Need suggestion on games for 3DO - Sega CD - Saturn

coryhdollar

CAG Newbie
What are the best games to pick up for the 3DO, Sega CD, Saturn, & Genesis (lesser known titles). I prefer survival/horror games and will play anything except turn based RPGs. Thanks in advance.

I used to have a 3DO. The top survival horror games on 3DO are Alone in the Dark 1 and 2. Unfortunately, they are nowhere as good as Resident Evil 1, 2, & 3 on Playstation. The game engine is incredibly slow and characters are based on a very small number of polygons. The game is unplayable at certain points and if you are like me, you will soon give up due to the frustration of the game engine. However, there are a few notable 3DO games that fall outside of the survival horror genre:

Shockwave
Shockwave 2
Shockwave: Operation Jumpgate (add-on)
Gex
Starblade
Road Rash
The Need for Speed
Super Street Fighter 2
The Horde
D
Myst

Although these were good games, there were SO MANY games on 3DO that really sucked!

I already purchased D (directors cut), one of my all time favorite games on the Saturn/PS1. I will try to pick up the rest of the games next week. Thank You

If you liked D, you should give Lunacy (Saturn) and the Mansion of the Hidden Souls games (Sega CD and Saturn) a try. I haven't actually played them, but I hear they're similar.

I luv me Sega CD so here's my contribution:

Popful Mail
Spiderman vs the Kingpin
Lords of Thunder
Hook

Flashback (best version)
Final Fight (again best version)

The following games stuck out to me on the 3DO, and with no copyright protection you can burn an ISO of the games you want to try and pick them up later.

-Killing Time
-Captain Quazar
-Another World
-Star Controll II

Saturn:
I wouldn't say (other than Astal) these are lesser known, and aren't survival horror, but these were my faves back in the day:

Astal (great 2D game most people don't know)
Legend of Oasis (only played briefly at my friend's house back in the day, but I remember really enjoying it)
Nights into Dreams (if you have the 3D controller)
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II
Panzer Dragoon Saga (haha, good luck finding an affordable copy. I've never personally played it either, just heard it was good)
Sonic R (I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I really enjoyed it at the time. Haven't played it in ages, and most people hated it, so...)

I'd also recommend any Capcom 2D fighting game (Xmen Children of the Atom, Nightwarriors, Marvel Super Heroes, Street Fighter Alpha etc) if you like those, as they are near-arcade perfect ports (unlike the nerfed PSX ports)

That's kind of it... hehe. My memory of loving my Saturn and it's games is clearly clowded (Space Jam! Jurassic Park! Dragonheart!... wtf was wrong with my young gamer self haha)

Panzer Dragoon Saga was amazing. But the English version is very expensive. I used to own a Japanese Saturn so I played the Japanese version and only paid $15 for it. It's a good alternative. I read that Sega lost the source code for the game so there's never going to be a release on another system. It's a real shame.

Resident Evil
Gex
Corpse Killer
D
Myst
Virtua Fighter
Road Rash

I'd have to pull out my 3DO collection to name more. Unfortunately, it's hidden right now.

[quote name='dragoon99']Panzer Dragoon Saga was amazing. But the English version is very expensive. I used to own a Japanese Saturn so I played the Japanese version and only paid $15 for it. It's a good alternative. I read that Sega lost the source code for the game so there's never going to be a release on another system. It's a real shame.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why this myth has perpetrated so strongly. Source code doesn't do you much good once you are a couple of generations removed from the original game's console. Heck, when Metal Gear Solid was redone for the Gamecube no source code was involved. If someone wanted to remake Panzer Dragoon Saga for a modern console they would just do it from scratch. Think of all the time and money that goes into just coming up with concept art, plot lines and character creation in a modern game. All that is already done for PDS. Someone just needs to get off their backside and do it.

[quote name='Metroid64']I don't know why this myth has perpetrated so strongly. Source code doesn't do you much good once you are a couple of generations removed from the original game's console. Heck, when Metal Gear Solid was redone for the Gamecube no source code was involved. If someone wanted to remake Panzer Dragoon Saga for a modern console they would just do it from scratch. Think of all the time and money that goes into just coming up with concept art, plot lines and character creation in a modern game. All that is already done for PDS. Someone just needs to get off their backside and do it.[/QUOTE]

I always figured it had more to do with dealing with a PSN/XBL release of the game.

I don't think Sega would risk the millions of dollars necessary to completely remake the game and have it compete against modern, top-tier RPGs from Square and the like but a rerelease with cleaner visuals on the console DD services would be less risky.

For the Saturn-Nights, Dragonforce and Shining Force. For Sega CD-Sonic CD was amazing. Don't really have any 3DO recommendations (maybe The Horde? It was good for the time, but it probably hasn't aged well).

Saturn -- all the arcade racers, like Daytona and Sega Rally, VF2, Marvel Capcom, and some of the Japan releases like Radiant Silvergun.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Saturn:
I wouldn't say (other than Astal) these are lesser known, and aren't survival horror, but these were my faves back in the day:

Astal (great 2D game most people don't know)
Legend of Oasis (only played briefly at my friend's house back in the day, but I remember really enjoying it)
Nights into Dreams (if you have the 3D controller)
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II
Panzer Dragoon Saga (haha, good luck finding an affordable copy. I've never personally played it either, just heard it was good)
Sonic R (I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I really enjoyed it at the time. Haven't played it in ages, and most people hated it, so...)

I'd also recommend any Capcom 2D fighting game (Xmen Children of the Atom, Nightwarriors, Marvel Super Heroes, Street Fighter Alpha etc) if you like those, as they are near-arcade perfect ports (unlike the nerfed PSX ports)

That's kind of it... hehe. My memory of loving my Saturn and it's games is clearly clowded (Space Jam! Jurassic Park! Dragonheart!... wtf was wrong with my young gamer self haha)[/QUOTE]

I will echo most of what was said here at the beginning of the list though I haven't played the second "Panzer Dragoon".
For fighting games definitely especially Vampire Savior and all the VS. games which are arcade perfect, especially X-Men Vs. Street Fighter.
I'm a big "Burning Rangers" fan as well which is a definite recommendation and play it with the Nights pad as the Sega people made it clear it plays with it.
Get "Mega Man 8" on the Saturn as well as it's the definitive version of "Mega Man 8" even now since Capcom were too lazy to port that version over to the Mega Man collection.
Games that are overrated: "Akumajo Dracula X". I own this and while I do enjoy it the slowdown at times is just plain crippling due to it being a shoddy port. It is WAY overpriced on eBay.
I would suggest the D&D Collection as well unless the arcade versions of both are cheaper.

Lastly for Survival Horror you may want to pick up "Deep Fear" for the Saturn. It's an import but is in English anyway. Oh and I see no one has suggested "Enemy Zero". This game is by Kenji Eno as well. Since you said you liked "D".

I've played "Lunacy" and definitely recommend it. I might argue the story is much better then "Myst". I have a sneaking suspicion that the same story director or writer is behind "Shadow Of Destiny" as well. Unfortunately I can't find the credits list for "Lunacy" to confirm this or not. They may be behind "Folklore" as well.

[quote name='Sarang01']
I've played "Lunacy" and definitely recommend it. I might argue the story is much better then "Myst". I have a sneaking suspicion that the same story director or writer is behind "Shadow Of Destiny" as well. Unfortunately I can't find the credits list for "Lunacy" to confirm this or not. They may be behind "Folklore" as well.[/QUOTE]

Lunacy was the first game I remember that had good voice acting. It was weird-creepy too.

On saturn my favorites are nights into dreams and sega rally. Guardian Heroes is pretty good but i kinda wish i bought Dragon Force instead. I also like panzer dragoon 2 but none of my friends did.

bread's done
Back