Need recommendations on a wireless router for the Wii

RCS0926

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for a good, cheap wireless router to use for my Wii and DS (and PS3 in the future). I've been doing my research, and I know that the Linksys WRT54G series is a good option. The WRT54G2, which is the newest version of the WRT54G series, retails for only about $45 right now. It looks like a good option, but my main concern is the range on this router. I haven't really been able to find anything that talks about the range of the WRT54G series.

FYI, I live in a 2100 sq ft, single story house. The wireless signal would basically have to reach all the way to the other side of the house since my Wii and computer are located on opposite ends of the house. I do know that 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT can be used to boost the signal up to 10x the original strength on the WRT54G2, but would that be enough to reach the other end of the house?

I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone using a WRT54G router or some other equivalent router. Based on my calculations, the signal needs to travel anywhere from 65-75 feet from my computer to the Wii. Can the WRT54G2 reliably broadcast a wireless signal at this distance? Also, if anyone has any better recommendations for a router in the $50 range, then that would be great as well. Thanks in advance.

I had a WRT54G router. It lost connection to my HTPC on the other corner of the house constantly. The signal only had to pass through one wall and travel approximately 40 feet. I tried a few things, but finally gave up and ran ethernet down through the floor into the room with the router.

The router also had some oddities with the firmware settings. More specifically, there were settings that literally did nothing and settings that would consistently not take. I tried various versions of updated official firmware. I never got around to trying any of the open source versions.

Since then I bought an Apple Airport Extreme. I have yet to find anywhere on my property that I do not get maximum wireless signal. It isn't "cheap", though.

Can anyone else chime in on this topic? I would really like to know if it's even worth it to go online with my Wii considering the distance my wireless signal would have to travel. Thanks.

bread's done
Back