need help picking between laptops

menewbe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
hey all..well ive been planning on getting a laptop for a long time now and waited until the new sonoma chipsets came out... anyway ive been looking at the Sager NP4880 -V1 from http://www.discountlaptops.com and the Inspiron 9300 from dell.com.. heres a comparison after i configured them. what do you guys think?..

same
pen m 760 [2ghz/533mhz fsb]
1 gig ram
win xp
60 gb hd 5400rpm
dvd+-rw dual layer burner
wireless a/b/g 54 mbps
1 yr ltd warranty
1 yr adp warranty

................................sager........................dell

price shipped HI.........$2148.......................$2308
display.......................15.1" sxga+..............17" wuxga truelife
ram...........................1 gig ddr...................1 gig ddr2
vid card.....................256mb x700..............256mb go 6800
battery......................12cell........................9cell
lan............................10/100/1000..............10/100
floppy........................external....................none
web cam....................integrated.................none
media reader..............4 in 1.......................none
coupon.......................none........................-$750
extra.........................carry case ................surge suppresser
................................................................22 issues of pc mag

From a gaming standpoint, the Sager has the better video card. So I'd go with that one.

From a portability standpoint, neither. I have a ~7-8lb laptop and it's a bitch and a half to carry for the entire day.

my mom wants to buy a labtop to use for school but im defentifly going to be using it to i want to start playing pc games never played any looking into half-life 2 and far cry, any way im thinking of going to alien ware for the laptop is aliean ware good? hows the warranty on thier stuff i here dells pretty good with thier warranty and customer service!!!

[quote name='xenoman80']my mom wants to buy a labtop to use for school but im defentifly going to be using it to i want to start playing pc games never played any looking into half-life 2 and far cry, any way im thinking of going to alien ware for the laptop is aliean ware good? hows the warranty on thier stuff i here dells pretty good with thier warranty and customer service!!![/quote]

alienware is way over priced. its like buying an ipod, its a quality computer but youre paying way too much for the look.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='xenoman80']my mom wants to buy a labtop to use for school but im defentifly going to be using it to i want to start playing pc games never played any looking into half-life 2 and far cry, any way im thinking of going to alien ware for the laptop is aliean ware good? hows the warranty on thier stuff i here dells pretty good with thier warranty and customer service!!![/quote]

alienware is way over priced. its like buying an ipod, its a quality computer but youre paying way too much for the look.[/quote]
lol any other recommendations besides dell? are dells gaming labtops any good?

[quote name='xenoman80'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='xenoman80']my mom wants to buy a labtop to use for school but im defentifly going to be using it to i want to start playing pc games never played any looking into half-life 2 and far cry, any way im thinking of going to alien ware for the laptop is aliean ware good? hows the warranty on thier stuff i here dells pretty good with thier warranty and customer service!!![/quote]

alienware is way over priced. its like buying an ipod, its a quality computer but youre paying way too much for the look.[/quote]
lol any other recommendations besides dell? are dells gaming labtops any good?[/quote] anyone????

LaPtops are sometimes easily upgradable, though not as much so as desktops obviouly. but if you get one like the pcs mentioned here, you should not need to worry about upgrading. also, i hear the dell xps laptop is good for gaming. if you are looking for a gaming laptop, you wanna go all out when you buy the laptop because if your laptop isn't met for gaming, then you are not going to play games well.

Yeah...laptop.

I'd suggest a laptop from a credible source with good tech support like Dell. Nothing more frustrating than a PC you can't get fixed. Laptops aren't as accesible as desktops so a good tech support is a must.

[quote name='xenoman80']are labtops easily upgradeable??[/quote]

Depending on the laptop, you can install more ram or swap the video card (I've only seen it on the Alienware models), but that's about it. However, laptops retain their monetary value fairly well, especially compared to desktop and desktop components.

i want it for gaming but my moms going to be using it for school work an stuff i dont need to worry about hardrive space since i got an external 200gb hd. she'be mostly typing up papers and maybe suffering the net but i want to play pc games like half-life 2 and fay cry and doom. those are excelllent games but ive never been a pc gamer also want to play a little counter strike!

if you want a good gaming laptop your going to spend at leas $2500 most likely, unless you get a good deal from dell(they have $750 off right now).

[quote name='b3b0p']Why not just get a desktop if your getting laptop that weighs just as much and is twice the cost?

Chris[/quote]
my mom needs a laptop for school didnt you read my post? i plan on getting a desktop soon i wanna build it myself. that way ican learn alittle and learn to keep it updated

[quote name='xenoman80'][quote name='b3b0p']Why not just get a desktop if your getting laptop that weighs just as much and is twice the cost?

Chris[/quote]
my mom needs a laptop for school didnt you read my post? i plan on getting a desktop soon i wanna build it myself. that way ican learn alittle and learn to keep it updated[/quote]
^^ I
I'd assume she is going to use it to take notes during class..

I'd steer away from Dell, but PC laptops aren't really the best way to go.. at least for your mom. I think she would prefer a Mac, no?

You won't be gaming on the road, most likely, and your mom doesn't want to carry around this heavy-ass laptop with her.. Just upgrade your home PC and get the Mac for your mom or whatever..

Sorry I'm pushing the Macs, but I recently used one for an extended period of time and it was very impressive -- and extremely easy to use yet powerful..

Ignore my comments if you're a mac-basher (Which you should not be because they are equally capable of anything as PC's are, and they *usually* manage it better).

I read your post. Your thinking of buying a 10lb laptop. What is the point of buying a laptop that is not portable? That was my point. You are basically buying a laptop that nearly weighs as much as a desktop. Well, it does have a monitor. However, you will be going through alot of soap with how dirty your mouth gets carrying that around.

I am not a Mac basher, but I would buy a PC. I used to own a Mac (Powerbook) and my first reason for not getting a Mac again is cost. I sold my Powerbook and was able to build from brand new parts a very fast PC including lcd monitor and a brand new laptop from Dell for less then what I SOLD my powerbook for (meaning I had money left over after selling a used computer). I do love Mac OS X, but that is the only reason I would buy a Mac. My opinion on buying a Mac is your spending twice the money for just the operating system. I am a linux user (as is my mom) and we like the choice of using it over Windows.

Another reason I would get a pc (actually a Dell Laptop for that matter) is support. Apple warranties suck. My 1 year old iPod and my best friends 1 year old iPod should be enough evidence for that. They want us to buy new iPods claiming it is cheaper for us to spend $300 on new iPod then it is to get ours fixed. Don't get me started on the battery either. On my Dell Laptop and my mom's Dell Laptop we paid like an extra $100 for 3 years of Complete care. We spill our soda or coffee on it they fix it or replace it. We drop it, they fix it or repair it. And yes, it does work (from experience).

I would not exceed 7lbs for a laptop. My laptop is an Inspiron 8600. I love it! I bring it every where I go and if it was even a hair bigger I would have returned it in a heart beat and gotten the same laptop as my moms, an inspiron 600m. The 600m is nice, small, light, and works perfect! Highly recommended. Works wonderful with Linux too! My best friend has a 700m and Damn! it is tiny! However, I would steer way clear of that 9300 or anything so large for a portable. You will most likely regret it.

Chris

[quote name='spidey']From a gaming standpoint, the Sager has the better video card. So I'd go with that one.

From a portability standpoint, neither. I have a ~7-8lb laptop and it's a bitch and a half to carry for the entire day.[/quote]

That's why I got my light laptop...

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='spidey']From a gaming standpoint, the Sager has the better video card. So I'd go with that one.

From a portability standpoint, neither. I have a ~7-8lb laptop and it's a bitch and a half to carry for the entire day.[/quote]

That's why I got my light laptop...[/quote]

Yeah, I'm in the market to replace this behemoth. I need not a P4 2.6GHZ lappy when I have a more powerful desktop. Anything 10" inch or 3-4lbs is looking really good right now.

dam you guys no so such well i guess ill just let my mom go get her own laptop and build my own pc !!!!! my friends tell me that it is alot cheaper to build a pc then to buy one from a company and i could customize it for what i want it to do which will be watching movies and animes that i download (naruto!!!,full metal alchemist,)
and listening to music. i really want to gt into pc gaming so i can play games like half-life 1 and 2 and doom and far cry!!! and play roms that i got ( all the roms i own i have the og game just to clear that up) i dont really need to worry about hard drive space since i got a 200gb extenal hard drive just the other stuff!!

thanks for all the input guys.. i got the 9300 despite the weight. they had me paying $108 for next day shipping but after a couple calls/web chats with them i was able to get free 2-day shipping.

Just avoid all compaq and most HP laptops... I know for a fact they use cheap plastic hinges and mine from use broke. It's not fun having to make a chain so your laptop screen doesn't fall back and stays upright.

Never go back to gaming that is ;)

But dell has some great delas on notebooks now. I got my inspirion 700m on a similar deal for 800 flat. Pretty nice if you ask me.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Not to hijack this thread or anything, but how reliable is Toshiba as compared to Dell in regards to labtops??[/quote]

Not my experience, but I had a friend that purchased a Toshiba Satellite. It went through a video card and two motherboards. Overheating of sorts.

When buying a laptop, I see it as buying a car. They generally work well but there may be a few lemons within the bunch.

The only company that I consistently hear complaints about is HP/Compaq.

[quote name='screwkick'][quote name='Coolnat2004']Get a mac..[/quote]

Yeah, once you go Mac, you never go back.[/quote]

I went back.

[quote name='spidey'][quote name='strayfoxx']Not to hijack this thread or anything, but how reliable is Toshiba as compared to Dell in regards to labtops??[/quote]

Not my experience, but I had a friend that purchased a Toshiba Satellite. It went through a video card and two motherboards. Overheating of sorts.

When buying a laptop, I see it as buying a car. They generally work well but there may be a few lemons within the bunch.

The only company that I consistently hear complaints about is HP/Compaq.[/quote]

My friend bought a Toshiba Satellite a little over a year ago, no problems, I bought one about 6 months ago and have yet to have any problems. I love having a power laptop, I gave my desktop to my brother. It's kind of a pain to lug it around, but being able to play world of warcraft on campus with a 17 inch wide screen is kinda neat. I've bought a desktop from dell (the one i gave to my brother) and its running strong still with no hardware or software problems to date. But to stick to the topic of this thread why are you even considering anything but the dell, the 750 dollar coupon makes it the best choice by far.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Not to hijack this thread or anything, but how reliable is Toshiba as compared to Dell in regards to labtops??[/quote]

I have to say no.

Mine is a Toshiba Satellite, and it has been nothing but trouble to me. I'm on at least my third power supply, it had dead pixels out of the box, and my DVD drive died just recently. Concerning the power supply, I have to have the cable in a certain position or it won't work. I've broken 2 AC adapters already. I've sent it off three times for repair, and it always comes back not much better than when I sent it off.

[quote name='b3b0p']My laptop is an Inspiron 8600. I love it![/quote]
What distro do you have on it?

I had a toshiba as well before I bought my 700m, I had no real problems with it, except that some jerk in lecture knocked my screen and bruised it. The 700m is a crazy ultraportable though and they have the bigger media version of it. I wouldve gotten that one if they had it avaialble at the time.

It's funny how Mac fanboys answer so fast when somone asks for advice between 2 PC notebooks. they instantly have to tell them to get a Mac. Listen here, if he wanted a mac in the first place he wouldve put it on his short list =p. And if you're gonna insist on inseting your mac advice maybe you should tell him WHY to get a mac.

And yes I went mac before, we used them all the time back in highschool and UCI had some on campus and they ran like crap and crashed as well.

im getting the dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 havnt purchased it yet hoping to hear last min thoughts. are there any discounts avalible??
heres some stuff that i can add to my purchase that i might go with give me a yes or no if this stuff is really nessary!! u guys all ready no im planning to buy a few games to break in my laptop like half life 1 and 2 and counter strike and doom and call of duty.
heres the extras
1) Single Channel USB2.0 TV Tuner with remote for Windows XP Media Center 2005 [add $149 or $4/month2]

2) SAVE $100 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty,At-Home Srvc + Nights and Weekend [add $399 or $12/month2] Dell Recommended

3)Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 4Yr Lim Warranty [add $119 or $3/month2] Dell Recommended

4)Memory
1= 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
2= 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm [add $200 or $6/month2]
3= 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm [add $750 or $22/month2]
4)Hard Drive
1= 60GB Hard Drive
2= 60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive [add $99 or $3/month2
3= 80GB Hard Drive [add $49 or $1/month2]
4= 100GB Hard Drive [add $129 or $3/month2]

5) External Sound Card
1= Creative Audigy 2NX External USB [add $100 or $3/month2]
2= Inspire P7800 with Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX [add $199 or $6/month2]

so can you help me guys!!!!!!!! what do you guys think i need i know ill be able to use microsoft word and excel and stuff like that but all these other features and accessorys do i really need for gaming??

If you're getting a gaming laptop, put a gig of RAM on it. And if onboard audio is your only other option, you should opt for the cheapest sound card you can get. But, honestly, gaming laptops are rather wasteful.

bread's done
Back