Need to swap PS3s

cshamilton

CAG Veteran
Please help!

I have a 40gb phat ps3, that I recently upgraded to a 300gb HD. Now, it has the infamous corrupt data issue, and I cannot connect to any new games online. This is simply not acceptable. I still have the 40gb hd.

I have decided that a new, quieter slim might be the solution. I have:

$50 Amazon credit
$10 BB credit
300gb phat ps3
original 40gb hd.

I'm guessing my best bet is to eBay the phat one and wait on an amazon deal? When do you think another ps3 deal is coming? I missed the 199!!!!

obviously nothing like that again, but I did expect something today, and was sadly disappointed.

Should I sell the ps3 with the 300gb hard drive, knowing it wont connect to any new games online, give them the 40gb hd? Revert to stock and sell for the oh-so-weak $120 that I'll get?

Help me spend the least amount and get a slim

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't sell the broken online one unless you MAKE IT VERY CLEAR in the description that the online does not work. If you don't, thats naughty, and very shady.

I agree. That's not at all what I'm trying to do. I have tried it with the original 40gb back in it, and I installed MW2 that I just purchased and it connected online no problem. There is just a problem with installing new game updates on the 300gb WD that's in it now. I've seen them consistently sell for around $110-140 on ebay as a 40gb launch model (reverting the HD) depending on what you include.

Does anyone have any kind of insight on patterns of when and what triggers these "buy a ps3 160 at $299 and get a $50-$60 gift card" sales Amazon has? obviously just missed a big one, but wondering how long to I'm waiting here...

There is no such thing as a launch 40gb. The launch ones were 20 and 60. 40 and 80 were later, and do not have hardware emulation.

[quote name='mietha']There is no such thing as a launch 40gb. The launch ones were 20 and 60. 40 and 80 were later, and do not have hardware emulation.[/QUOTE]

true.

guess I meant fat or phat. Sorry about that...

Have you tried doing the 'restore file system' option from the PS3's safe mode menu to try and fix the corrupted file error? That may alleviate your problem altogether.:D

Here's how to get to the PS3's safe mode menu:

Hold down the power/reset button on the PS3(touch sensitive on the phat PS3's, of course) and continue to do so until you hear one beep followed by two beeps very quickly.

Then let go of the button, plug in the controller via the mini USB cable and choose 'restore file system' once the list of options in the safe mode menu comes up. It's basically like a defrag program for your PS3's hdd.

Just back up anything you may not want to lose onto either an external HDD or a flash drive BEFORE doing this, as the system will just delete any corrupted files without asking if you want to try and save them first.

Usually when trying to get into the PS3 safe mode menu you may have to hold the button a couple of times, since it may just shut the system down the first time.

Hope this helps....

bread's done
Back