Need some advice on house training my puppy

onetrackmind

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
I found this puppy abandoned in a park two weeks ago and since then i've been trying to get him potty trained. I think he understands the concept of going outside to use the bathroom but for some reason he still does it in my apartment. At night he goes in his crate and nev er makes a mess in there and hes in his crate all day while im at work and never makes a mess. When i get home i take him out so he can go and then i take him out every hour so that he can get in the habit of going outside.

This is where it gets strange, it doesn't matter how often he goes outside he still finds a way to go in the apartment. I've tried knocking him on his nose when i catch him going on the carpet but that doesn't do anything other than him running away from me and being scared of me. I dont want to use his crate as a punishment so i dont put him in there is he "messes up" I just dont get it, and i dont understand how to fix the problem.

Like this morning i took him out as soon as woke up this morning, he takes a piss and drops a duece so i take him inside and i get in the shower. By the time i get out of the shower (10-15 minutes) hes dropped a duece on the floor. I tell him hes bad and clean it up and take him back outside... i wait for 10 minutes and he doesnt go anymore so i bring him back in. I then give him some food and the other dog some food then i took them both for a 30 minute walk. I get back in my apartment and take off his leash so he can get a drink and while im taking my other dogs leash off he's pissing on the floor. I mean he just got inside so wtf is going on.

If anyone can give me some advice on what to do i'd really appreciate it. thanks guys.

hitting a dog doesnt solve your problems. put a bunch of pennies in a can and whenever the puppy does something bad, shake the can. it will make him scared of the can, not you.

Are you actually bringing his crap outside with you? Putting it on the grass or whatever and shwoing it to him outside?

What about praising him when he goes outside?

It sounds like you have a generally clean animal as he doesnt like to go in his cage which is a good sign..

/\ Good lord Nickmad... that signature just appeared there after i put this up. I thought I somehow posted in the wrong thread...

[quote name='Snake2715']Are you actually bringing his crap outside with you? Putting it on the grass or whatever and shwoing it to him outside?

What about praising him when he goes outside?

It sounds like you have a generally clean animal as he doesnt like to go in his cage which is a good sign..

/\ Good lord Nickmad... that signature just appeared there after i put this up. I thought I somehow posted in the wrong thread...[/QUOTE]

no i havent been bringing his shit outside with me, i just clean it up and throw it in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash can outside. I praise him everytime he goes to the bathroom outside and usually give him a piece of a treat for doing somethign good. Its never an issue of him going to the bathroom outside, he does a very good job at that, that thing i cant understand is why he'll still make a mess inside when he just went out 20 minutes ago.

I'll try the pennies in the can, hopefully that will work cause i hate slapping him on his nose.

Take a spray bottle filled with water and watch your dog. If you can catch him taking a dump in a place you don't want, squirt him in the face. It'll take a while but after about a month, he learns to associate taking a dump in a 'bad' place equals an annoying squirt in the face. And give him a treat and a hug whenever he dumps in a good place as he associates dumping in a 'good' place as a reward. Benefit? Happy puppy minus physically hitting. It actually took me 3 months with my pomeranian Slash the Destroyer but it was worth it.

Onetrack try taking his crap outside with you and him when he goes. put it on the ground and show it to him. That way he knows that you dont go here... you go here (outside).

You need to do some homework about puppies and their care and training. Don't wing it and don't hit or scare your puppy. A google search on puppy training will give you good tips from professionals. Here are two sites to get you started: http://www.leerburg.com/housebrk and http://www.perfectpaws.com/htrp.html They recommend different techniques- I haven't a clue if either is good but look around until you find one that fits your lifestyle. Good luck!

From my understanding, it might not be a matter of housetraining, it could be that he/she might not be old enough to control their bladder. How old is the puppy, do you think?

I swear when I saw this thread, I thought it was something to do with Nintendogs ;)
I just wanted to praise your kindness for bringing in a stray like that. I always think its sad that folks will go to a pet store and buy animals when there are strays and ones in animal shelters. I wish you all the luck with your new puppy, Onetrackmind.

what worked for me was limiting the area my puppy was allowed to go at all times, we kept her gated in the kitchen, and cover the floor with paper, we slowly removed some paper a week at a time, Now we keep a pad in a frame in the corner of the kitchen as a saftey but she hardly uses that at all anymore. hope that helps

[quote name='CheapyMom']You need to do some homework about puppies and their care and training. Don't wing it and don't hit or scare your puppy. A google search on puppy training will give you good tips from professionals. Here are two sites to get you started: http://www.leerburg.com/housebrk and http://www.perfectpaws.com/htrp.html They recommend different techniques- I haven't a clue if either is good but look around until you find one that fits your lifestyle. Good luck![/QUOTE]

thank you very much for the links, i found a lot of great info on the first link.

[quote name='mykevermin']From my understanding, it might not be a matter of housetraining, it could be that he/she might not be old enough to control their bladder. How old is the puppy, do you think?[/quote]

I honestly dont know, it could be 12 weeks old maybe. The vet said when he gets his adult teeth comming in he'll be 4 months old so i'll have to wait and see. Infact i dont know exactly what kind of breed he is either yet until he gets older. After reading the pages cheapysmom gave me this could be the problem. ALthough he does hold it for 7 to 8 hours at night when im sleeping and up to 9 to 10 hours during the day when im at work and never makes a mess in his crate. It seems like im gonna have to put him in his crate more often from what the website said, i'm just giving him too much freedom and its actually my fault when he makes a mess. It also says that alot of what i've been doing is the bad stuff so hopefully with doing things the right way i can get the pup to understand better.

[quote name='jousley'] I swear when I saw this thread, I thought it was something to do with Nintendogs
I just wanted to praise your kindness for bringing in a stray like that. I always think its sad that folks will go to a pet store and buy animals when there are strays and ones in animal shelters. I wish you all the luck with your new puppy, Onetrackmind. [/quote]

thanks man, im a big softy when it comes to animals. He probably would have died if i hadn't of taken him and his sister (gave the sister to my cousin) both were extrememly dehydrated and my pup has a bad case of roundworms which i have him on treatment for right now. He's a relaly good dog other than the potty trainign thing which i guess im just expecting too much too quickly. My other dog who is two and a half was a piece of cake to potty train when i got her from the humance society so thats probably why im so clueless with this little one.

[quote name='Wombat5277'] what worked for me was limiting the area my puppy was allowed to go at all times, we kept her gated in the kitchen, and cover the floor with paper, we slowly removed some paper a week at a time, Now we keep a pad in a frame in the corner of the kitchen as a saftey but she hardly uses that at all anymore. hope that helps[/quote]

I tried this approach and he just shreds the paper.

[quote name='Snake2715'] This thread is worthless without pics!!! :') [/quote]
i'll take some pictures tonight of him so you all can see. :)

the problem with hittin is it can work but can only work if u its done while the animal is going to the bathroom. After they are done goin the animal already forgets and the hitting is not associated with the original action but with something else, that is why most people should not hit.

also I'm not sure u mentioned this but u should get your animal spade or neutered, it will cut down on the animal wanting to mark his territory, at least in my experience.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I honestly dont know, it could be 12 weeks old maybe. The vet said when he gets his adult teeth comming in he'll be 4 months old so i'll have to wait and see. Infact i dont know exactly what kind of breed he is either yet until he gets older. After reading the pages cheapysmom gave me this could be the problem. ALthough he does hold it for 7 to 8 hours at night when im sleeping and up to 9 to 10 hours during the day when im at work and never makes a mess in his crate. It seems like im gonna have to put him in his crate more often from what the website said, i'm just giving him too much freedom and its actually my fault when he makes a mess. It also says that alot of what i've been doing is the bad stuff so hopefully with doing things the right way i can get the pup to understand better.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with the new approaches. Remember that a dog will rarely go in their crate. That would be like you or me pissing or crapping in our own beds.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']the problem with hittin is it can work but can only work if u its done while the animal is going to the bathroom. After they are done goin the animal already forgets and the hitting is not associated with the original action but with something else, that is why most people should not hit.

also I'm not sure u mentioned this but u should get your animal spade or neutered, it will cut down on the animal wanting to mark his territory, at least in my experience.[/QUOTE]

im wasnt hitting the pup hard, just a smack on the nose if i caught him while he was doing it or a smack on his ass if he was chewing on the couch or something and it just causes him to run away. He is kinda of a drama queen, he was screaming like i was cutting his tail off when i was putting his collar on. Which even though im not hitting him hard he still whines really loud and makes me feel like i really hurt him when i didnt.

cant get him neutered yet, he has to be six months old before i can do that.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I know there is this pepper spray stuff that u spray on the legs of couches so they avoid chewing on it[/QUOTE]

hmmm i'll have to look for that at the pet store, thanks bro.

[quote name='onetrackmind']hmmm i'll have to look for that at the pet store, thanks bro.[/QUOTE]

word just glad to help someone else who did a good deed too :)

I took me three months of kitchen time for my dog to be ok around the house, also you may want to try crating for like 4 hours a day, some dogs love it

[quote name='Wombat5277']I took me three months of kitchen time for my dog to be ok around the house, also you may want to try crating for like 4 hours a day, some dogs love it[/QUOTE]

yeah yeah and then bring all the neighbor kids over and let them poke sticks at it and get him in a really happy mood!!

Just kidding I know some dogs like the alone time. My dog always laid under one of our end tables next to the couch.

bread's done
Back