Need help with a good gaming monitor

bobo2k4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
I've always gamed on a small hd tv but now now looking into something a bit bigger for the ps3.

Not trying to spend over $200 and looking for at least 20" widescreen.

Also what kinda cables would I need?

Over 20" and under $200? Not going to happen. Well, it could, but... you'll hate the monitor that money will buy you. The closest thing to a decent monitor at that price is one of Samsung's 20" models. Those should run you around $250, but 20" is pretty small, especially if you plan on lounging while playing shit at all. And while i dunno the specifics of the monitor you'll end up getting, the best option is probably getting an HDMI cable and then an HDMI to DVI adapter to plug the PS3 into the monitor. A lot of monitors also have component video inputs, which are probably easier since you don't need to buy any adapters, but the video quality isn't quite as good.

Wow... those are some harsh restrictions.

As Chac said, your best (and probably) only bet is a computer monitor which you can use with the PS3 (HDMI to DVI) and 360 (VGA cables).

Office Max sells a Soyo 24" monitor, and people have been getting them for 270 bucks. I know that's over your limit, but I own it and use it for my 360. It's pretty awesome for the money. One of the best purchases I've ever made, and I've gotten a lot of good deals in the past.

Onemore question: How have you always gamed on a small HDTV, but are looking for something bigger, and it's at least gotta be 20 inches? Have you been using a 19" widescreen HDTV?

[quote name='Chacrana']You see, OP? The best you can do is a monitor from a brand nobody's ever heard of, or a monitor made of Soy.[/quote]

:D

Actually, check out some of the past forums regarding the Soyo monitor at Fatwallet and Slickdeals. It's maxed out on rep points, and it's a surprisingly great monitor for the price. I don't know a whole lot about monitors, but some of the comments that were made over there are that it's not a TN panel and it's an 8-bit panel. I guess that's supposed to be a good thing. All I know is that the picture quality is great. It's just kind of bulky.

[quote name='jaso']Onemore question: How have you always gamed on a small HDTV, but are looking for something bigger, and it's at least gotta be 20 inches? Have you been using a 19" widescreen HDTV?[/QUOTE]

A little 15" tv. It worked fine with my 360 but would like something bigger these days.

[quote name='bobo2k4']A little 15" tv. It worked fine with my 360 but would like something bigger these days.[/quote]

Oh Jesus, you have my deepest sympathies...;)

For size reference, here's what a 24" monitor would look like in relation to other things on my cluttered gaming station. Notice CAG on my laptop ... REPPED!

1304168927_6dbbeaf448.jpg

See link for monitor: http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&prodBlockOID=1611616418&expansionOID=-536879891

[quote name='jaso']:D

Actually, check out some of the past forums regarding the Soyo monitor at Fatwallet and Slickdeals. It's maxed out on rep points, and it's a surprisingly great monitor for the price. I don't know a whole lot about monitors, but some of the comments that were made over there are that it's not a TN panel and it's an 8-bit panel. I guess that's supposed to be a good thing. All I know is that the picture quality is great. It's just kind of bulky.[/QUOTE]

I'd still rather have a Samsung over that. My highest monitor recommendation is definitely Dell, but that's clearly out of the question here... the Samsung is the closest thing he'll get to a great gaming monitor (and it is good, make no mistake.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=hanns&x=0&y=0

Get a Hanns G, they are priced great and blow almsot any other monitor out of the water. I got the black 223DPB and it is great! No dead pixels and absolutely superb picture quality! I use it for my xbox 360, grapic/web design, and over the air HD television with a connected ATSC reciever. Mine has DVI and VGA connections. Did I also mention it has built in speakers that don't sound half bad?

There's also another model with a HDMI port and VGA port.

Now that is a truly excellent piece of hardware and one that even I would say I approve of wholeheartedly. It will work with the PS3, though I believe you'd need to use an HDMI cable and then an HDMI to DVI adapter because the monitor doesn't have component inputs. I forget if the PS3 has a VGA out, but you could also use that.

But yeah, that's the correct choice.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Dell one.

Can anyone link me up to the cables I need on monoprice. I know its HDMI/DVI something.

One more question...what wires would I need for speakers?

thanks again guys

That cable should work. I actually didn't realize there was a simple HDMI to DVI cable now... thought we still needed adapters. Oh, I must be getting old (and I'm not old.)

As for speakers... what kind of speakers are you using, and if they're computer speakers, how are they plugged into your computer? Like, what kind of cable?

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I think this might be the cable you are looking for.

I'm not even sure about the speakers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, buddy.

To Chac:
I actually plan on getting new speakers too. The ones I'm using right now are plugged via the pink and green things that go into the back of the computer.
Not sure what they are called.

[quote name='bobo2k4']I've always gamed on a small hd tv but now now looking into something a bit bigger for the ps3.

Not trying to spend over $200 and looking for at least 20" widescreen.

Also what kinda cables would I need?[/quote]
i dont know about PS3 but Ihad to get a VGA cords for my 360 to game on my computer monitor. I just bought a ACER 20inch Widescreen monitor that has a HDMI port so that would work but looking at atlest $300+ for that. When I was hurting for cash I bought a 24inch Dell monitor from a school auction for $10 and hooked that up to my 360. If you have the room and dont care about widescreen that is a cheap way to get your HD gaming on.

that's what I thought. Those are 3.5mm miniplugs, which are basically the same as what headphones have. Then you can use the same solution I did.

I used a 1/8" stereo coupler: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=1/8+coupler&kw=1/8+coupler&parentPage=search

and a Y-adapter:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103710

Basically, you plug the white and red plugs from the PS3 into the Y-Adapter, then put the little 3.5mm dong of the Y-adapter into one end of the coupler. Then you take the green plug from your speakers and put it in the other end of the coupler. Voila.

I think there was an acer brand for 22" for $179 @ bestbuy last month...

Also Circuit City had the Proview for $199 yesterday for 22"

If i were you, just wait a little longer. Monitors will be dropping in price soon.

bread's done
Back