Need help with a Paypal purchase ASAP.

breakingcustoms

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Well, here's my story. Please assist me with any help you have.

I recently ordered something from a website and paid via Paypal. They gave me a delivery confirmation number and all of that. Today I checked the status and it said that it was delivered yesterday. Sadly, I never did receive the package. I'm assuming it was stolen, because it could not be lost.

I attempted to contact the website's customer service rep and he refused to give me a replacement or a refund. He stated that once the DC states "delivered", it is no longer under their postal insurance.

I'm attempting to contact Paypal on what I should do, but I haven't heard anything yet. Since they provided tracking and the fact it was "delivered", am I out the $51 I spent?

I told the website that I was going to file a chargeback or contact Paypal, but they said that all they had to do was present the DC and I have nothing to prove I didn't get it.

If this is in the wrong thread, could a mod move this? I just realized that this wasn't the one I thought I was in!

PayPal will not side with you. Check with your neighbors?

If you file a chargeback PayPal will close your account and send a debt collector after you, even though it's for $51. My friend did the same thing with purchase ~$30 and two months later he started getting harassing phone calls.

[quote name='davyd']PayPal will not side with you. Check with your neighbors?

If you file a chargeback PayPal will close your account and send a debt collector after you, even though it's for $51. My friend did the same thing with purchase ~$30 and two months later he started getting harassing phone calls.[/quote]

I've checked with neighbors, landlord, postal office...no one has seen it. I assume it was a postal employee or someone who is never in this building. I get packages all the time and I've never had an issue.

So, I'm basically screwed?

Yeah, you're shit out of luck, order through Amazon if you can from now on because their customer service is phenomenal.

Yeah, unfortunately, you are screwed. For the future, I would probably arrange something with your postal carrier, so that they don't leave packages anymore, just in case the thief is in the neighborhood.

Did you ask your mail carrier? He would have had to scan the package in order for it to show delivered. He probably remembers where he put it.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Yeah, you're shit out of luck, order through Amazon if you can from now on because their customer service is phenomenal.[/quote]

Yeah, I actually had an issue like this at school last year when a buddy of my friend took a package without me knowing about it. Amazon replaced it without question.

Call the Post Office, (1800 ask usps - i think) and ask to speak to an operator. Provide them with the DC and asked to be transferred to your local postmaster. The few times I've had "delivered" packages, this happened and the postmaster or one of the top guys at the local office called me within 2-3 days. That, started a process where they basically contacted the letter carrier to see if they remembered where they dropped the package off.

But be sure to do this ASAP, so the process can get started sooner and the letter carrier has less of a chance to forget.

[quote name='Capn Stabby']Call the Post Office, (1800 ask usps - i think) and ask to speak to an operator. Provide them with the DC and asked to be transferred to your local postmaster. The few times I've had "delivered" packages, this happened and the postmaster or one of the top guys at the local office called me within 2-3 days. That, started a process where they basically contacted the letter carrier to see if they remembered where they dropped the package off.

But be sure to do this ASAP, so the process can get started sooner and the letter carrier has less of a chance to forget.[/quote]

well, i live in an apartment and all packages are left in the same place...on a table in the lobby. basically, it feels like its fair game to anyone there. i've had 15+ packages arrive no problem, but for some reason, i'm just missing this one...

I don't know, I'd try and file with paypal for sure. For any item worth more than $250 or so they require a Delivery Confirmation method WITH SIGNATURE to protect the seller.

Check with paypal!!!!

Did you contact the post office about this yet OP? I seem to recall a CAG that had a problem like this and the package he was missing was scaned as delivered but it was at the post office instead of being left at his place.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']well, i live in an apartment and all packages are left in the same place...on a table in the lobby. basically, it feels like its fair game to anyone there. i've had 15+ packages arrive no problem, but for some reason, i'm just missing this one...[/quote]

That's ridiculous, you need to complain to the landlord about that.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Did you contact the post office about this yet OP? I seem to recall a CAG that had a problem like this and the package he was missing was scaned as delivered but it was at the post office instead of being left at his place.[/quote]

thanks for all on the insights, i called the post office and they are looking into it. they are also getting into contact with the postal official who delivered it...i should know something by today or tomorrow

I'd still do a credit card chargeback if the USPS can't help you out.

If your CC grants it, PayPal will take/try to take the money back from the seller and send debt collectors after them, not you. At least that's my understanding.

Not for nothing, but why put the seller on the spot here? It's not their fault in the least bit. I know I would be pretty annoyed if I had PayPal or debt collectors coming after me for an issue that I had nothing to do with. They didn't leave the package, nor did they steal it, and there was something done on their end that created the situation.

I would make sure that packages aren't left in the open like that, it's crazy. When I'm not home we have boxes and keys next to our mailboxes for small packages (they put the key in your mailbox). Bigger or non-usps stuff is left inside the apartment office with the landlord (the maintenance guy puts anything that isn't picked up during the day inside my apartment when they are closing the office for the day).

I would talk to your landlord and tell them what happened and ask if they can set up some kind of safer alternative for the future.

bread's done
Back