Need some advice on what to do...

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I'm turning to you for advice CAG. I got a 360 at launch and it only RROD'd on me once. I eventually got rid of it about a year ago when I bought a PS3, since I really didn't want to have 2 consoles (figured if I have less consoles I'll be forced to spend less money on games). Fast forward to now and my PS3 slim is busted (Bluray drive died). I figured I'd get a new one instead of fixing the old one since I thought the new ones were more reliable. I ended up buying and returning 2 PS3s since both made a loud whining noise that was extremely annoying when playing games and especially when watching a movie. I then just found a local shop and have since sent in my old busted PS3 to get repaired. I'm now contemplating getting rid of the PS3 and getting a 360 slim. My main issue was never which exclusives were better, but it was more about reliability issues. I wanted a console that was built to last, and at the time it looked like the PS3 was it. When I look online nowadays, I see very few people having issues with 360 slims, but the amount of PS3 problems is amazingly high. I had my 360 for almost 4 years and only had it die on me once, and was replaced for free. I have my PS3 for roughly a year and it's already gone in for repair, only now I have to pay for it. I'm just scared I'll drop $150 to get the PS3 fixed only to have the drive die again, since dead Bluray drives seems to be a very common issue. Any advice on what to do?

While I have had no problems in the year I've had it, my friend has had it die 4-5 times (each time getting it repaired by Sony) within a month of getting it back each time.

I mean, it really depends what you want. The 360 is rumored to get another price drop, and if you want a blu ray I'm sure you can find one for relatively cheap.

Had my slim since they came out & had an original fatty until xmas....then got a new slim. None of mine have had issues. My only 360 died. I did have a ps2 die on me...but that's last gen. Pick what you are comfortable with. My only other statement would be that DVD players have been out far longer than BR players have, so I would expect DVD players to last longer.

My launch 60 gig YLOD on me after I want to say maybe 4 years. My new Slim is working just fine, I think the older PS3s are a little faster in terms of that they actually have firmware stored on them rather than something accessed off the HD. I really have no complaints about any Sony product I've purchased. I'd chalk up the two units to bad luck.

My 60GB PS3 lasted me 3 years before I sold it because I won the Slim PS3 from a CAG contest in 2010. It's been a year since I got the slim and I've had no problems with either system.

sounds like you may be a lil hard on your systems. Are they stored correctly? Enough ventilation, off the floor, dust free, not being ran 12 hours straight every day, etc?

[quote name='shadowkast']sounds like you may be a lil hard on your systems. Are they stored correctly? Enough ventilation, off the floor, dust free, not being ran 12 hours straight every day, etc?[/QUOTE]

They're on a shelf about 4 feet off the ground, right underneath the air conditioning vents. Never use them for more than 2 hours a day, sometimes not using them for weeks. Guess I just have bad luck.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']They're on a shelf about 4 feet off the ground, right underneath the air conditioning vents. Never use them for more than 2 hours a day, sometimes not using them for weeks. Guess I just have bad luck.[/QUOTE]
ahhh, well I dunno what to tell ya then. Both 'slim' systems seem to be alot more reliable so far, so it's your choice on if you have a game library already, want bluray or any other the other features on one system or another.

Make sure you buy new and not used though....that's my number #1 advice

[quote name='shadowkast']ahhh, well I dunno what to tell ya then. Both 'slim' systems seem to be alot more reliable so far, so it's your choice on if you have a game library already, want bluray or any other the other features on one system or another.

Make sure you buy new and not used though....that's my number #1 advice[/QUOTE]

Well my PS3 collection is about 10 games, maybe 5 of which I didn't plan on keeping. I don't have a sound system, so I can't enjoy Bluray to its full capacity. Honestly the only thing thats stopping me from doing this is Socom 4 and Uncharted 3. Maybe I'll just keep the PS3 as a Bluray player and to play those 2 games when they come out....

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']They're on a shelf about 4 feet off the ground, right underneath the air conditioning vents. Never use them for more than 2 hours a day, sometimes not using them for weeks. Guess I just have bad luck.[/QUOTE]Is the air conditioning blowing directly on the PS3? Any kind of hardware shouldn't be directly exposed to a cold blast from the AC or heat. Cold air can cause condensation across the PS3 internals and hardware usually makes less noise at normal operating temp rather than being significantly below temp.

[quote name='Mad39er']Is the air conditioning blowing directly on the PS3? Any kind of hardware shouldn't be directly exposed to a cold blast from the AC or heat. Cold air can cause condensation across the PS3 internals and hardware usually makes less noise at normal operating temp rather than being significantly below temp.[/QUOTE]

No, not directly below it, maybe 3 feet to the right of it. But it's close enough that it should never have any heat issues.

bread's done
Back