Need some advice (electronics, maybe taxes)

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Since I'm doing fairly well at getting some extra cash just from my opinion, I had thoughts of making it easier on me. I could go with a super cheap laptop, or I could figure out a way to type from the couch while the girls play on the floor in front of me.

I have a wireless kbm, so I could conceiveably just blindly type from there.

If I buy a laptop, I need it to function just as well as my desktop, or to be the most basic thing in existance. How does being able to write stuff off as 'work-related expenses' work?

I guess the other option I have is I could try to pick up a 10' long monitor cable and plug the monitor in on a table near me so I can see it. Ideas?

If you aren't going to use the computer 100% for work, it gets pretty messy trying to deduct it. I think you can still technically deduct part of the cost, but might not be worth the trouble/audit risk. I'd definitely talk to a tax pro before deducting something like that or before you buy if the deduction is crucial.

You can only write it off if it's a required item for your line of work. Unforunately, just because you may use it for work, doesn't mean that it can be a write-off.

OK, valid points. Now let's say I buy something for the express purpose of reviewing it (unless someone can tell me how I can get a press deal where I can get things sent to me for free for a trial period), what would constitute 'for business use only?'

This question isn't about laptops, but in general merchandise.

bread's done
Back