Need new sound card -- thoughts?

jello00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everybody! I'm looking for a cheap (but not crap) sound card for my desktop. I got my motherboard RMA'd from ASUS and for some reason I can't get the on-board sound working. I've tried everything -- updated all the audio drivers, chipset drivers, bios, tried different speakers, tried it with and without the front panel audio jumpers, etc. I've spent 2 days now searching forums online trying to fix this and I think it's just a lost cause.

Since I just went through the process of returning the mobo and getting a new one, I really don't want to go through it all again.

With that in mind, I'm looking to get a sound card. I'm going to search through Newegg to see if anything is on sale, but I thought I would at least ask to see if any CAGs knew of any deals.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939
ATI FireGL V5000 video
2x CRUCIAL 1GB (1024MB) PC3200 400MHZ CL3 184-PIN DDR DIMM

oh yeah. and right now I only have 2 desktop speakers. At some point I might upgrade to a 5.1 setup, so that's probably what I'm looking for. I definitely don't need a 7.1.

and I most likely will want a PCI card. I feel like last thing I need is more USB wires. A quick search on newegg shows a bunch under $30. If anyone has any personal experience with any of them, let me know.

bread's done
Back