Need home theater system good 5.1 surround and dvd player w/ component hookups

GrimNecroWizard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just got a new 1080p tv and need a dvd player with component hookups that comes with it so we can get a better picture and also a nice surround sound system 5.1 with around 1000watts or something. I don't know much about surround sound and all that so any help is appreciated. Looking for something around < $250. Thanks for any help

I got a refurb onkyo from shoponkyo.com for 149 (you get 10 bucks off your first purchase and the prices drop after you make an account) and it has three component hookups. It is not in stock right now though, but does come in stock periodically. Some of the higher end systems are in stock though.

comes with a 1 year warranty.

Dont buy anything audio made by Sony that isn't part of their ES line, which starts at about $1 grand and goes up from there.

Buy an Onkyo if you have to get a Home Theatre In A Box solution, or barring that, a Yamaha system. Even the Panasonics rate higher than the average Sony system.

PS: no "home theatre in a box" is future proof.

Try not to get anything with a built in dvd player. As others suggest, I would go with Onkyo or Yamaha. Don't be fooled by the wattage rating on a lot of the advertisements as it's not an accurate in describing the actual power/quality of the system. Do some research.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']So does anyone know a good onkyo that comes with the speakers? The speakers are a must, the DVD player doesn't really matter anymore.[/QUOTE]

they have HTiB on their website.

I got the HTIB that pimpinc has in his post from their site for 149.

Their site also does not charge tax (didn't for me, but I guess it depends on location) and shipping is free.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']they have HTiB on their website.

I got the HTIB that pimpinc has in his post from their site for 149.

Their site also does not charge tax (didn't for me, but I guess it depends on location) and shipping is free.[/quote]

I heard that I need a receiver with an HDMI port so I can get the best sound and I don't think that one has it...Are there any other receivers with speakers that have an HDMI port and everything to go high def and whatnot?

You wont be able to find an HDMI switching receiver, and if you do it wont be HDMI 1.3, which is brand new and just starting to ship.

If you want to get your audio via HDMI, you'll need to spend at least $500+ on just receiver alone, and it still wont be HDMI 1.3...

I found that Video Only has some great deals in their stores and they will beat any price in the big retail chains. If you have one in your area, it might be worth it to check them out to see if they have any sound systems you might like.

I got an awesome deal on a great yamaha system at sears. they has some clearenced as they were last year's models. I don't know if you can still find these around, but last year's model is this year's Cheap Ass deal.

It has HDMI, but it doesnt support hdmi 1.3 so its really pointless, except for hdmi switching. I dont think you will be able to find anything affordable with hdmi 1.3 for a while. You probably want a receiver with analog inputs to use for encrypted audio from HDDVD, BLURAY or DVDA.

Also if you want better picture you probably need to use HDMI and since you have a 1080p tv you may want to look into a 1080p upscaling dvd player like this or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Oppo-DV-981HD...r_1/104-7181514-8147160?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Thanks. So any final thoughs on what to get that comes with speakers? I'll pass on the DVD player because next year or so I'll be getting a 360 with the HDDVD player

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...48967/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have that at home, I love it. Cost effective solution, comes with nice speakers (the fronts and center are nice, the rears and sides COULD use an upgrade though) and a nice midrange receiver that will let me upgrade to badass speakers when I feel like it.

As mofo1115 said above, the wattage rating is NOT a good indicator of quality. The 'good' brands (for midrange products.. onkyo, denon, harmon kardon) rate their products differently.

A $200 box system is typically rated at 1000 watts rates driving ONLY ONE small speaker, in some cases running just two channels.. not ALL availible channels. The Onkyo setup I linked rates running ALL channels at the same time.. Also, the better brands rate using 6 or 8 ohm speakers, while the crappy ones use smaller ones. - basically, you might not have enough power with a cheap receiver to drive those 4 foot tower speakers you want to get a few years from now.

If you were looking at spending about $500, I would go with what I linked.. I'ts THE BEST for the money. If you were looking at $1000 or more, I would get a $300-$500 Onkyo or Denon Receiver, infinity front, center, and rear channel speakers, and an infinity or Velodyne powered subwoofer.

If you know someone who works retail, and can order you a set of speakers via the retailer's employee purchase website, you should be able to save like 50%-60% on the speakers -- assuming retailers still DO that.. it's been like four or five years since I worked retail.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I got a refurb onkyo from shoponkyo.com for 149 (you get 10 bucks off your first purchase and the prices drop after you make an account) and it has three component hookups. It is not in stock right now though, but does come in stock periodically. Some of the higher end systems are in stock though.

comes with a 1 year warranty.[/quote]

Seconded, I bought one for $149 also and am more than happy with it.

bread's done
Back