+/Netflix/AMZVideo, so that feature seems useless to anybody with a console hooked up to it. Do you have a tablet or something to utilize it's other features? I've owned only 1 other Vizio before my current one, and it lasted 3 years before I sold it to a family member for real cheap. Still works for him.

From what I remember when I was researching my TV:

- You want a low response time.
- Refresh rate doesn't matter after 120Hz. (Might be 60 even, not sure)
- Contrast Ratios on HDTVs don't have a standard to go by. So any MF can bullshit and say 100,000:1. It's best to read the reviews.

But if you've already looked this shit up and just want us to decide on these 2, I'd say the Panasonic one since it's way cheaper and it has more reviews at the same average as the Sony one.

Also, this should be in the Deal/Shopping discussion forum. You might get more responses there.

Thanks for the responses! I have no intention of hooking up my pc to my tv as I only game on the 360 and PS3. I would wait for Black Friday but I only have 30 days to return the tv I have now.

I was going to suggest the LG OLED coming out for the holidays. That's the type of TV you want for gaming, movies, etc.
Insanely high contrast, low power consumption, tech that doesn't do blacks for shit(see: LCD). If Plasma's not an option don't settle for an obsolete tech now. I just wish LCD would die already. It's had its day already and it's already hindering penetration of TV's that can start to do close to the perfect color reproduction CRT's had.

Return the tv you have at the end of the return period, then pick up a new led during the black friday deals. I wouldn't get a tv with built in streaming, as you can get a roku or similar device for under $100, and it will work much better and will continually be supported after your tv manufacturer abandons the software on your set. You can pick up a 55"-60" 3d led for under $1k right now, so come black Friday, i wouldn't be surprised to see many for around $700 or less.

Televisions have a very high margin, so they're usually discounted to a greater degree than other electronics.

bread's done
Back