Need surround sound recommendation

whataboutbob?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Well im finally getting my man room going this week and I need a surround sound recommendation. The room is probably 16'x18' so its a decent size. I need a receiver w/ 3 HDMI inputs so i can use connect 360, PS3 and cable via HDMI.

I was looking at the Bose Lifestyle V20 http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ems/component_systems/lifestyle_v20/index.jsp. I like the style and its hard to ever beat the Bose quality but it only has 2 HDMI inputs.

Im not terribly familiar w/ most mid to high level audio components since ive never dropped this kind of cash on em before so any recommendations would be helpful.

oh btw - how would i make "Bose Lifestyle V20" be the link instead of having to paste the link after it?

I have never personally owned a Bose product, but the general consensus among people who are knowledgeable about audio systems is that Bose products are overpriced for what they deliver. They're not outright bad persay (although some think so), it's just that for the audio quality you're receiving you can find a similar performing set for substantially less money. Some of this hatred is irrational audiophile snobbery but in my opinion there is truth to the fact that Bose products are sold at a decent premium in terms of price-performance value.

Other brands like Onkoyo, or Denon will probably have setups that sound similar to the Bose systems and cost less. Design/styling is a factor but just be aware of what your'e getting into. Many people will tell you that it is quite easy to beat the Bose quality, even without spending more money.

Ruahrc

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose.

Seriously OP. You can do better elsewhere for a much better price. I wouldn't touch Bose.

Personally I run B&W (Bowers and Wilkins). There is a LOT of truth to what people say about Bose.

Receiver wise, I'm partial to Denon myself. I have a Denon 3808 that does everything I could ever ask of it.

I tend to think of Bose in the same light as Monster cables. Both are name brand products that have a highly-perceived reputation, but dont perform any better than lower priced well-known brands. You basically pay for the name. Ruahrc has it right with recommending Onkyo, Denon, Harmon Kardon, etc for your components. Just as good quality sound and features as Bose for half the price. (well it depends on the model you get of each brand.)

[quote name='mtxbass1']No highs? No lows? Must be Bose.

Seriously OP. You can do better elsewhere for a much better price. I wouldn't touch Bose.

Personally I run B&W (Bowers and Wilkins). There is a LOT of truth to what people say about Bose.

Receiver wise, I'm partial to Denon myself. I have a Denon 3808 that does everything I could ever ask of it.[/QUOTE]

While I don't have anything near that level, I agree with pretty much everything with this post.

My uncle's HT has a B&W 5.1 set up running off of a Marantz receiver... it's truly amazing. I have also heard a Bose Lifestyle V18 set up at the same house (which was in the threater room but removed due to the B&W/Marantz set up) and it was no where near the same quality. I don't know how much he spent on either set up, but he did say it was about the same.

I would go so far as to say my budget $400 set up could probably rival the V18 (well, probably not...).

I would say definitely go with Onkyo. You can go to shoponkyo.com and keep an eye on that because they have some good deals that change often and you can get a pretty good price on a refurb if you are interested in saving some money. I bought a refurb HTIB from them about 3 or 4 years ago and I love it. It still works great too! Denon is also a brand I've heard really good things about but I've never had personal experience with.

Without a doubt either Paradigm or Def Tech would be excellent choices. You could probably get away with an onkyo receiver (either TX-sr607 or TX-sr707) which would do an excellent job and cost you less. They (ONKYO) are widely considered 'best bang for the buck' and have separate zone 2 outputs. Stay as far away from BOSE as possible. As many here will tell you their reputation is all marketing hype and they are built with inferioir materials and give very sub-par sound with much of the audible frequencies just plain missing from their speakers at exorbitant prices for what you get.

So, without a doubt it seems that Bose isnt the best bang for your buck. If I'm looking for a system of the Bose V20 similar quality, what should I be willing to pay for it? Around $1000?

What about this Pioneer receiver http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receiver...6_7-33496205.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody Anybody know about it?

Also, 7.1 or 5.1? Is 7.1 really a noticeable difference?

Pretty much what im looking for is a system that can handle a mid-large size room, connect all of my components via HDMI, and have iPhone connectivity

[quote name='whataboutbob?']So, without a doubt it seems that Bose isnt the best bang for your buck. If I'm looking for a system of the Bose V20 similar quality, what should I be willing to pay for it? Around $1000?

What about this Pioneer receiver http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receiver...6_7-33496205.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody Anybody know about it?

Also, 7.1 or 5.1? Is 7.1 really a noticeable difference?

Pretty much what im looking for is a system that can handle a mid-large size room, connect all of my components via HDMI, and have iPhone connectivity[/QUOTE]

At a quick glance, I see nothing wrong with that Pioneer. It's rather feature packed for the price. I'm still partial to Denon myself, but you're looking at a lot more money. I'd go for it if I was on a $500 budget.

RE: 5.1 vs 7.1. This will depend on your setup. Personally I run 7.1. Remember that your 6 and 7th channels will be mono sound. It's noticeable, depending on the source and the room.

What do you consider a large sized room?

[quote name='whataboutbob?']My room is about 16'x18'...maybe a little bit larger[/QUOTE]

The Pioneer is PLENTY for that. My home theater is 30x20 and I barely have to push the Denon past -28 db.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']

[/QUOTE]
Here's another review, also very positive. You could save yourself ~$100 by getting the 919 though. It's nearly identical to the 1019 but has one less HDMI input (3 instead of 4), no upscaling (you probably don't need it, and the quality is so-so anyway), and I think it lacks some iPod functionality (you can judge for yourself if that's important).

As for speakers, being an Energy owner I'm partial to that brand. If you want something unobtrusive like the Bose system you should check out the Take speakers. They're affordable and offer much better sound quality.

I have had the Onkyo HT-S9100THX 7.1 system for a few months, and I really enjoy it. Darn good reviews up and down on it.

I'm very happy with my Onkyo 707, Fluance AV-HTB, and ASW-8 from The Speaker Company. It's seems like you are on a much higher budget than my $650 set up though.

bread's done
Back