Need opinions on possible craiglist TV deal.

TurkeyOnRye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
I currently have a 52" RCA Rear-CRT HDTV that does 1080i and 480p:

http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FILE20073.PDF

I bought it 4 or 5 years ago on sale from Best Buy and have been happy with it for the most part. However, now that I have a blu-ray player, digital HD cable, and my 360 hooked up through an HDMI adapter to the DVI, I'm starting to see the age of the TV and I'm more than ready to upgrade. However, I have a wife and an 8 month old and I know that my dream LED is still a year or two off in the future and have come to terms with the idea of a plasma that does 720p in the meantime. I've heard that 720p is leaps and bounds better than 1080i and only true videophiles will notice a difference between it and 1080p. Plus the size difference would clear out a ton of floor space.

I found this TV for $300 on craigslist:

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/LG_Electronics-42PC3DV.htm

The idea of an EDTV kinda worries me. I know some, but not enough to know if this is a deal I should take. I know someone who'll buy my TV for $100 which my make my investment inthis $200 (or less if we can haggle). Help me out here CAG's. Should I do this or wait and keep saving for a different TV?

I believe the EDTV would not provide as nice of a picture; the resolution is lower than your current TV. My first HDTV was a Toshiba 57" that did 1080i and shortly after we got a 720p set for the bedroom, I didn't find that big of a difference in picture quality, but the 720p set was much smaller. When you do replace your 52" set with something newer, the new TV will look much better due to improved brightness, contrast, and refresh rate.

I'm not so sure about buying a T.V. on craigslist (let alone a plasma); I do buy video game related things, but a T.V. is a way bigger purchase. Sure you can look it over and demo some video, but who knows if it's going to keep working when you get home, and what kind of use (and abuse) it has seen.

That said, I dunno about that T.V. I've never seen one in person, and it looks/sounds older than something than 2007. craigslist is hit or miss, but I think you could do better than that thing.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']I believe the EDTV would not provide as nice of a picture; the resolution is lower than your current TV. [/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. I noticed it had a lower resolution than my current TV, I didn't know if it being 720p would still make it look better than my current set. I might send him an e-mail stating what I found out about it being an EDTV and that it's not what I'm looking for, especially at that price. If he comes way down I might pick it up for the bedroom... I just don't have a good feeling about it for that much money. For a hundred or two more I can pick up a higher resolution, NEW plasma.

Pass. Terrible Deal

You can buy a new 720p Plasma off Amazon for around 500. Samsung, Panasonic, and LG sell some nice sets.

bread's done
Back