Need some advice on PSN and Xbox Live

jdktech2010

CAGiversary!
Ok, so this is more a discussion because I need to talk some things out with people that play on PSN more than I have. This is gonna be a long post so I would appreciate hanging in there

I'm starting up the internal debate on whether to start buying multiplatform games for PS3 or 360 again. I've got Live right now because of Halo (and am more than happy with Halo) but eventually I'll get tired of it (I think...up for debate) so I'm trying to decide if I should buy my next round (Medal of Honor and Black Ops) of multiplat games on PS3 or 360. So I've got a few questions and would appreciate your comments on the questions and in general.

1) I downloaded the MW2 single player demo on PS3 and it just felt awkward using the DS3. That might have to do with the fact I've used an xbox or 360 controller since I can remember (minus N64 and all those older consoles). Did anyone else switch over from 360 to DS3 controller and did you get used to shooters on the PS3 because that's mainly what I'm buying in MOH and Black Ops. I'm not that great at shooters as it is so I don't need help being worse. :)

2) Voice communication - how prevalant is it on PSN? I have a mic on 360 and it's a big deal for me with strategy and talking about the game at hand. I don't have a mic right now and for games like MOH (I feel like it's crucial). So how many people actually talk on PSN especially in shooters and is there a cheap but good quality mic I could purchase?

3) How's the overall integration of PSN, friends list, messages, party systems, etc. compared to Live? One thing I like about Live is how easy it is to add friends, respond and send messages and move in and out of parties

4) How's the community? In general, do they go for objectives, teamwork, etc.? I guess in general, how's the community as far as # of players and the quality of those players.

The reasoning behind this is that part of me thinks I could be saving 50 bucks a year if I could learn to live without Gears and Halo (not necessarily easy) and then other part says that I've always had Live and can afford it as a college student so it should be even less expensive (in respect to my total money pool) when I graduate and hopefully find a full time job in the fall.

I'm anticipating whether I should start now and buy games for PS3 to prepare for if/when I drop Live. But then again, if I never do I kinda wanna keep them all on 360 so basically just trying to get better informed to make a decision before MOH comes out. If this isn't the right place, sorry about that and feel free to delete it

Thanks

FYI, I can afford Live without a problem as a college student so it shouldn't get harder when I get out of college I would think) and sorry about the length of the post

First if you're paying 50 bucks a year for live you're doing wrong, second based on everything you've said, you probably won't be happy with PSN. It doesn't have as robust a community and features (no party, cross game chat, etc..) as XBL. Very few people talk on headsets compared to the 360 as well. That can be a plus as you don't have to hear whiny 8 year olds either. PSN has evolved significantly since the PS3's release but it's still a work in progress.

So basically, find a deal to get Live for like $30-40 and stick with it for your MP games.

[quote name='ssjmichael']First if you're paying 50 bucks a year for live you're doing wrong, second based on everything you've said, you probably won't be happy with PSN. It doesn't have as robust a community and features (no party, cross game chat, etc..) as XBL. Very few people talk on headsets compared to the 360 as well. That can be a plus as you don't have to hear whiny 8 year olds either. PSN has evolved significantly since the PS3's release but it's still a work in progress.

So basically, find a deal to get Live for like $30-40 and stick with it for your MP games.[/QUOTE]

Well I've always found them for 40 on amazon, newegg, etc....but now with the price being raised I'm just assuming they will be 50. Logic says go with the PS3 and just get on that bandwagon because it's generally more reliable (granted my 360 slim has been money since I got it), free online but the 360 is what I grew up on. It's like selling your childhood home to an extent....it's just what you're used to. I appreciate your insights though....As for the whiny 8 year olds, they can be muted on either platform so they don't bother me

Two things.

You've already made up your mind about going with Xbox Live. You like the functionality. You already have friends on there. You already like the controller. Keep it.

If you can't afford $60 or less for Live, find another hobby. At $60, that's 17 cents a day man... You can do even better if you find cards for cheaper or if you take advantage of the deal on the dashboard now (85 for 2 years plus 1600 points).

[quote name='jdktech2010']Ok, so this is more a discussion because I need to talk some things out with people that play on PSN more than I have. This is gonna be a long post so I would appreciate hanging in there

I'm starting up the internal debate on whether to start buying multiplatform games for PS3 or 360 again. I've got Live right now because of Halo (and am more than happy with Halo) but eventually I'll get tired of it (I think...up for debate) so I'm trying to decide if I should buy my next round (Medal of Honor and Black Ops) of multiplat games on PS3 or 360. So I've got a few questions and would appreciate your comments on the questions and in general.

1) I downloaded the MW2 single player demo on PS3 and it just felt awkward using the DS3. That might have to do with the fact I've used an xbox or 360 controller since I can remember (minus N64 and all those older consoles). Did anyone else switch over from 360 to DS3 controller and did you get used to shooters on the PS3 because that's mainly what I'm buying in MOH and Black Ops. I'm not that great at shooters as it is so I don't need help being worse. :)

2) Voice communication - how prevalant is it on PSN? I have a mic on 360 and it's a big deal for me with strategy and talking about the game at hand. I don't have a mic right now and for games like MOH (I feel like it's crucial). So how many people actually talk on PSN especially in shooters and is there a cheap but good quality mic I could purchase?

3) How's the overall integration of PSN, friends list, messages, party systems, etc. compared to Live? One thing I like about Live is how easy it is to add friends, respond and send messages and move in and out of parties

4) How's the community? In general, do they go for objectives, teamwork, etc.? I guess in general, how's the community as far as # of players and the quality of those players.

The reasoning behind this is that part of me thinks I could be saving 50 bucks a year if I could learn to live without Gears and Halo (not necessarily easy) and then other part says that I've always had Live and can afford it as a college student so it should be even less expensive (in respect to my total money pool) when I graduate and hopefully find a full time job in the fall.

I'm anticipating whether I should start now and buy games for PS3 to prepare for if/when I drop Live. But then again, if I never do I kinda wanna keep them all on 360 so basically just trying to get better informed to make a decision before MOH comes out. If this isn't the right place, sorry about that and feel free to delete it

Thanks

FYI, I can afford Live without a problem as a college student so it shouldn't get harder when I get out of college I would think) and sorry about the length of the post[/QUOTE]

1. It takes time to switch from one to the other, and for some reason I think DS3 to Xbox controller is easier transition then Xbox to DS3, but it wouldn't take more then a couple hours to get accustomed to the DS3.

2. The XBL guys use the mic a LOT more then PS3 guys usually do, but at the same time PS3 guys probably are higher "quality" mic guys. XBL mic users are usually just kids or fools who speak to annoy.

3. PSN is very easy to send messages, join parties, add friends, etc. just like XBL is. No worries there.

4. Community is dependant on the group of players you're playing with. Some XBL guys go for the objective and work together, most don't. Some PSN guys go for the objective and work together, most don't. Its not much better or worse on either side.

Final, its a good idea to build up the PS3 side if you can. Free online, big enough community, but if you can keep up XBL costs then I guess there's no reason to abandon your Gears of Wars/Halos and your XBL friends.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Two things.

You've already made up your mind about going with Xbox Live. You like the functionality. You already have friends on there. You already like the controller. Keep it.

If you can't afford $60 or less for Live, find another hobby. At $60, that's 17 cents a day man... You can do even better if you find cards for cheaper or if you take advantage of the deal on the dashboard now (85 for 2 years plus 1600 points).[/QUOTE]

I haven't even turned my 360 on in days because of the MOH and AC: Brotherhood betas.

Would that stack on top of what I already have so it would expire in December of 2013? I hate going that far in the future (never know what could happen with new set of consoles, etc.) but that's not a bad deal

[quote name='jdktech2010']I haven't even turned my 360 on in days because of the MOH and AC: Brotherhood betas.

Would that stack on top of what I already have so it would expire in December of 2013? I hate going that far in the future (never know what could happen with new set of consoles, etc.) but that's not a bad deal[/QUOTE]

You're not finding the MoH MP Beta to be incredibly linear? It just seems so boring to me personally...

If you don't want to do the 2 years, do the single year re-up. It's $45 and you get 800 points.

[quote name='mtxbass1']You're not finding the MoH MP Beta to be incredibly linear? It just seems so boring to me personally...

If you don't want to do the 2 years, do the single year re-up. It's $45 and you get 800 points.[/QUOTE]

Well, I mean it's not more linear than any other shooter...It'll probably be my 3rd shooter behind Black Ops and Halo: Reach for a while but I've played about 4 hours and it's pretty fun. It might get stale but I'm getting it for about 15-20 bucks thanks to Amazon royally screwing up my Reach order and giving me a bunch of credit for it

I think I'm someone who can give a decent answer since I went through the EXACT same thing you're going through last year with MW2. I had it on 360 and jumped to PS3. I wanted to only have 1 next gen console to help keep my spending in check and it worked. Figured that the PS3 exclusives were more to my liking than the 360's, so I stuck with PS3. At first it was weird not playing Halo anymore, but I got over it. Anyways, not gonna turn this into another "which console is better" thread, so I'll just answer the questions.

1) Yes, the controller will feel weird for a bit, but you'll eventually get used to it.

2) So far I've noticed it's about the same as on Live. Rarely do I ever hear strategies coming from strangers online, both on Live and on PSN. The only things coming out of random peoples mouths online is shittalk on both platforms. As for cheap headsets, any bluetooth headset works as a PS3 headset, so a cheap one isn't too hard to find.

3) Live is alot easier as far as organizing parties and such.

4) At least on MW2 the community has been basically the same to me. There will always be more players in general on Live, but that doesn't mean a game is hard to find. If, for example, theres 2 million players on Live and 1 million on PSN, you'll find a match in a heartbeat. Sure, Live has double the amount of players, but theres still a giant crapton on PSN.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I think I'm someone who can give a decent answer since I went through the EXACT same thing you're going through last year with MW2. I had it on 360 and jumped to PS3. I wanted to only have 1 next gen console to help keep my spending in check and it worked. Figured that the PS3 exclusives were more to my liking than the 360's, so I stuck with PS3. At first it was weird not playing Halo anymore, but I got over it. Anyways, not gonna turn this into another "which console is better" thread, so I'll just answer the questions.

1) Yes, the controller will feel weird for a bit, but you'll eventually get used to it.

2) So far I've noticed it's about the same as on Live. Rarely do I ever hear strategies coming from strangers online, both on Live and on PSN. The only things coming out of random peoples mouths online is shittalk on both platforms. As for cheap headsets, any bluetooth headset works as a PS3 headset, so a cheap one isn't too hard to find.

3) Live is alot easier as far as organizing parties and such.

4) At least on MW2 the community has been basically the same to me. There will always be more players in general on Live, but that doesn't mean a game is hard to find. If, for example, theres 2 million players on Live and 1 million on PSN, you'll find a match in a heartbeat. Sure, Live has double the amount of players, but theres still a giant crapton on PSN.[/QUOTE]

The way you form parties in Modern Warfare 2 (360) is different than vcxthe way you make parties on the PS3 version. In the PS3 version you invite friends to your party and then go into the different game modes (S&D, TDM, etc). I'm asking cause I've never played any game online with the 360 so I was curious about MW2 and how it worked.

1) Get this http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Dual-Trig...OEXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286496092&sr=8-1

As far as overall feel of controller, analog placements, analog convex vs concave, you'll get used to that fairly soon. You'll also appreciate the much better d-pad for quick changes in shooters.

2) Not that prevalent from my experience, but I'm sure if you partner up with people you will find people who use mics 24/7. Personally, I prefer not to. I find that I can work with teammates without a mic by working with them, but that may not work in all games. I'd go with the official mic or if you don't want to spend that much you could get a cheap bluetooth mic.

3) Works fine, but maybe a tad worse than Live, particularly the party thing.

4) I've found less jerks on PS3 than 360, perhaps because less people using mics. There's more young people on 360 and older people on PS3 so there seems to be more maturity on PS3. On Uncharted 2 I've played with people who work good as a team.

I'd base it on the games you like to play and whether or not you'd rather put the money spent on Live towards other things. I bet there are games for both systems you want to play so you may just want to use both systems.

bread's done
Back