Need help picking the best Sega Genesis, CD and 32x games.

E_G_Man

CAGiversary!
So over the summer I was able to purchase a Sega Genesis, Sega CD and Sega 32X and a handful of games at a garage sale for $10. However, I grew up in a NES/SNES home and am unaware of many of the gems that came out for the system and was hoping to get a few suggestions on games to get (Especially Sega CD and 32X games since I only own one of each (Snacher
Which I actually got at a decent price
and Doom32X respectively).

The Genesis games I own are mainly the Sonic games and a nice variety of aging sports games.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I really enjoyed Tomcat Alley and the Third World War for Sega CD. I don't know how well Tomcat Alley would have held up though. Sega Genesis had some great brawlers, I really enjoyed the Streets of Rage Series, and I think my Favorite game was General Chaos. So much fun and hilarous. Never owned a 32x though.

Just to reiterate, I am also looking for Gen games as well.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions so far!

Revenge of Shinobi is the very best
Shinobi 3 is pretty good
Toejam and earl is fun
Castlevania bloodline
Contra hardcorps
Strider
Ghouls n Ghosts
TMNT hyperstone heist
Tthe Immortal
and maybe Aladdin if you like the movie

Sega CD: All of it's RPGs ( Lunar 1,Lunar 2, Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Vay, Shining Force CD, Snatcher). I liked Eternal Champions for it as well. Sonic CD you can find for the PS2 or Gamecube in the Sonic Gems collection. Robo Aleste is an awesome shooter. Flink is a decent platformer. Good shooters were Lords of Thunder and Android Assualt. You might also enjoy Batman Returns for its nice music and driving sequences.

Genesis: Most were named. Look for Herzog Zwei, anything Shining Force, Landstalker, Immortal, Beyond Oasis, Lion King was pretty awesome.
Exile, Gaires, SoR 1 and 2. I hated 3. Flashback was pretty wicked. Damn... too many more to list. Revenge of Shinobi is awesome as well. I'll get back to you on what I still have in my collection.

I can not recommend Shinobi III enough. One of my top all time games.
Also the Genesis had a few great obscure (and cheap) games. I'd check for:

Chiki Chiki Boys - A Capcom action platformer, reminds me of the wonder boy games.

Mutant League Football & Hockey are great sports games.

Dragon's Fury is a great pinball game (it was released as Devil's crush on the TurboGrafx

Holyfield Boxing is my all time favorite boxing game.

For the Sega CD find Silpheed

32X had games?

I'd suggest also hunting for Final Fight on the Sega CD. Better soundtrack, better graphics than the SNES version and not as badly censored as the SNES one. If you can somehow find them, look out for Working Designs' games (Lunar, Popful Mail, etc.)

MUSHA, Target Earth, Thunder Force 3 and 4, Phantasy Star II and IV, Mercs, Forgotten Worlds, Golden Axe I and II, Streets of Rage series, Final Fight CD, Ghouls and Ghosts, Kid Chameleon, Robo Aleste (Sega CD), Dune: The Battle for Arrakis, Herzog Zwei, Sonic and Knuckles, Gunstar Heroes, Ranger X ... If I can think of more, Ill let you know. --

There was this one game I played ages ago with my little bros and it was hell of fun. It was called Arcus Odessey. It was a top 3/4 view adventure game. Don't forget the Earthworm Jim games. Those were a riot.

My favorite 32X games were Knuckles Chaotix, Afterburner, Space Harrier, and Virtua Racing Deluxe. Avoid Cosmic Carnage like the plague.

For Sega CD, my favorites were Lunar: The Silver Star, Dark Wizard, Sonic CD, Silpheed, and Shining Force CD. Someone recommended Vay earlier; I'm sure it's a collectible, but it's not a very good game as I recall.

[quote name='coolz481']My favorite 32X games were Knuckles Chaotix, Afterburner, Space Harrier, and Virtua Racing Deluxe. Avoid Cosmic Carnage like the plague.

For Sega CD, my favorites were Lunar: The Silver Star, Dark Wizard, Sonic CD, Silpheed, and Shining Force CD. Someone recommended Vay earlier; I'm sure it's a collectible, but it's not a very good game as I recall.[/quote]

The pace sucked, but the story was awesome. It reminds me of Final Fantasy 2.

[quote name='vasco']The pace sucked, but the story was awesome. It reminds me of Final Fantasy 2.[/QUOTE]

I just remember feeling really let down that it was not up to the quality of Lunar. I'd pick up a Wii again in a heartbeat if some of those old Sega CD RPG's were added to the virtual console.

[quote name='coolz481']I just remember feeling really let down that it was not up to the quality of Lunar. I'd pick up a Wii again in a heartbeat if some of those old Sega CD RPG's were added to the virtual console.[/quote]

It's bound to happen. Look at what they're doing with TurboDuo games. I'm sure they can do the same for Sega CD games.

Pick up Final Fight CD. It had better graphics than the nes version, all of the characters, and awesome remixed music. Another gem is Silpheed.

Hey thank you for all of the suggestions. Now it is time for me to comb the thrift stores to see what I can find.

There's only one game you need: Toejam & Earl (the first one, not the second one). A year or 2 before the Wii and the virtual console were released, I bought a used Sega Genesis just so I could have this game. I think I paid $15 for the console and a pile of crap games, and then I paid $30 on ebay for TJ&E!

If you have a Wii, you could just buy it for $8 on the Virtual Console. It's a great 2 player game, I recommend it either way.

Definately pick up kid chameleon it is made up of epic win

Musha is amazing as well

Comix zone was fun

Dynamite headdy

Double dragon

Wonderboy In monster world

Space harrier is pretty good

Of course get the streets of rage series

biohazard battle is like my favorite shoot em up of all time

One game I haven't seen listed is Gemfire. Its made by KOEI (Nobunaga's Ambition) and set in medieval times. Its plastic gold.

dan

Sega CD games that are good include Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, Popful Mail, Dungeon Explorer, Lords of Thunder, Vay, Shining Force, Heimdahl, Road Rash, Mortal Kombat, the Neo Geo conversions, Snatcher, Cosmic Adventure and Sonic CD

32X games worth mentioning are Star Wars, Doom, Kolibri, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and Mortal Kombat 2 (the best version made).

[quote name='tonic2']There's only one game you need: Toejam & Earl (the first one, not the second one). A year or 2 before the Wii and the virtual console were released, I bought a used Sega Genesis just so I could have this game. I think I paid $15 for the console and a pile of crap games, and then I paid $30 on ebay for TJ&E!

If you have a Wii, you could just buy it for $8 on the Virtual Console. It's a great 2 player game, I recommend it either way.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more - the first Toejam and Earl is probably my favorite game of all time. It's simply fantastic, especially with two players! The second game wasn't anywhere near as good, although it was still pretty fun to play.

and then some other games.....

-Streets of Rage (any of them, although 2 and 3 are the best)
-MERCS - awesome shooter and should be pretty cheap
-Splatterhouse 2 and 3
-Mutant League Hockey
-Comix Zone
-Quackshot
-Rock and Roll Racing
-Beyond Oasis
-Gunstar Heroes

I also want to recommend Greendog, but I think I'm the only person in the world that liked that game, so maybe only pick it up if it's cheap haha.

Oh man thinking about this makes me want to play Sega! I think I'll have to break mine out again once I finish BioShock...

These have already been mention, but giving another vote to some games couldn't hurt:

MUSHA
Kid Chameleon
Decap Attack

Oh, and a game to avoid:

Dark Castle... that was the worst christmas ever.

bread's done
Back