Need some TV show reccomendations.

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Ok so me and my fiancee have a great TV, but like a growing number of people we don't have cable(or even basic Television hooked up). Instead we watch what we want to watch on the net, rent from netflix or buy the DVDs.

The downside to this is you cant just surf the TV Guide channel or see commercials for shows. This means we usually have no clue whats good on TV and just have to try and keep checking in on shows we have watched in the past to see if there is a new season. I am hoping people here can suggest 2 things for me. 1 a website taht keeps track of whats on TV at any given time that way I can surf it for suggestions and 2 just some suggestions of shows on right now that they think we might like. I will provide a list below of what we watch but most of its the high drama cable shows like Nip Tuck and Dexter or Reality Shows(fiancee loves them, I play games while watching them!). We also watch alot of cartoons.

List of shows we watch or have watched
-------------------------------------
Dexter
Nip Tuck
Big Love
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Freaks and Geeks
Rock of Love/Flavor of Love
Charm School
Celebrity fit club
Shear Genius
Top Chef
Americas Next Top Model
Project Runway(also watched Austrialian seasons)
Biggest Loser

Cartoons
-------------------
Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends
Invader Zim
Simpsons
Family Guy
American Dad
Boondocks
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Venture Bros
Moral Oral

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Here's a few missing off your list:

30 Rock
The Office
Lost
Mad Men
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Entourage (not a show I personally like, but all guys that I know love it)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shield
Dead Like Me
The Big Bang Theory
House
Miami Vice (netflix watch it now)
Forever Knight (netflix watch it now)
Quantum Leap
Mork and Mindy

[quote name='Synergy']Here's a few missing off your list:

30 Rock
The Office
Entourage (not a show I personally like, but all guys that I know love it)[/QUOTE]

Way to post exactly what I going to, hahaha.

Well, except for the fact that I do love Entourage.

Only three shows I watch all the time are LOST, Fringe, and Dexter.

Hells Kitchen and the BBC Kitchen nightmares are also good, when it's on.

Added Dead like me, Sunny in Philadelphia and Big Bang Theory to the list(as well as a bunch of old shows that somehow got reccomend on netflix like king of queens and rosseanne which I loved). I am kind of scared to try 30 Rock since I HATE Tina Fey though. I added entorage since I have liked all the HBO shows. I have known for some time I should give that show a shot.....but just thought the idea of a bunch of hanger on LA deusches just didnt sound entertaining but annoying. Mad Men was the final one that I was skeptical on but added to watch.

Thanks for all the suggestions, feel free to keep em coming.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am kind of scared to try 30 Rock since I HATE Tina Fey though.[/quote]

Oh my god, blasphemy. Does not compute.

Either way, you should still give it a chance. It has a great cast and it's brilliantly written.

[quote name='Synergy']Oh my god, blasphemy. Does not compute.

Either way, you should still give it a chance. It has a great cast and it's brilliantly written.[/QUOTE]

I see her as a loud mouthed feminist, never really cared for her but after she started going off topic and whining about Hillary Clinton being treated unfairly I was definitely done with her. Doesnt help that I hate Jimmy Falon and she was kinda brought in on SNL with him AND that 30 Rock Co star is Baldwin another loud mouthed ass hole. Still Ill give teh show a chance, good tv is good tv.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I see her as a loud mouthed feminist[/quote]

*twitch*

I will exert supreme self-control and stay on topic.

Thought of a few more, and since a couple of people mentioned shows that aren't on the air anymore, I'll add one too:

Six Feet Under (nevermind, you watch this already)
Weeds
Dirty Sexy Money
Brothers and Sisters
How I Met Your Mother

[quote name='Synergy']Thought of a few more, and since a couple of people mentioned shows that aren't on the air anymore, I'll add one too:

Six Feet Under
Weeds
Dirty Sexy Money
Brothers and Sisters
How I Met Your Mother[/quote]

Dude already said he watched Six Feet Under. Also, you may not want to start with Dirty Sexy Money since ABC has all but canceled it. I would definitely second The Shield. The final season alone is worth it, but everything leading up to it is really damn good too. I would recommend Battlestar Galactica. You may think you won't like it because it's too geeky/nerdy/Star Trek-y, but it is actually more about morality, politics and what it means to be human. But it is all done so well that it never seems preachy or anything, it's just great television.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Dude already said he watched Six Feet Under. Also, you may not want to start with Dirty Sexy Money since ABC has all but canceled it. I would definitely second The Shield. The final season alone is worth it, but everything leading up to it is really damn good too. I would recommend Battlestar Galactica. You may think you won't like it because it's too geeky/nerdy/Star Trek-y, but it is actually more about morality, politics and what it means to be human. But it is all done so well that it never seems preachy or anything, it's just great television.[/quote]

I didn't catch the 6FU thing on his OP, my mistake.

But I disagree with you about Dirty Sexy Money. It's still a decent show to check out. Arrested Development got canceled and most people think that was one of the better shows in television. Cancellation isn't a sole indicator of whether or not it's worth watching something.

[quote name='Synergy']*twitch*

I will exert supreme self-control and stay on topic.

Thought of a few more, and since a couple of people mentioned shows that aren't on the air anymore, I'll add one too:

Six Feet Under (nevermind, you watch this already)
Weeds
Dirty Sexy Money
Brothers and Sisters
How I Met Your Mother[/QUOTE]

I already have weeds but havnt watched it yet. I will look into the other 3 here shortly. Only reason I havnt already is by adding stuff on netflix it has led to me having like 3 dozen tabs up on things I might want to watch.

Check out ST. ELSEWHERE season 1 from the 80's....its a great look back at some stars today early in their careers, as well as getting a heaping does of the sexisim and racisim you just won't see on TV anymore :)

If LA Law is on DVD yet, rent that too.

For a laugh there is always CHIPS or EMERGENCy on DVD...

'Law and Order: SVU' is pretty awesome.
And if we're going to mention canceled in their prime shows, check out 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.' So good.

Weeds
How I Met Your Mother
True Blood whenever it comes out
Reaper

and since you watch a lot of Adult Swim... Robot Chicken

If you like gritty shows check out The Shield. Since I see Sopranos on your list I don't think it will have any content you can't stomach. :D

Californication is great (Showtime). Old shows that if you haven't seen you have to (and they are available on DVD) are The X-Files, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars and Angel.

Pushing Daises (my current favorite)
How I Met Your Mother
The Shield
Rescue Me

I agree with you about Tina Fey, but I still enjoy 30 Rock so its probably still worth checking out.

Battlestar Galactica
FireFly
Farscape
Deadwood
Rome
The Wire
Alias
Buffy
Angel
Veronica Mars
Wonderfalls
The Office
Weeds
My Name Is Earl
Supernatural
Flight Of The Conchords
Skins
Shameless
Extras
John From Cincinnati

Have added some shows such as pushing daisies. Some of the others like Xfiles, Robot CHicken and Buffy are already favorites ;)

One of the best animated series ever: the Batman series from the early 90s.
My god, I can't believe how much I LOVE this show. Great writing, mood, and acting.

This is what my wife and I watch during the week:

Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Reaper
Fringe
New Adventures of Old Christine
Gary Unmarried
Criminal Minds
CSI Vegas
The Office
My Name is Earl

I'll second It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Extras for comedy.

also you said you watched The Simpsons and Family Guy, if you like either of those I'd definitely check out Futurama and South Park.

Drama wise, Law and Order: SVU is great stuff. (all a lot of the seasons are available for Netflix streaming) Weeds is okay, i got kind of bored with it after the second season, but I thought the majority of the 1st and 2nd seasons are good.

Madmen too.

Weeds is fantastic - S1 & 2 are available for instant streaming through Netflix, and S3 is available on DVD.

I'll toss out a recommendation for Burn Notice and The Shield as well.

The Wire
Lost
Rome
Deadwood
The Tudors
Heroes
Firefly

If you only watch one of those, absolutely be sure to watch The Wire. It takes about 3 episodes to introduce characters and finally get the plot rolling full tilt and it doesn't slow down. The show is rewarding to watch, like "watching a novel" according to most critical reviews. A frequent observation about the show is you will probably never meet anyone who has seen it but did not like it, provided they didn't just watch the first two episodes and think "meh." I think it's the most intelligently written and perfectly paced show ever made and without a doubt in the top 10, heck top 5, TV shows ever made. No weak episodes, something always happens, you will care for certain characters to a surprising degree and feel genuine sorrow for some. Although the final season didn't have the same "punch" every prior season had because it's a shortened season fast-tracking the overall conclusion and had a few too many new characters you didn't need to invest in due to it being the final season. The best part about the show is the dialogue is how people really talk. Even the cop and/or street lingo doesn't get dumbed down. And the show, despite being a drama, can frequently be funnier than even a top tier purely comedic TV show.

Glad to see you're a Dexter fan. ;)

Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Too bad more people aren't watching, because it's excellent! Check it out.

Added

Breaking Bad
Mad men
Chuck
Eureka
30 Rock
Skins
Shameless
Wonderfalls
How I met your mother
Reaper
Extras
The Tudors
Rome
The Loop

Thanks to everyone suggested. And realize just because I didnt add your suggestions doesnt mean I thought they were bad, hell alot of them were stuff like Oz and Deadwood which are already favorites of mine. Can anyone suggest more adult swim like shows? I listed some I have seen and I had already watched Robot Chicken(and Southpark which I know is a CC show).

[quote name='cgarb84']MY GOD PLEASE ADD THE SHIELD. One of the best shows in the history of TV imo.[/QUOTE]

Ya I know people are a huge fan of it and a lot of others like 24 but I just really am not into Police/Law Enforcement shows.

Check out

*Summer Heights High (HBO)
*Flight of the Conchords (HBO)
Dragon's Den (BBCA) (only non comedy)
Coupling (BBCA)

And here are some not advailable in the US:

*Peep Show
That Mitchel and Webb Look
That Mitchel and Webb Situation
The Thick of It
*The Hollowmen
*The Office (Original British version)
Cyderdelic
*Phoenix Nights

* = my favorite

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ya I know people are a huge fan of it and a lot of others like 24 but I just really am not into Police/Law Enforcement shows.[/quote]

Fair enough, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Coupling. The British original series in four seasons is just one season from our perspective, being a whole 24 episodes. One of the best sitcoms you could ever watch with your SO. The US attempt at remaking this show failed badly, with most of the ten episodes never broadcast but it is worth finding a download just to contrast and see how they got it wrong. (The lead actress, best known these days as Heidi Petrelli on Heroes, was the only really correct casting decision.)

Skins: A teenage soap opera for people who hate teenage soap operas. The O.C., 90210, Dawson's Creek, etc. I hate those shows. Skins is what all those shows wish they could have been. The last few minutes of the first season finale has a real surprise. Plus, they don't ignore the passage of time. No thirty year old high school students here. The third season replaces the entire cast because they've all hit adulthood and moved on into their lives. The only character left from before is the younger sister of one of the retired characters. She alone is worth watching the whole series.

Primeval: Another Brit show that just wrapped up its first season on BBC America. Good SF romp. Probably turn up on SciFi Channel eventually as well.

The IT Crowd: Britcom revolving around a corporate IT department. Just started its first season but doesn't appear to have any easy availability in the US. Likely to turn up on BBC America someday.

Coupling is what Friends should've been. That show is Wayyyyyyyyyyy better in every way (At least if you want to watch people with intelligents and not 30 yr olds that still act as if they are in High school...).

I still don't get why American's can't stomach British humor when if fact they're humor is way better than ours in the first place...

bread's done
Back