Need some feedback on a game chracter design.

CapAmerica

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I've started work on modeling out a character for my next console game project and I'm looking for some feedback on the character's look.
This is a early prototype of the model, around his neck will be a scarf which is currently just being illustrated with a blue placeholder. Also his boots are untextured.

Project_P-Test003.jpg

closeup.jpg

Any feedback would be nice.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this.

I love him. Things I might change:
- slightly smaller beak/nose
- more pudgy belly
- some small eyebrows that express his emotion (I know what you're going for with none but I think this would work nicely)
- maybe some white stripes on the back/top of his arms.
- It would be cool if he could get a cape during the game.
Just some ideas that might give you more inspiration over his design, but it is great.

I don't know what type of game you're making but nice start. I suggest adding a monocle, a corn pipe, and a top hat.

what kind of game is it going to be genre wise? whats the game about? itd be easier to give suggestions with some kind of info on what youre looking to have the character do. also is it going to be one of those simple psn/xbox live games or a console game? also are you looking for your character to be more of a cutesy type character or will he have personality?

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far :)

[quote name='lokizz']what kind of game is it going to be genre wise? whats the game about? itd be easier to give suggestions with some kind of info on what youre looking to have the character do. also is it going to be one of those simple psn/xbox live games or a console game? also are you looking for your character to be more of a cutesy type character or will he have personality?[/QUOTE]

Well I can't say a whole lot right now, But here is what I can say;
Its going to be a platform style game, kind of in the style of Mario, Kirby and the old school Capcom Disney games. As it stands right now it's going to be digital download game on WiiWare and XboxLive Arcade. I'm trying to go for a cute-ish character (not to cute that it pushes away male gamers) but also have personality, I'm currently working on some of his expressions and I hope that gives him a nice edge.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Thanks everyone for the feedback so far :)

Its going to be a platform style game, kind of in the style of Mario, Kirby and the old school Capcom Disney games. As it stands right now it's going to be digital download game on WiiWare and XboxLive Arcade. I'm trying to go for a cute-ish character (not to cute that it pushes away male gamers) but also have personality, I'm currently working on some of his expressions and I hope that gives him a nice edge.[/QUOTE]

I too was working on a platformer starring a penguin, but I was in the very early stages of making it and it will probably never be finished :(. Good luck on your penguin platformer.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Thanks everyone for the feedback so far :)

Its going to be a platform style game, kind of in the style of Mario, Kirby and the old school Capcom Disney games. As it stands right now it's going to be digital download game on WiiWare and XboxLive Arcade. I'm trying to go for a cute-ish character (not to cute that it pushes away male gamers) but also have personality, I'm currently working on some of his expressions and I hope that gives him a nice edge.[/QUOTE]

you might want to make him look more like those penguins in those penguin movies. keep his colors traditional or maybe go with inverted colors ( white with black spots) or maybe have some kind of off markings on his stomach like a star or something.

if you do the powerup thing maybe he changes colors with the powerup he uses and on to of that if hes got a weird thingy on his stomach maye the type of powerup hes using will show up in it. like a flame for fire or an icecube for freezing.

It would be cool if he had powerups tied to his kick ass boots that change color like boots that prevent him from slipping on ice or let him jump higher etc. Maybe like lokizz says a spot on his stomach changes color too. Or boots or stomach only depending on the powerup.

Honestly, right now he looks sort of generic. Just a cartoon penguin. Maybe that is the point, but I tend to think it's the oddities that make characters most memorable. I like the idea from above of inverting the traditional penguin colors. Now he's an outcast, a sort of ugly duckling leading the charge in the game. Another suggestion from above was give him a pudgy stomach. Again, not a bad idea. Ever watched a fat kitten or duckling? They're pretty cute.

Things like this not only make the little guy (girl?) stick out in my mind, but they make me root for them, too. Who doesn't like the awkward underdog?

bread's done
Back