Need Some Advice with Fraudulent Customer

Zer0X1999

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Hey Guys. I need some help from those who are veterans in dealing with eBay scammers. Long Message, Thanks to those who read it.

Last month I sold this guy a CPU Mother Board Combo (AMD Duron 1.8 GHz + Elitegroup Mobo.) Just before shipping the items I tested everything and it worked
fine. However, now he's claiming that it does not work.

His First e-Mail/Claim (Names * Out):

"****, I bought a motherboard and processor of you last month. AMD Duron 1.8 GHz CPU and Motherboard Combo w/CPU Fan Item number: 6747560035 Seller: kamuix3 I finally got to put it together yesterday and this thing will not even boot????????? I would appriectate a refund A.S.A.P. or another motherboard and processor that works. I do not want to go to E-BAY OR leave you a bad review. I would much more like to resolve this matter between us if possiable. IN CHRIST, ****"

So basically what he's saying is that the stuff does not work. But it worked perfectly before sending it out. My first thought was that maybe it was damaged in Transit or that he's simply did not put it together properly.

So I respond:

"
I'm sorry to hear that the item did not boot, however, they were tested
prior to shipment and were in working order at that point. Did you check to make
sure that everything was installed and plugged in correctly? Many times it's
one of those little things that causes the hardware to fail.

Make sure that the power supply is properly connected to the outlet as well
as the motherboard. Also, check to make sure that the switch is properly
connected to the motherboard. Sometimes, the jumper could simply be facing the wrong direction, or it could be placed in the wrong row.

Lastly, always be careful to aviod any static friction as it can damage the
parts upon contact.

ALso I didn't sell RAM along with the combo, did you install RAM prior to
booting?

Tell me if any of the ideas I gave work."

He then responds twice:

"I've tested everything twice. I am electronic tech. Nothing was done wrong
or backwards. I've even test just the motherboard and processor with nothing
else hooked up to see if it would at lease give me some beeps. But nothing.
The fan turns on and the power button works but that's as far as it will
go????????????"

"Well **** I tried to do the right thing and give you a chance to correct
this error. I know you said it was tested and everything, BUT FOR THE
MOTHERBOARD NOT TO EVEN BOOT TELLS ME IT WAS DAMAGED IN ROUTE TO MEE OR IT
NEVER WORKED. THIS is my last attempt to solve this between us?????? I f you
have no remorse about it so be it. I will do what I have to do as you choose
to do as you have."

I didn't even respond to the first message before he sends his demand. My guess is that he managed to damage the stuff between the time he received it, and now. I'm thinking that he's looking to get a refund because of his own mistake.
I really don't want a negative feedback since I have a perfect score. Is there a
way to at least aviod having to send him cash?

BTW: It was mailed FedEx and fully insured, but I don't feel that I should scam
FedEx because of his error.

Scam fed ex? Have you ever seen how they treat packages at these mail processing places. It very likely got damaged in transit you bought insurance for a reason use it.

[quote name='jlarlee']Scam fed ex? Have you ever seen how they treat packages at these mail processing places. It very likely got damaged in transit you bought insurance for a reason use it.[/QUOTE]

YUP!

[quote name='jlarlee']Scam fed ex? Have you ever seen how they treat packages at these mail processing places. It very likely got damaged in transit you bought insurance for a reason use it.[/QUOTE]

I have also received some pretty fucked up packages from FedEx. I would agree that it was probably damaged in transit, or, maybe he is trying to wrong you. Either way, there's not much you could do (besides leave neg feedback) to him, so I'd get ahold of FedEx.

Another thing you might want to tell him to check is his heatsink, I know the heatsink for for a Duron can only attach one way, and if put on backwards the system will not post or beep when turned on. The heatsink design for a Duron is the same as the Athlon XP, and I accidently put one of those on backwards the other day and didn't notice until a while later. I was very upset because it didn't post, beep or anything, if he is used to working with Intel processors, it could be that simple oversight.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. He mentioned that the Package received looked like it was not damaged in any way. He also claimed in a recent e-mail that he tried swapping other parts in there and they still don't work.

[quote name='Lorik']Another thing you might want to tell him to check is his heatsink, I know the heatsink for for a Duron can only attach one way, and if put on backwards the system will not post or beep when turned on. The heatsink design for a Duron is the same as the Athlon XP, and I accidently put one of those on backwards the other day and didn't notice until a while later. I was very upset because it didn't post, beep or anything, if he is used to working with Intel processors, it could be that simple oversight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Maybe I'll try telling him that before filing the insurance claim.

Another possibility is that, he had a broken CPU before the auction, bid on your item got it and now wants to try to claim that the one you sent him is broken when it was the one that he had was already broken. I'm not saying that's the case but I have heard that happens from time to time with electronics auctions

I would go for the claim. Just because the box isn't damaged doesn't mean it wasn't thrown and the MOBO damaged. I know those handlers throw packages.

WHy don't you ask him to send it back to you. That way you know if he is lying or not about it working. The, if it is damaged, you can still file a claim with Fed Ex.

tell him to mail it back and once you verify it is in same condition as when sent and verify it is defective you will refund the purchase price. and if you have to refund file a claim with fed ex.

Either he needs to contact FedEx OR he should mail you the defective motherboard BEFORE you send him a refund.

Its simple, it worked when you shipped it. If it was damaged, have the buyer deal with FedEx, its not your problem. If he damaged installing it, then its his fault, not yours. If he's trying to do the CPU swap, as mentioned above, don't fall for it.

The only problem that you will have is with Paypal, if that is how he paid you. He could go to them and say that you sent him defective merchandise and its fraud. More than likely, they will just take the money from your account (or freeze the funds) while they investigate. You will lose the investigation and they will say its your fault for not getting the seller protection. It happened to me and its happened to several other people that I know.

Honestly, tech guy or not, I really think that he screwed the board up himself and is trying to get you to take the hit for it. Don't get suckered, a negative feedback isn't worth it.

Tell him you had the package insured and after he returns it to you his payment will be reimbursed in full plus the cost of return shipping. Odds are if he agrees either it doesn't work or he's trying to swap it with a broken copy he owns, which really doesn't seem to likely on a product like this.

[quote name='garoehr2']Its simple, it worked when you shipped it. If it was damaged, have the buyer deal with FedEx, its not your problem. If he damaged installing it, then its his fault, not yours. If he's trying to do the CPU swap, as mentioned above, don't fall for it.
[/QUOTE]
Assuming FedEx is like UPS, it's the sender, not the recipient, who has to deal with the insurance claim (at least the sender has to file it, the recipient can't). So if it was damaged in transit, it is the OP's problem.

Edited to add: I think the recipient can directly submit the evidence of damage, so he doesn't have to mail it back to you and can give it to fedex himself. Tho I'm not 100% sure on this.

OK. Thanks guys. I'll send an e-mail asking for him to send it back. But if it really isn't damaged I'm sure he'll messed it up before send it.

Here's his feedback:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=6747560035&frm=1883&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:UFS

Perfect Feedback thus far. So once I get the stuff back, should I file the claim or do I have
him do it? I don't really have experience on that part since this is the first time a buyer
has made claims against me.

We've always said if people send back within 7 days, we'll refund money. I usually add they have to send it back with all original parts (in our case that means case and manual). You'd be amazed how many we never get back after I say that!

Then when you get it back, file the complaint. You'll need original packaging. Do NOT let this go to Paypal. They always back the buyer. We've been righteously screwed a couple times sending things to Canada where you cannot get tracking numbers, so they luck out.

[quote name='savestheday888']Maybe he is lieing to you, just so he can get his money back, and keep the item.[/QUOTE]

It's also possible that he's lying to you.

How long between when he received the item, and he first contacted you? He said 'last month', but that could mean March 30th...

[quote name='gizmogc']How long between when he received the item, and he first contacted you? He said 'last month', but that could mean March 30th...[/QUOTE]

The auction ended on the 5th and he received the items about a week later.

He just e-mailed me back with this:

"First off why would I send them back without a guarantee and second I would
be out my money and the product I bought. Leaving me with no prove they
never worked. If you need FedEx to see them they can reach me here at work
we have a FedEx guy here everyday. I am willing to send them back to you if
you guarantee in writing I will get my money back or a product of equal
value?"

It's like he has absolutely no trust and not even willing to make a good faith effort
to make this transaction work. This from a "Christianman"

[quote name='browneyedgal68']We've always said if people send back within 7 days, we'll refund money. I usually add they have to send it back with all original parts (in our case that means case and manual). You'd be amazed how many we never get back after I say that!

Then when you get it back, file the complaint. You'll need original packaging. Do NOT let this go to Paypal. They always back the buyer. We've been righteously screwed a couple times sending things to Canada where you cannot get tracking numbers, so they luck out.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. I'm going to put that stipulation in all my future auctions.

What did you e-mail him? Assuming he's legit and didn't break it himself or swap in a defective part for your good part.

If I were in his shoes and the seller e-mailed me something like bluekeith75 suggested:

"tell him to mail it back and once you verify it is in same condition as when sent and verify it is defective you will refund the purchase price. and if you have to refund file a claim with fed ex."

I wouldn't feel very warm and fuzzy about sending it back in either. I'd want the seller to assure me they'd issue a refund once they received the item back. If they wouldn't do that I'd probably pursue a chargeback.

Now if you want to play hardball you could agree to give him a refund once you get it back, but let him know you recorded the serial number (or whatever applies) for the main parts of the mobo and will be verifying they are the same as what you sent out. (This is basically saying you think he's scamming you and will piss him off I'm sure.) He should have no problem with that (other than being POed at the insinuation) unless he is trying to pull a fast one.

My advice would be to look into how FedEx handles insurance claims and take it from there. Hopefully judyx3's assumption is on ball and you can initiate the claim and have the buyer simply hand over the evidence to FedEx. If dude comes back and tells you he doesn't have whatever FedEx will need for a claim (packaging, etc.) You could take a hard line at that point.

I got him to agree to send it back,though he did sound fairly insulted that I even asked for the parts back. I asked him to write a summary of the condition of the package and items when he received it, opened it, and used it. So I can hand that to FedEx along with anything else they happen to ask for.

I should have wrote the serial number however, I didn't really think of that since everything was working ok when I sent it out.

Some FAQ's about FedEx damage claims:
http://www.fedex.com/us/customersupport/freight/faq/claims.html

With my $0.02 on the situation, if the parts weren't new in box, I'd have recorded the serial #'s down, just for situations like this. A MLB or CPU is fragile enough as it is, it could've possibly been damaged in shipment, though assuming you took proper precautions on packaging it, it should've survived the trip intact. Also never know when someone will try and play "swap the bad part and blame the shipped" on an unsuspecting person.

IMHO, I think he screwed up the install and is trying to shaft you on the purchase. If he doesn't have the original box, then FedEx will deny your claim, since they want to see the item and the packaging, to determine if they're at fault. No original box, most likely, no damage claim. No obvious signs of damage, they'll want to have you prove that it was working before it was shipped. Might be hard, under the circumstances.

bread's done
Back