Need Old PS1+2 RPG Recommendations

Dragonchi

CAG Veteran
Ever since ive had my PS3 ive been waiting with my thumb up my ass waiting for sony to deliver some RPG's, (which is what i bought it for) but to no avail as of yet. so ive been looking around for REALLY good old PS RPG's and i have bought 4 so far that my roommate suggested. those being BOF3 and 4, Legend of Mana and Xenogears. I would very much like to increase my RPG library with only the best RPG's and I wouldnt mind some Suggestions. keeping in mind that i Prefer the RPG Styles that Breath of Fire and the Mana Series take on. So yea, any suggestions at all would be great, im all ears.

PS1:
Final Fantasy 7 + 9 + Tactics
Lunar: SSSC
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Tactics Ogre (this is a SRPG)
Alundra (action RPG)
Parasite Eve 1 + 2
Suikoden I + 2

PS2:
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Persona 3 FES
Suikoden III + V

Those are my favorites. Add Skies of Arcadia Legends also. You didn't say dreamcast or gamecube, but I feel the urge to tell you anyways.

Take into consideration I value stories the most. If the story is less then stellar the gameplay better be amazing for me to even consider playing it.

Vagrant Story-Awesome art, story, gameplay, and graphics. You are basically underground chasing a religious zealot. The combat system is original in that you forge new hilts, blades, handles, whatever to maximize elemental and physical damage, and can hit different body parts on enemies depending on your proximity to them.
Brave Fencer Musashi(PS1) Crazy japanese goodness. You can absorb enemies powers(ie absorb springy guys power to bounce over blocked path. You find and save hidden villagers that unlock more stores and opportunities.
Suikoden1+2 Love these two! with 108 characters, upgradeable lair, cathartic upscale war battles, compelling story, there is a lot of game here for the premium you have to pay.
Star Ocean 2(ps1)Great realtime combat inside of encounters, branching storyline, cool art, this is a game that makes me feel like I'm watching a good anime while I play(if that made any sense)

People may think is just another FFVII rip off...but damn is it good "Legend of Dragoon" PS1. If you find it, get it.

Fortunately for you my friend I have compiled one hell of a list:

Playstation 1:

Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy VII *My favorite*
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Brigandine
Xenogears
Vanguard Bandits
Grandia
Persona
Persona II
Koudelka
Dragon Seeds
Legend of Legaia
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Tactics Ogre
Ogre Battle
Valkarie Profile
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Shadow Tower
Dark Stone
Warriors of Might & Magic
Monsterseed
Granstream Saga
Legend of Mana
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II
Hoshigami
Legend of Dragoon
Beyond the Beyond
Chrono Cross
Star Ocean
Jade Cocoon
Shadown Madness
Dragon Warrior VII
Brave Fencer Musashi
Vagrants Story
Rhapsody Musical
Saiyuki Journey West
Thousand Arms
Kartia
Wild Arms
Wild Arms II
Dragon Valor
Alundra
Alundra II
Guardian's Crusade
Eternal Eyes
Azure Dreams
threads of fate
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Arc the lad

whew...I'm tired.

[quote name='Pocketgamer']Fortunately for you my friend I have compiled one hell of a list:

Playstation 1:

Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy VII *My favorite*
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Brigandine
Xenogears
Vanguard Bandits
Grandia
Persona
Persona II
Koudelka
Dragon Seeds
Legend of Legaia
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Tactics Ogre
Ogre Battle
Valkarie Profile
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Shadow Tower
Dark Stone
Warriors of Might & Magic
Monsterseed
Granstream Saga
Legend of Mana
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts II
Hoshigami
Legend of Dragoon
Beyond the Beyond
Chrono Cross
Star Ocean
Jade Cocoon
Shadown Madness
Dragon Warrior VII
Brave Fencer Musashi
Vagrants Story
Rhapsody Musical
Saiyuki Journey West
Thousand Arms
Kartia
Wild Arms
Wild Arms II
Dragon Valor
Alundra
Alundra II
Guardian's Crusade
Eternal Eyes
Azure Dreams
threads of fate
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Arc the lad

whew...I'm tired.[/QUOTE]

Is it honestly a recommendations list at this point?

here are 5 that I enjoyed during that time period

* we all know about FF7 and the ilk.. but try out "The Granstream Saga" it was engaging had excellent "anime" cutscenes and is fairly cheap.. it also has multiple endings.

* FF8 is the "cheap" FF of the PS1 era and i think it was a pretty good game.. it felt more "grown up" then other installments.. and the graphics were decent

* Parasite Eve.. seriously this one is like a "survival horror" RPG.. it was pretty good I liked "upgrading" my guns and armor.

* Xenogears.. really great game.. it is long and the mechanics are pretty good.. i just think the story takes a while to pick up but once it does its great.

* the last one on my list.. hmm.. i loved Suikoden.. i know i just recentlly played it.. but its a very good RPG.. although i hate the "strategy" game moments in the game.. however.. but up until then its a great game.

tales of phantasia. someone had fansubbed the japanese original. good luck finding the iso online but its a great game. tales of eternia as well.

Skip wild arms for ps1

And go straight to
Wild arms: Alter Code F for PS2. Its a remake of the original from PS1 and its awesome.

bread's done
Back