Need help with building high-end computer

laserazer

CAGiversary!
I recently just purchased the bfg 8800 GTX OC and was wondering if it will fit inside the antec 900 gaming case? Also I need help with any recommendations for motherboards (SLI ready, core 2 for around $200), cpu,ram, psu, hard drives (maybe for raid)? I want to build this computer so that it would last me 4-5 years. Thanks for the input.​

I usually don't support getting a high end GPU for future proofing. Usually it's better to buy mid-range (like, one now and another one two years from now).

I think the 900 will be able to handle it. I'm not sure... the card's 11 inches long I think?:whistle2:k

I just want to able to play games with crazy framerates with high settings for todays games. On top of that, I would like to be ready for future games. I guess I could get an SLI ready motherboard and add another 8800 later?

Yeah, that's true. At the moment, SLI isn't really that great but hopefully more games will support dual GPUs in the next few years.

I have no idea what a good mobo would be, though I keep hearing about the P5B Deluxe (I'm pretty sure that has SLI). For the PS, go with OCZ Gamextream 700W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

For the processor, you need one hell of a processor (I'm talking X6800 which is $1000). Otherwise, you'll bottleneck your GPU- which is another reason I don't recommend getting the best GPU. You might have to put up with it and just upgrade the processor later as well.

For memory, outpost.com had some OCZ DDR2 1066 memory for like $220. It'll be great for when you want to overclock your processor.

For harddrives, I'd get some Seagate 7200.10s. I really don't think Raptors are worth it.

P5b deluxe isn't sli.

Oh, and If I were you, might be best to wait for R600. Or the 8900 series.

You can return the 8800 you know.

The prices of the 8800 series is dropping fast because these will be out in a couple months.

Oh, and if you get sli on this, getting the gamexstream would be bad. It has problems with anything above 400w. Look up a review on it.

The thing is though, hardly anyone, except though who run 8800's sli, actually use 400w...

Taken from a google search...

"I have an Antec 900 and it does not properly fit a 8800GTX. I have to pull the HD rack out 2cm. I have 6 HD's and find the interior way too cramped."

For the power supply--get a Corsair 620HX.

bread's done
Back