Need Some Help With A New LCD TV.

dman1869

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
To my fellow CAGs, I would like any recommendations you might have on the recent purchase that I made from Best Buy a couple weeks ago. I bought a Samsung LN-T5281F LCD TV! :D I should be getting an HDMI cable from monoprice pretty soon but I'm not sure which would work or is best. Also, I probably don't have enough room for a surround sound setup, but if I decide to get it, what package should I get? And just to make sure I understand right, if I have a newer Xbox 360 with an HDMI input, what cable should I get for that & will it make a big difference from the component cables that are in there now? As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading. Here's the link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8457216&type=product&id=1184369167080

Awesome set! If you get one of the newer Xbox 360s that have HDMI you should go with the HDMI cable for it. It's only a very small if any difference, but if you have the HD-DVD add on it will do 1080p for those movies only over VGA or HDMI. With the HDMI cable it will also upscale normal dvds. For surround sound definitely do not go with a home theater in a box kit. Personally I love Onkyo receivers, you get great quality at a very respectable price. If you do decide to get surround, check out AVSforum.com. They have excellent reviews on home electronics, and a user thread for just about every newer piece of home theater equipment listing any known issues. Again awesome set, I looked at the 81 series but it's a bit out of my range!

It's actually a bit out of my range too but I had a ton of gift cards that I had been saving up plus some store credit so that definitely helped. As far as getting the HDMI, that's a given, but which one should I get? And what is DVI, HDMI Ver 1.3, & DVI/HDMI? Also, I don't see where it lists the Hz for each cable that is listed on Monoprice, am I missing something?

For HDMI cables, you just want the male to male cable if are going from the HDMI port of your xbox to the HDMI port of the TV. The only reason you would want HDMI/DVI is if you were going to go from HDMI out to DVI in...but since you have a sweet new tv with HDMI, you shouldn't need to do that haha.

As for version 1.3, you don't need it, as there are very few devices that actually output in 1.3 right now. On the other hand, since it is such a small price difference, it may be worth it to get the 1.3 cable if you ever upgrade in the future. The cables themselves are backwards compatible, so your xbox and tv will work with the 1.3 cables, regardless of whether or not they actually support 1.3.

Hope that helps!

[quote name='devildr1ver']have you "broken in" your plasma?[/quote]

Ha! Yea, be careful with your Wii remote. ;)

And since you're loaded OP, have you looked into calibrating your set? Something like this as an example? I don't have an HDTV so i don't know much about it, but I've heard it makes a world's difference in picture quality.

Edit: Stupid picture. Amazon automatically threw that in.

[quote name='Plac1d']Ha! Yea, be careful with your Wii remote. ;)

And since you're loaded OP, have you looked into calibrating your set? Something like this as an example? I don't have an HDTV so i don't know much about it, but I've heard it makes a world's difference in picture quality.

Edit: Stupid picture. Amazon automatically threw that in.[/quote]

Does that work with a TV? interesting.

[quote name='Twilight Wolf']lnt is lcd
hpt is plasma[/QUOTE]

What is that supposed to mean?

And no, Plac1d, I'm not loaded but my wife & I just bought a house & this is the TV that's going to there for quite a long time. :)

[quote name='dman1869']What is that supposed to mean?

And no, Plac1d, I'm not loaded but my wife & I just bought a house & this is the TV that's going to there for quite a long time. :)[/quote]

What that means is, the guy asked if you broke in your plasma. The first letters in a plasma is hpt while you LCD the first few letters are LNT. As in LN-T5281F.

He was just telling the guy that.

bread's done
Back