Need some help with Excel 2007 (Labeling X-Axis)

lolwut?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Alright, to make a long story short, I'm making a graph for my bio lab. I'm not used to Excel 2007 (I've mostly used 2003 or 2004), and I can't find a way to label the X-Axis (horizontal) on my graph. The program's default charts only provide a box to label the Y-Axis (vertical).

I've looked around the options and done a Google search but haven't found anything helpful. I've also tried to manually add my own text box in, but it always comes out looking bad, as there's not enough room fit it in there, and trying to scale the rest of the graph to accommodate the new text box doesn't work so well.

I need your help CAGs!

Check under the "Layout" menu and look for an icon with "Axis Titles" under it and there should be an option from there. Should be in the middle of the screen almost and the subcategory under the icons is "Labels"

I don't have (or use) 2007 but I happen to have my textbook from the office courses in college sitting next to me at work... go figure? My job calls for me to use excel at least 2/3 of the time and I can't stand 2007 either; usually when they attempt to 'simplify' something, it means I can't access the options I normally use to change things as easily.

Got it, thanks a bunch dude.

Yeah, all the 2007 versions fucking blow, especially Word. You have to manually add Print and Save As to the quick icon menus :roll:

[quote name='lolwut?']Yeah, all the 2007 versions fucking blow, especially Word. You have to manually add Print and Save As to the quick icon menus :roll:[/QUOTE]
I'm slowly getting used to Office 2007. It's not all bad. Word has been easier to handle for me than Excel. They really jumbled Excel macro support. It's terrible.

The cool thing about Excel 2007 is that it can handle a lot of rows per sheet. Sometimes I use Excel for iterative finite difference solvers, just as a way to peek in on a problem, and now you can use a crazy small time step. 2003 used to top you out at ~65K rows. 2007 literally gives you 1e6 rows.

Anytime I hear people go off on Microsoft, I think to myself, "That person doesn't understand Excel." It's like when people hate on Apple. Sure the Apple cult is annoying, but how can you deny the iPhone or ignore the huge influence Apple had in the classroom in the early 80s? Anyhow, I could never despise MS because of Excel. In the right hands, it is a blessed greatsword of analysis. Excel can do it all.

[quote name='dothog']I'm slowly getting used to Office 2007. It's not all bad. Word has been easier to handle for me than Excel. They really jumbled Excel macro support. It's terrible.

The cool thing about Excel 2007 is that it can handle a lot of rows per sheet. Sometimes I use Excel for iterative finite difference solvers, just as a way to peek in on a problem, and now you can use a crazy small time step. 2003 used to top you out at ~65K rows. 2007 literally gives you 1e6 rows.

Anytime I hear people go off on Microsoft, I think to myself, "That person doesn't understand Excel." It's like when people hate on Apple. Sure the Apple cult is annoying, but how can you deny the iPhone or ignore the huge influence Apple had in the classroom in the early 80s? Anyhow, I could never despise MS because of Excel. In the right hands, it is a blessed greatsword of analysis. Excel can do it all.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know they upped the row limit in 2007 so that's good to know. There's nothing more frustrating than running a database query or pivot table that freezes your computer for 5 minutes only to come back with "There are more records than blah blah" I guess they'd need to upgrade some hardware around here before giving me 2007 though because I can already picture the lights flickering and smoke pouring out of the old Optiplex I work off of if I try and run a report with more than 65,XXX rows of data coming back. :bouncy:

I agree though, the amount of data manipulation and whatnot you can do with excel baffles my mind at times. I still feel like a total noob since I only know what I've learned on the fly from my job (or google) in the past 20 months; and it was the highlight of my work day to figure out how to mess with the color pallet (sad on many levels, I know). But it's a beast of a program. I just wish they didn't mess with the user interface although I understand that they want to make it easier for people in general and I'm sure they figure those who know what they're doing will figure things out anyway.

bread's done
Back