Need help picking a router for online play

l_unico

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm new to the whole online playing arena and want to hook up my PS2, XBOX and possibly an extra computer to my current DSL connected computer.
I have service with ATT and my Incoming speed is 3008 kbps and Outgoing is 512 kbps. I was looking at this router

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI/ref=cm_ciu_pdpimg_prodinfo/103-6030523-4051806?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

So, if I buy this router can i place it on a coffee table next to my PS2 and XBOX which is about 5 feet from my computer and then just
connect ethernet cables from the PS2/XBOX to the router? Also where do i find the cheapest ethernet cable for a PS2/XBOX, if I buy only one can I
just switch between the PS2/XBOX?

Also, my sister might get a computer in the near future, so would this router be able to share the DSL with mine. Her room is about 20/22 feet away and
the signal would have to go through 4 walls (we live in a house that used to be a duplex). I know i have to buy an adapter and was looking at
these 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WMP54G-Wireless-G-PCI-Adapter/dp/B000085BD8/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_4_title/103-6030523-4051806
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WUSB54G-Wireless-G-USB-Adapter/dp/B00009X6PH/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_5_title/103-6030523-4051806

Is there any difference between the 2 besides the obvious(PCI/USB) I would rather go with the USB one.
Thanks

forgot to mention i bought the ps2 and xbox used so i dont have the online start up disc for the ps2. am i screwed?

[quote name='l_unico']so, the one i linked to would be fine? and i see you have a XBL account, which router do you use?[/QUOTE]

I use this router http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/DG834.aspx That is in the "computer room." and then an ethernet cable running from that to a Airnet 8 port switch in my room...I use the internet alot!

[quote name='l_unico']forgot to mention i bought the ps2 and xbox used so i dont have the online start up disc for the ps2. am i screwed?[/QUOTE]

They can be had off ebay I suppose.

You first need to make sure that nothing else in your home runs on 2.4ghz frequency (i.e cordless phone)

To answer your questions in order.

1. Yes you can hook your ps2/xbox them up with ethernet wires but make sure that model has enough ports in the back for wires. Your going to need cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable.I've used both and never noticed a difference in speed.

2. With the two different wireless adapters. One is pci-express If your
computer doesn't have it then you'll need a normally PCI one.

Linksys is consider one of the best but I had many problems with quality of their products. I bought a router and had to return it. Then when I got a new one, after 6 months I had to send it into linksys for repair. They were always hooked up to a surge protector.
Later on I bought a printing hub, and it broke.

I use netgear now, and they make really good products. Also if your not good at networking they come with software that makes setup easier if your new to networking. However I recommend learning some things about networking so you can make your router more secure.

Um about your ps2 question you dont need an online setup disc you can do it with any online game. So your not screwed you can just set one up using one of the ps2 online games. I think..

[quote name='assassinX']Um about your ps2 question you dont need an online setup disc you can do it with any online game. So your not screwed you can just set one up using one of the ps2 online games. I think..[/QUOTE]

If its the slim ps2 I think you need the online disc. I'm not super positive so if another CAG could chime in.

wow, thanks for all the help, think i'm gonna go with the link one since its cheaper and i found out that it's possible to setup the slim ps2 w/o the disc..i got the info from playstation underground..wow p u of all places

PS2 Online Start-up Disc is not necessary, no matter what version of PS2 you own. If you already have a network adapter and no startup disc, most, if not all PS2 games that are online capable have the software on the game to help setup your internet connection.

bread's done
Back