Need some advice on buying a new car

opportunity777

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I am in need of a new car within about 3-4 days because I am giving my car to someone in my family.

The only cars I can afford to pay off without having a payment at all are between $15,800-17,900.

I refuse to buy the Scion xA because it's like a golf cart, and I don't like KIAs, so I have cut it down to two cars.

Either I am going to get a Toyota Matrix XR or the Scion tC. They are roughly the same price. I am wondering what people think about those cars.

I was thinking about getting a manual because it's A. cheaper and B. I like driving them more. The problem is that I haven't driven a manual since like 6 years ago, so I'm kind of afraid of ruining the car. I only drive in traffic twice a week if that's any help.

I am not getting any car that I need to make a payment on, so that is not an option.

Please advise :)

EDIT: These are the ONLY two cars I am considering. I have already looked at Civic, Mazda 3, Nissan Sentra, et al, thanks :)

Between thoise two, I'd go with the tC, no doubt. You get all the options you need & want plus that fucking panaroma moonroof is SWEET! Never buy an automatic, seriously. I don't know if your into mods at all but the market has been more receptive towards the Scion line than the Matrix line, although they are both Toyotas. Good luck, though!

id go for the tc. i think it looks better. also there are plenty of other cars out there around that price like the 2006 civic that should be out already. i think. they keep changing the release day. but yea i heard the handling on the tc isnt the best. but looks cool though.

damn dude you must be fucking loaded If you can buy a car straight up with no, payments!

I just bought a brand new 2005 Ford Focus, It's MSRP is like 18,900, but after their Ford Family plan and matching my down payment It went down to 13,500. But I am a first time buyer and making paymets at a 18% rate in the end I will pay around $21,000. Unless I go get re-financed, which I will but I can't for another year or so.

i im not gonna reccommend anything because IMO its all about the feel of the car. If it doesnt drive the way you like than dont buy it. dont get me wrong tcs civics any car listed above performs well...but if your not comfortable in your car than dont buy it. all those cars are great in that price range...if you want sheer speed that than the Dodge Neon SRT-4. it blows any of those cars outta the water. There is also the 2006 Eclipse. 260hp Mivec v6 is pretty nasty in a 4 banger. if you can talk this down from 19,999 to 17,000 than your good to go. all the cars arent bad. im guessing you test drove them already. which ever has the more better feel to you than get it.

out of those two i'd say tc hands down, but there are definately better options out there. get a manual if you really want one because its not hard to get used to them if you already know how to drive one

[quote name='mr ryles']damn dude you must be fucking loaded If you can buy a car straight up with no, payments!

I just bought a brand new 2005 Ford Focus, It's MSRP is like 18,900, but after their Ford Family plan and matching my down payment It went down to 13,500. But I am a first time buyer and making paymets at a 18% rate in the end I will pay around $21,000. Unless I go get re-financed, which I will but I can't for another year or so.[/QUOTE]

I am loaded enough that I have upto that amount without tax and title to buy straight up. All the cars I mentioned base price with everything is between $18,500-20000, which I intend to pay in cash. I am not willing to spend more than that on the car because I don't want payments :)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']tC all the way.[/QUOTE]

Do you own one of these already? I went and looked at it today and drove the stick and the automatic. I think I will be getting the stick version of the car + the wheel package.

I seriously considered a Scion tC myself before I bought my current car. I had looked long and hard at the tC and liked everything I saw. I would highly recommend it between the two cars you have mentioned there. I ended up buying an Acura 3.2 TL myself, but that's another story. ;)

Alright, well I went to the dealership today. I'm really tempted to get an automatic because I am so sure I'm going to fuck up the tranny or something. I was planning on getting a second car next year, like a used sport truck, so I might be able to get that in stick. I am just not that confident in driving a NEW car well enough at this moment and have to replace the clutch a couple of times. I know it's a lot like riding a bike, but I'm older now and I don't have a whole lot of patience to screw with it. I did drive it around, but it was a really big pain.

Please advise :)

[quote name='opportunity777']Alright, well I went to the dealership today. I'm really tempted to get an automatic because I am so sure I'm going to fuck up the tranny or something. I was planning on getting a second car next year, like a used sport truck, so I might be able to get that in stick. I am just not that confident in driving a NEW car well enough at this moment and have to replace the clutch a couple of times. I know it's a lot like riding a bike, but I'm older now and I don't have a whole lot of patience to screw with it. I did drive it around, but it was a really big pain.

Please advise :)[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it won't take you long enough to relearn how to drive stick to mess up your tranny. I give you a week at most to get the hang of it. As long as you're driving it, you'll pick it up quickly. I assure you, most transmissions can take the brunt of someone learning how to drive stick and then some. Don't let that be a factor in your decision. If you want a stick, get one.

[quote name='opportunity777']Alright, well I went to the dealership today. I'm really tempted to get an automatic because I am so sure I'm going to fuck up the tranny or something. I was planning on getting a second car next year, like a used sport truck, so I might be able to get that in stick. I am just not that confident in driving a NEW car well enough at this moment and have to replace the clutch a couple of times. I know it's a lot like riding a bike, but I'm older now and I don't have a whole lot of patience to screw with it. I did drive it around, but it was a really big pain.

Well it really becomes would you like to pay the extra $1000 or whatever they charge for an automatic and do you care about the slight reduction in mpg. If not then go with the automatic but you aren't going to fuck up the tranny unless you decide to relearn stick on the freeway.

I have a '97 Civic, and it runs great. I spent the money I saved on the system. I'd usually say buy American... but not when it comes to cars...

Don't buy a new car, buy a car 2-3 years old it is much cheaper yet its trade in value won't depreciate very quickly.

Unless you are just the worst stick-shift driver in the world I wouldn't worry about that. The clutch is an amazing invention! For many years I had a Chevy Nova 5 speed, after 180,000 miles on 2nd gear would no longer work, but one doesn't need 2nd gear. Stick shift=better mpg/ PLUS you can 'lay rubber' 'burn out' or whatever the way to say it is now.

Tc for sure. And go with the manual. Cheaper to buy, better gas mileage, and more fun to drive. I think you are too worried about hurting the tranny. I beat the shit out my tranny and now I have 125,00 miles on the car. Of course, I replaced the clutch at 90,000 miles and I drive a mitsu but you get the point.

Alright thanks for all the tips. My 2006 black Scion tC won't be ready for 1-3 weeks! There's supposedly a huge wait list for the car. I got basically base everything, but they said I can add stuff to it when the car actually arrives. I really don't care about being flashy, I want to increase performance. Until then I was wondering if anyone knows of any neat things that are coming out for it that I might not be aware of. I have never had a car modified before, but I was thinking of doing some stuff with this car for fun.

for 18,000 I would have gotten an integra type R or a Integra GSR with low miles for about 8,000 do a JDM front end conversion and a ton of engine mods :) Hope you like the TC you did get the best color. And for moding that car I dunno i haven't seen a real big crowd for it since everyone is about drifting nowadays and RWD rule the day so far

Check out scionlife.com, lot's of info on whatever you want to do. There are also several scion sites around, but I don't have a tC so I have never looked for much tC info. I have the xB and love it. With a Scion, be prepared for a lot of "who makes it?"

You should give used cars a chance. I've only bought used cars and it's been working out great for me. The moment you drive a new car off the lot it depreciates so much, and with most dealers now offering good warranty on used cars they sell, buying used can really give you more bang for the buck.

As for manual, avoid if you drive in an area with a lot of stop-n-go traffic.

[quote name='Odenat']for 18,000 I would have gotten an integra type R or a Integra GSR with low miles for about 8,000 do a JDM front end conversion and a ton of engine mods :) Hope you like the TC you did get the best color. And for moding that car I dunno i haven't seen a real big crowd for it since everyone is about drifting nowadays and RWD rule the day so far[/QUOTE]

feels good that someone here appreciates the Teggies. The TC crowd has a huge following. The aftermarket world is all over this car because it was marketed as a car for modding. Its very simple to work with as in parts and should have no problem in finding anything for modifications for it. I just think of it as Toyota's new Civic.

bread's done
Back