*Needs a router* Help me acheive it

.JPG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Ok, I've figured out some basic's about routers and now I just need to get one. Ignore the below post, and if possible, I'm looking for a cheap wireless router, so if you have one, I'd be willing to look and possibly purchase it from you. Also if you don't have one, if you know of a place (website) to get a cheap one, please post a link to it. I'm going to need one pretty soon, and the faster the better!

------------------

I've been looking for a router, and was able to find this Linksys Wireless 802.11B Cable/DSL Router (BEFW11S4):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005ARK3/102-5571349-1140132?v=glance&n=172282&v=glance

I'm looking to set up a network in my home, and also use it for the Nintendo DS Online service. I already checked and it is compatible with the service for the Nintendo DS, but I'm wondering is this a good router to set up 2 computers?

What I don't know is will I be able to connect it wired or wirelessly? Also I know some people say if it's 802.11G it's better than B, what difference is any of that?

I know some of you should be able to help me obviously seeing I do not know much about routers.

Step away from that link. $50 for a B router is insane. MY G router was $20 AR. It's a D-Link DI-524 and BB or CC commonly have it for the price I paid. The main difference between G & B is max speed. B is 11Mbps and G is 54Mbps. However your braodband isn't (likely) gonna be near as fast as either anyway.

[quote name='klwillis45']Step away from that link. $50 for a B router is insane. MY G router was $20 AR. It's a D-Link DI-524 and BB or CC commonly have it for the price I paid. The main difference between G & B is max speed. B is 11Mbps and G is 54Mbps. However your braodband isn't (likely) gonna be near as fast as either anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, no I wouldn't be buying it from Amazon. I found one for $25.99, no rebates, free ground shipping and it looks like a pretty decent router for that price. And I use DSL, so no my connection doesn't get near that. Would you think this is a decent price?

[quote name='klwillis45']Step away from that link. $50 for a B router is insane. MY G router was $20 AR. It's a D-Link DI-524 and BB or CC commonly have it for the price I paid. The main difference between G & B is max speed. B is 11Mbps and G is 54Mbps. However your braodband isn't (likely) gonna be near as fast as either anyway.[/QUOTE]

Step away from that D-Link.....THEY SUCK.

Always go Linksys....Best Buy usualy has them for $30-40

Like they always say, you get what you pay for.....

I beg to differ. My d-link has been rock solid from day 1. For $20 it was a fuckin steal. Linksys is good too though.

I have the 802.11B wireless router from Linksys that you mention -- it's always been pretty good to me, I've had it for about 2.5 years now... at a much higher cost. You can get it for dirt cheap now.

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']I have the 802.11B wireless router from Linksys that you mention -- it's always been pretty good to me, I've had it for about 2.5 years now... at a much higher cost. You can get it for dirt cheap now.[/QUOTE]

Is is pretty realiable and compatible with a lot of things?

Linksys is good, I prefer D-Link. They are about equal in quality.

I wouldn't get an 802.11b router at this point, as 802.11g is newer. They are both cross-compatible, though.

I highly recommend a D-Link DI-524, you can find it on newegg.com for like $20 AR. It hasn't choked a moment for me, and it's using all 4 of its wired ports and 3 wireless laptops (macs at that ;) ).

I have a wireless G Belkin router, and it's great. I would not recommend you get a B router. They work fine, but G is much better and not much more expensive. G's have greater range and better speeds.

[quote name='iheartmetal']for 50 bucks you can get a linksys wrt54g, it works great for me and its fully compatible with the ds[/QUOTE]

I would prefer to spend less on one being that I won't be using it too much until I get another computer. But I have a lot of Best Buy Bucks left over, so if I can't find one cheap, I can always pay their WAY over-priced routers :)

But if any CAG's have an extra router to sell, please feel free to offer

[quote name='btw1217']I have a wireless G Belkin router, and it's great. I would not recommend you get a B router. They work fine, but G is much better and not much more expensive. G's have greater range and better speeds.[/QUOTE]

And yes, I now will be planning to get a G router.

[quote name='Dijital']I found this one, maybe this'll help:
However there is $20 rebate involved, and IMO netgear is quality!!
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=302517&pfp=cat3&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=%2AFatWallet%2ECom%2A&cm_pla=General&cm_ite=Primary&ref=performics[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking it out, but it's still $50 already, which is still WAY high for what I'll be using it for. If it was $30 with a rebate or maybe even without I might jump at it, but $50's too high.

Well after a lot of deciding, I went with the D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router which I will be trying out in a few days. Thanks for all your help CAGs!

bread's done
Back