Need some opinions on a few things (surround sound, hdtv, shelving ect.)

wolverinefactor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
175 (100%)
Hey fellow CAGS. I'm looking to upgrade my stuff this year and I have a number of questions.

HDTV: I'm looking to buy one. I was at Wal-Mart and they had a 37 inch lcd hdtv for 997 and some change. It was a magnavox. The display wasn't too shabby looking. Anyone have this tv and can vouch for it?

I think I would prefer a 40-42 inch SOny LCD HDTV but they are almost double but for whichever I pick I'm looking to get a store credit card with no interest for 12 months, which I can easily pay off.

Surround Sound: Again I was at Wal-Mart and they had a durabrand (who?) 80watt satalight surround sound thing. Didn't have a player or anything which is what I want (meaning I want just the SS unit w/ speakers). However, 80watt doesn't seme like much when I look at the Sony one they have which is 200 and the watts was 900 I believe.

Shelving: I'm looking for some new shelving options. In my sig is my collection but to make thinsg easier I have 1800 dvds almost, 600 games, 400 cds and a number of books. I have bookcases but I am very over flowed. I use to buy cheapo things from Target and Wal-Mart but they are no longer made. I'm thinking of working on the cheap here ebcause the tv and surround will take my money.

However, I keep seeing these great metal shelving units, perfect for dvds and games but it's only 3 shelves, don't look like they can be stacked and they don't hold enough to warrent the $30 price tag. Any tips on some great alternatives or maybe a better price than $30?

DVD Cases: I have a few dvds that either came from Blockbuster or have no case at all. Where can I buy NORMAL dvd cases and not those lame slim cases. Cheapest price?

Thanks everyone. Here's some pics of the mess I am in. The long shot, there is a row of dvds going all the way across and then they are stacked like that in front of that other row.

HPIM1114.jpg

HPIM1113.jpg

The first thing I would look at is the amount of high def input the TV has. Also look to see if it has HDMI or DVI inputs. I would try to get a TV that a HDMI and at least 2 component inputs.

I've got a Phillips 32". Got it at the Target sale last year for $1000. I love the picture to death but it only has one component input, so I'm stuck with the DVR and 360. Everything else has to go on the crappy TV in the bedroom which my wife isn't too happy about.

Surround sound is something I'm working on myself. Audiophiles will always tell you to buy each component individually but that takes time, effort, and a crapload of knowledge. I went with the LG Surround Sound in a Box. It sounds great and has a great subwoofer. There are some minor problems with it but nothing too major. I got lucky and got the last one at Circuit City for $150.

I'd make my own shelving but that's if you want to go to Home Depot and buy the wood and if you have the proper tools. It takes time but you can make exactly what you want to the exact specifications you want.

I just upgraded a majority of my stuff as well. While the Magnavox is okay, for the same grand you can get a 34 inch HD CRT Sony and I'll guarantee you that the picture will blow it away. Circuit City and Best Buy also offer no interest financing for a year, sometimes more if theres a promo. If you have room for a tube, get that instead.

Theres nothing wrong with Home Theater is a Box sets, however anything with integrated DVD players/changers in the recievers will end up being replaced sooner than later. I recommend looking at some Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha sets where they come with actual recievers so you can replace/upgrade speakers as you go. I bought the Onkyo 5.1 set, model 590. Perfect for my room but my only complaint it it doesn't have a powered subwoofer. The was just over $200 with an employee discount at CC, but I believe it regularly goes on sale for about $230 and theres always coupons going around.

For the shelfing, Ikea is probably the cheapest way to go. A lot of their stuff looks pretty nice. If you have a big open wall, just get a bunch of long shelf pieces, but a bunch of brackets and that would be a ton cheaper than getting floor standing media cases.

For DVD cases, I get mine at shop4tech.com for doing custom art and the like. I believe anything starting with a pack of 25 has free shipping. Its about 20 shipped for 50 cases IIRC.

Seriously... sell a bunch of those DVDs that you never watch and spend a decent amount on money on equipment.

A little analogy... you have $20,000 of stereo equipment and are looking to buy a Kia to put it in.

[quote name='CaptainChunk']Seriously... sell a bunch of those DVDs that you never watch and spend a decent amount on money on equipment.

A little analogy... you have $20,000 of stereo equipment and are looking to buy a Kia to put it in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I guess but I've sold any movies I don't like and would never watch again. I have a few duds but they are for completion sake (be it an actress or director, or series).

Go with a 42" plasma (panasonics are the best for the money) $1200
the only recievers I would buy are Harmon Kardon or Denon $400
SV Subwoofers SBS-01 speaker set $1000
Oppo 970HD dvd player $150

Those prices are just a close guess, but for $2750 you would have a kick as little system. Those are all quality components from respected audio and video companies.

CALLING ALL CHEAPASSGAMER'S WITH ENGINEERING DEGREES............

j/k, but WHOA!..............i mean, WHOOOOOA!

i'll try and give some 2-cents thats worth more than my post; that's after I recover from being petrified.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Thanks but I'm looking at LCD not plasma. Size is obviously an issue and what I have will hold a lcd nicely but not a plasma.[/quote]

I would still get the same components, just pick out an LCD that you like. I went with a Panny plasma and love it. Fantastic picture.

bread's done
Back