Need some help with Xbox DVD drive

PsyClerk

CAGiversary!
Readers of DCR know that my Xbox finally died, or rather was in the process of dying. So I bought a new one today and just finished transferring what files I could over to the new machine. As I finished, I ejected the disc tray in both machines just out of curiosity and was surprised to see they looked nearly alike! I know that in the past, you could ID which of the three DVD drives your Xbox had by looking at the tray. The drives, in order from worst to best, were Thompson, Phillips and Samsung.

I always thought I had a Phillips drive, because I never had any of the problems that were associated with a Thompson drive. Turns out my almost-launch-day Xbox had a Thompson. No worries there, but it looks like my brand new Xbox has the same drive as my old one. The trays look similar, but my new one has two very small holes in the sides. From what I've seen online, the Samsung drive has two fairly large holes in the tray. The holes in my new drive are nowhere near as large as the ones I've seen on the web (if I had a quarter every time I said something similar...).

Does anyone know if maybe Samsung made a slight change in their drive tray? Is this a new type of drive? Date of production on the new Xbox is Jan 19 2005, if that helps. If I have somehow got a shoddy drive, I would like to know so I can take it back.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Take this with a grain of salt, but I think the Hitachi drives look very similar to the Thompson drives.[/QUOTE]

They do, but the hitachi are a lot better, but the drive doesnt really matter for peopel who jsut want to play games.

The drive DOES matter from what I've heard. Some drives crap out pretty easily, even if you only play games.

bread's done
Back