Need help removing viruses

Ultimate Matt X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Recently my desktop with Windows XP got hit pretty hard with a virus. Specifically, a trojan that seems to effect Firefox and Internet Explorer by making a pop-up continue showing up that claims to be an antivirus. There seems to be a few other trohans on it too. Also, the computer takes like 20 minutes to boot up now. Anyway, I've tried running various spyware software and AVG antivirus, but nothing seems to completely get rid of it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of just formatting the whole thing, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a better approach before I do that or if that is the best way to go? I have the storage space and everything to do that. I don't have a Windows installation disc, but I think I can figure that out and may even go with a different operating system like Linux. It does have a seperate restore partition, but it doesn't seem to go back to when I first go the computer.

So any tips on reformating Windows XP, antivirus programs, or operating systems would be appreciated.

If this is the fake Antivirus 2009 trojan, just keep running Malwarebytes until it doesn't fine anything. I've seen this many times at work.

Another general tip is to run your antivirus scan when the PC is running in "safe mode." Safe mode prevents many viruses from running and makes it easier for your antivirus program to do it's job.

Depending on how...viral they actually are, you may want to back up the files you want to keep, scan/disinfect those separately, and then totally wipe out (format) the desktop's drive. I guess it depends on which viruses you have.

Well haven't had a chance to work on the computer yet, but hopefully soon. I don't have the trojan names with me right now, but I did save them.

Where in windows is the place to format a drive? I'm currently working on getting an extra Windows disc in case that is what I decide to do.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Well haven't had a chance to work on the computer yet, but hopefully soon. I don't have the trojan names with me right now, but I did save them.

Where in windows is the place to format a drive? I'm currently working on getting an extra Windows disc in case that is what I decide to do.[/QUOTE]
If you want to format the drive Windows is on, you have to do it from outside Windows. Easiest way if you plan to reinstall Windows is to boot from a Windows disc and delete every partition during the installation. Of course back up your data before you do that.

[quote name='jalu6']If this is the fake Antivirus 2009 trojan, just keep running Malwarebytes until it doesn't fine anything. I've seen this many times at work.[/quote]

Yea, got that same one a couple of weeks ago. Would not go away no matter how many programs I used to try and get rid of it. Luckily, it just went away a couple of days later.

I would also recommend Avira Antivir. That and Malwarebytes eventually did the trick for me. Also HiJackThis if you know what you're doing.

Okay ran Anti-Malware and the computer is now starting normally. Unfortunately, the trojan VUNDO keeps popping up. It is slightly different than the fake antivirsus one you guys are talking about, but similiar for the most part. I'll try to run a few more programs to get rid of it.

Open your task manager, click processes, tick the box that shows process by all users..google the name of each thing running.

Keep running malware bites. i had the recent antivirus 2009 stuff and once i rid it, I still had vundo lurking around like it took a shit as it left. Seriously run malware bites, until it shows clean then restart and run it til clean again. It will eventually get rid of it.

Ha....I feel your pain OP. I had vundo on my computer about a month ago and was a pain in the ass, but I think I finally got rid of it.

1st run vundofix like Chrichton suggested.
It got rid of a lot of the problem but i still got .dll load errors at startup (annoying as hell)

Then I ran Spybot Search & Destroy -free program- http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html
This got rid of more of the nasty little Vundo files, but not all of them.

Then I ran it again but in SafeMode like was suggested above and I havent had any popups/error messages/problems since.

Good Luck.

Thanks, I'm currently running VundoFix and getting a newer version of Spybot. I'll run those and then probably run Anti-Malaware again. I'll try that other anti-virus also.

bread's done
Back