Need to RED RING a 360, open to ALL ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellgreco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Yup, I need to red ring two 360's.

I am looking forward to jokes flying, I'm sure there are a million...

I am also looking forward to some smart ideas.

Oh, and only one rule. The Exterior cannot be damaged (aka cannot be opened or scarred).

[quote name='Moxio']You've got to be kidding me.

What, do you have old 360's and you want to RROD to get them upgraded?[/QUOTE]

Nailed it on the head. The drives are messed up on them (we got them for free from people where I work). I figure if I can't come up with a way to red ring them I will just replace the lasers in the drives.

try the towel trick [ ie over heat it ].

my xbox has a bum disc drive [ will not open if no disc is present ]. i will try to RROD my xbox when i get bored of rock band... which will probably be a while.

Is it really that bad of a thing? I would think launching a console that from most engineering perspectives has far more defective units than is acceptable a bad thing.

Plus I wanted to see if anyone had any bright ideas. I already checked google and found a few tests to try.

[quote name='RonnieWrecked']try the towel trick [ ie over heat it ].

my xbox has a bum disc drive [ will not open if no disc is present ]. i will try to RROD my xbox when i get bored of rock band... which will probably be a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was gonna try that see if I could loosen up some soldering points. Ill post if I can get it to work (since you may end up doing the same).

I remember the last time someone needed to do this. Only that time, it was because the guy's 360 had some other problem that wasn't covered under warranty. So he needed to red ring his 360 to get MS to send him a replacement.

But it sound to me like you just haven't thought this through yet.

just call them and say you got the red rings, I did the same thing when my drive was going bad. It'll just get replaced with another console.

I kinda hope my 360 gets the red rings again. About a month after I got it back from repair for the red ring it started to act weird.

The disc tray will get caught up on something and won't open on its own but the second you touch it it'll open. It locks/freezes up in the main menu quite often and Halo's developed the bad habit of asking where to save the game in the middle of an online match.

Prior to the red rings I never had a problem with my 360. Now since it's been "repaired" it's been awful. I should have called Microsoft back right away to complain but I figure now it's a little too late. I'm just waiting for it to get the rings again to send it back and this time demand a true replacement.

[quote name='Rocko']Sit it on the carpet, let it run, maybe cover it up with some sort of insulation?[/quote]

yes. and also, set the house on fire.

[quote name='Beana Blasta']bukkake it[/quote]

MILF version
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2D4pHftbQ[/media]

He-man Version
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SI8vNAGerI&feature=related[/media]

haha love the light the house on fire comment. Yeah this is pretty much what I am arriving at... although the hair drying and turning off and on over and over seem pretty good. hehe.

Steal an Xbox 360 Kiosk booth from GameStop (kick the magazine rack and throw glitter while you're at it), shove your 360 in there, wait a few minutes.

Done.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Try shooting yourself.[/quote]
such intelligent posts from a "science CAG" I'm sure you've proven smarts well with posts like this one. [/sarcasm]

[quote name='SL4IN']such intelligent posts from a "science CAG" I'm sure you've proven smarts well with posts like this one. [/sarcasm][/QUOTE]

:applause:

Just call, tell 'em it's got an E74 screen and doesnt even boot up to the spash screen. You'll have your box in 3-ish days.

[quote name='SL4IN']such intelligent posts from a "science CAG" I'm sure you've proven smarts well with posts like this one. [/sarcasm][/QUOTE]
:rofl:

And look, their's your buddy ITDEFX riding up behind you!

What a fuckin' joke.

[quote name='HotShotX']Microwave?

~HotShotX[/quote]

I forgot to comment on this. That is a really interesting (great) idea. I am going to do some research on that concept. I'm just trying to figure out how much microwaves would directly effect capacitors on the 360's mainboard. That might do the trick though.

[quote name='russellgreco']I forgot to comment on this. That is a really interesting (great) idea. I am going to do some research on that concept. I'm just trying to figure out how much microwaves would directly effect capacitors on the 360's mainboard. That might do the trick though.[/quote]

With all the metal in a 360 it's going to be pretty obvious what happened when they open it up.

You could try manually stopping the exause fans in the back or cover all the vents with tape, cutting down air circulation to the unit should do the trick.

I have the same issue. I am in Iraq and my drive is gone. I have already sent it in once for repair. Came back functional but the damn power button is so hard to turn on that it is now useless to use. The game always comes up as a dvd and then gives an error to enter an xbox 360 disc into the drive. Tray always gets stuck until you hit it right above it, not to mention when I do get it to work I scratches the shit out of my games. Shall I continue? But XBL arcade games work fine. I have the extended warranty but for me to send it in now would only have it arrive back here after I have left for home.

Solution: Bought a new Arcade version console 2 days ago and am now back up and running. Now I just need to wait to I get home.

[quote name='memsg']just call them and say you got the red rings, I did the same thing when my drive was going bad. It'll just get replaced with another console.[/quote]

I can confirm this works too. They don't really ask questions when you send it in for repairs. If you want the rings though just leave it on 24 hours a day in a very confined space with no ventilation. You will get them eventually.

[quote name='javeryh']I can confirm this works too. They don't really ask questions when you send it in for repairs. If you want the rings though just leave it on 24 hours a day in a very confined space with no ventilation. You will get them eventually.[/quote]

They don't test them when they get sent in for repairs?

put them inside the oven maybe. cover the fan grills with cardboard box and tape it using regular tape (dont use duct tape cause of the adhesive residue it leaves behind) and leave it on for a long time. the 360 will get pretty hot.the 360 towel trick by cheapy might work to red ring it. i dunno.

[quote name='shieryda']They don't test them when they get sent in for repairs?[/quote]

Nope, because they get so many. Maybe they check them out now, depending on the manufacture date. But if they are older (without the new heatsinks) they probably just do a swap out.

[quote name='shieryda']They don't test them when they get sent in for repairs?[/quote]

I don't know what they do but I made sure to ask the CSR what happened if they got my system, turned it on and didn't get the red rings (mine was acting spotty and the time - I'd get the rings after playing for an hour or so but a reboot fixed it for the most part) and she told me that they would just replace it once it came in. So I sent it in and they replaced it.

[quote name='phear3d']put them inside the oven maybe. ... and leave it on for a long time. the 360 will get pretty hot.[/quote]

And your 360 might smell like some kinda meat or baked goods, to boot! :cool: :D

[quote name='Liquid 2']:rofl:

And look, their's your buddy ITDEFX riding up behind you!

What a fuckin' joke.[/quote]

ah. Improper grammar, aggravation and deviation from the response to your post. Just what is expected when nothing intelligent is to be said

[quote name='SL4IN']Improper grammar[/quote]

[quote name='SL4IN']such intelligent posts from a "science CAG" I'm sure you've proven smarts well with posts like this one. [/sarcasm][/quote]

Uh...

[quote name='SL4IN']ah. Improper grammar, aggravation and deviation from the response to your post. Just what is expected when nothing intelligent is to be said[/QUOTE]
The ironing is delicious.

[quote name='Liquid 2']The ironing is delicious.[/QUOTE]

I'm on your side for whatever dick-waving prickfight you're in, Liquid - but can we have a moratorium on this phrase?

[quote name='Liquid 2']If you wish.[/quote]

I don't understand... you are a science nerd on a gaming website. Isn't the vast majority here good at Math and Science? Also, why do you call yourself a Science CAG? All I have ever seen you have in your signature is Physics formulas...

Also, I was in the same boat as javeryh, and I got my 360 back repaired. All you have to say is, "I have these three red rings, what does it mean?" and wha-lah! They will repair it.

Also SL4IN, please shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back