Need Help with an HTPC build

ricky715

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to build a computer that will work with Vista Media Center and have a dual tuner (watch one channel and record another). I have chosen a mini-itx board because of its price-performance ratio and to save some money since it includes the cpu and video. The only downside to doing that is I can't find a good and cheap PCI dual tuner card. I've found some PCIe x1 cards that will do that, but I can't use those since the mobo doesnt have that plug.

Here's my current build
Intel BOXD945GCLF2 $80
Kingston 2GB DDR800 $20
Cheap 250W power supply $15
WD 320 SATA 7200rpm HD $55
LG DVD Burner $22
Cheap Case $42
Shipping (So Far) $20
Total (So Far) $254

I have a budget of about $300-325 total including shipping. I prefer newegg so if you can find something there I would love you forever.

I found this really cheap tuner card, and it seems to have a dual tuner on it (once again, watch one show while recording another) and it works with vista(read comments). Can anyone back me up on that before I go ahead and order it? They are cheap enough so that I might want 2x of them so I can have four tuners, or two tuners if they turn out to be single tuner cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260020

I wouldn't trust that card in Vista, the company dropped support before the Vista drivers were released. Also you should know that Vista doesn't natively support 4 tuners or even QAM tuners so you should make sure you are comfortable with the modifications required to make these items work. I don't think you're going to be happy with the picture produced by one of the low end cards anyway unless you are still using a 19" tube TV.

bread's done
Back