Need some assistance with a sony vaio

dabears1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
hey guys
I have been working on a vaio for the last three weeks and for the life of me i cant seem to figure out the solution. as of now there is only two that i have know of. the most important one is the dvd drive is not working. it does not show up on device manager. i have searched for any hardware changes and nothing. i got all the drivers from the sony site. downloaded them for 7 ultimate 32 bit and nothing. there was a sliver of hope when i installed the reg patch for the sd card reader. the dvd player worked. i tried to make sure the drive was up and running. put in a cd and it went dead. i am starting to think this is more of a hardware issue and not software. what do you guys suggest in my next steps being?
2nd problem is the boot times. it hangs for about a minute on the vaio screen/ f2 to get into bios screen. crazy thing was when the sd card reader patch was installed, it booted right away. restarted the laptop and it still hangs. please help me not take a hammer to this machine, as i am on the verge to doing so.

Well it sounds like the DVD drive is going bad or is already there. It will need to be replaced. As far as the hanging issue, did you make sure that your specs can run Windows 7 and all of that? It could be a ram issues (size or a bad stick), hdd issue, Windows installation issue, you name it. Try to repair the Windows installation first so you preserve your files. If nothing is on the laptop that you need, then just do a clean install and go from there.

The vaio had vista installed on it. Dvd player was acting up. Took me about three tries to install 7. As for the ram, I think they are doing good. The guy told me he had it for about a year now so it should be fine. The size does not seem to be an issue. 7 asks for one gig for 32 and 2 gig for 64. I think its 10 or 12 gigs for hard drive space for 32 and 20 for 64. The one part that has me pulling my hair is that in device manager there is no cd/dvd tree. Could it be that the dvd drive is faulty and not show up? Should there be a cd/dvd tree even when a dvd drive is not present?

bread's done
Back