Needing a cheap HDD...

WhipSmartBanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Rebuilding one of these and I need a new hard drive for it. Not really worried about capacity, just lowest price and highest reliability for the OS. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Already have a GeForce GT 520 2GB graphics card ready to go for it and the RAM is maxed out.

Thanks! :D

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Don't listen to everything your Mom says.[/QUOTE]

Burn!

I assume you're looking for a SATA drive, not the older IDE (PATA)? And how big?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Rebuilding one of these and I need a new hard drive for it. Not really worried about capacity, just lowest price and highest reliability for the OS. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Already have a GeForce GT 520 2GB graphics card ready to go for it and the RAM is maxed out.

Thanks! :D[/QUOTE]
I always had luck with Segate but Western Digital drives I hear are pretty good too. Finding a Hard Drive for cheap is going to be a problem. After the flooding in Taiwan, those fuckers raised HD prices and they are still ridiculous.

I would check newegg, amazon, tiger direct. It really doesn't matter where you buy the HD, any Segate or WD will do as long as it's SATA (any drive in the past 5-7 years should be). 7200 RPM's for the drive's speed is preferred though. I can't really say what places have the best prices because since the flooding, HD prices have been pretty expensive everywhere and it's hard to find a good deal anymore.

[quote name='red flare graf']Burn!

I assume you're looking for a SATA drive, not the older IDE (PATA)? And how big?[/QUOTE]

Indeed. SATA, 3.5", preferably 7200RPM - not really concerned about capacity at this point, mainly want to get the OS and programs up and running. It originally came with 640GB but I think a 250GB would be sufficient. I could always add a secondary drive or externals later.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I always had luck with Segate but Western Digital drives I hear are pretty good too. Finding a Hard Drive for cheap is going to be a problem. After the flooding in Taiwan, those fuckers raised HD prices and they are still ridiculous.

I would check newegg, amazon, tiger direct. It really doesn't matter where you buy the HD, any Segate or WD will do as long as it's SATA (any drive in the past 5-7 years should be). 7200 RPM's for the drive's speed is preferred though. I can't really say what places have the best prices because since the flooding, HD prices have been pretty expensive everywhere and it's hard to find a good deal anymore.[/QUOTE]

Amazon tends to run a little high. I found a WD 250GB for around $60 a few weeks ago on Newegg, but I passed at the time. I didn't know about the price hike due to the Taiwan flooding, so thanks for that heads up. Didn't try Tiger Direct, so I may look into that tonight.

Thanks! :D

I wouldn't recommend Samsung atm since their HDDs have been taken over by Seagate. The Spinpoints are just rebranded Seagate drives. Not knocking Seagate (though personally, not fond of their stuff).

I just spent 150 on a 3 tb sergate hd for some video storage (no not pron, actually i love using my pvr a lot). i got it of course for capacity, if you just want a dirt cheap hd, probably can look around ebay. :)

bread's done
Back