Need PC help

SeanAmI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Every time I start my computer, the power LED just continuously flashing. I removed the video card and the PC will boot. Is this a power supply problem ( computer was fine handling the load before) or a video card problem?

Did you just install a new video card? Can you post what video card you have and the PSU specs please?

It definitely sounds like the video card might be too much for your power supply.

I cant remember if the 8xxx series requires a suplimental power connection or not. If it does have you tried using a different cable to power it?

Do you have another video card you can put in and see how the system does? Or have another pc you can try your video card in?

Have another powersupply you can lay next to the pc and plug everything in with and see if it works then?

From what you saying its hard to tell without some more process of elimination because it could be either one. If I had to chose I would lean more towards the video card though.

If you dont have another pc to test your parts in I would say just start with buying a new video card from someplace local you can return it to easily no questions asked if it doesnt work. Its a pain to have a extra trip if it doesnt work but atleast youll know. Since your running a 8xxx card still Im going to assume money is a little bit of a issue but for 100 to 150 you could get a nvidia 450 to 460 series that would be leaps and bounds beyond what you have now.

Plugged in my broken 460 that my friend broke when he knocked my computer over ( draws power , ie. Fan spins, but shows no video). The computer booted fine. Seems as soon as I plug in my 8800 it shuts down the computer. Seems like a short or something?

[quote name='SeanAmI']Plugged in my broken 460 that my friend broke when he knocked my computer over ( draws power , ie. Fan spins, but shows no video). The computer booted fine. Seems as soon as I plug in my 8800 it shuts down the computer. Seems like a short or something?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the 8800 is bad. The final test would be to put the 8800 into a different KNOWN WORKING PC to see if it exhibits the same symptons.

[quote name='SeanAmI']Anyone know a deal on a good replacement?[/QUOTE]

Whats your max budget you can spend on a card?

[quote name='SeanAmI']Around $150[/QUOTE]

Here are 2 choices for you if you want to stay nvidia. Either one will be a major improvement over what you have. The one is little over your budget but the rebates evga gives will put you under your total if you dont mind mail ins.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130570

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

Evga makes really quality great cards. All ones I had I never had a problem with and one time I called their customer service a actual english speaking person that knew what they were talking about answered.

[quote name='SeanAmI']It doesn't have to be Nvidia if there is a better Radeon[/QUOTE]

If you go with radeon then visiontek is the company I cant reccomend them enough.

When I buy a new video card Im not a fanboy, Ive owned nvidia and ati stuff just when I get a new card I go with who is the best at the same. Im running a radeon now and have for awhile been using the same card.

Bottom line is whatever you get is going to be better than what you had before, use less power and output less heat. So radeon or nvidia, either way youll have a better card.

I suggested those nvidia cards purely because its what you have already which will make upgrading easier since you wont have to scour your pc ridding it up nvidia registry entrys and drivers to ensure you dont have a problem when using a ati based card. Its not real common but unless you get rid of them all it can cause minor gaming problems if you have leftover drivers when switching brands.

I would certainly recommend ATI right now as well, since their hardware has been solid for a couple years now. nVidia was king for a while there, but I've had to replace every card they put out after a year or two for the last two generations. They sacrificed quality for bleeding edge tech and now that ATI has caught up, they're simply the better choice. Had this 5870 for a year and a half now with no issues.

if you can still find a 5870 in stock that is probably the most powerful card you can get around 150. a 6870 is around that in price too but you have to deal with rebates. a 460 can be had for 120 or less after rebates. a 6850 is a good deal at 120 or less but a little overpriced at 150.

You can check TigerDirect or ZipZoomFly, but 99% of the time they're more expensive than Newegg. Ya' never know though, you may find a deal.

[quote name='runsongas']http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997-7.html

the gts 450 is just 1 tier up from the 8800 gts, picking up a 6850/6870/460 1gb for 120 to 140 is more of a cost effective upgrade[/QUOTE]

Eh you got me. Damn new numbering system is confusing sometimes since now the cards models go up but their performance is either less or the same as previous models. Hard to keep track since past few years I dont buy as much as I used to, was a time hardware had to keep up with gaming but anymore gaming is stagnant but the hardware keeps outstripping it.

But that card I linked for 99 bucks is fine if he just wants a cheap as possible replacement. But in the end its much more worth it to pick up one of the other ones for another 50-60 bucks for a better improvement.

bread's done
Back