Neil Young announces new album...and it's already finished

[quote name='DJ K8E']Are you taunting someone that's technically not there? If so, you're one step away from talking to yourself. Which, I'm sure you do, just to hear yourself talk, eh?[/QUOTE]

Shut the fuck up and kill yourself.

79c73a9f.jpg

[quote name='JSweeney']Is there a reason for the bile, or are you just overreacting?[/QUOTE]

There is a reason... K8E is a troll and is getting called on it.

I never thought I would see the words overproduced sellout when describing Neil Young. Shame on you.

And damnit myke, K8E is a musician, she plays the cow bell!

[quote name='evanft']Shut the fuck up and kill yourself.

79c73a9f.jpg
[/QUOTE]

cobcorn2.jpg

[quote name='DJ K8E']You think I would? You think I'd actually give you something that you're not going to like, no matter what? You've already made up your mind about it, so there's no use in you hearing it.[/quote]

Just because I'm an asshole who approached your music with the belief that "Prussian Blue" are probably vastly superior to you, that doesn't mean that I'd dog on good music when I hear it.

For the record, here's a short little idea of why I don't like Neil Young. He used to be something, but lately he has turned away from his past, his one man show of the old days

Y'mean the one man shows with Crosby, Stills, and Nash?

and become this over produced sellout

Entertain me, and provide me an example (one song, or one album perhaps - maybe even his new one?) of where this is the case. I'm honestly not even a fan of much of his music, but I respect his ability as a musician, and more importantly, the influence he has had on later artists and the legacy that he already has, though he's still alive and working (see also Petty, Tom). However, "overproduced" is not a word I'd associate with him. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Also, I'm no fool, so no trying to tell me he sang "Believe" - I know that was Cher, dammit.

who doesn't seem to remember the music he used to make in any way shape or form, he replaces the rawness found in his old music with unnecessary instruments and such.

There's not much there to contend, I suppose. Next point.

He's out of ideas

Go back to the OP. Now.

and he's no longer relevant

Now that's just tripe. That's like telling me that John Lennon's no longer relevant, or Kurt Cobain, or any other non active musician, is no longer relevant. I don't think that's a claim you can make. Are they creating newly influential music? No, not at the moment (though Neil Young may be up in the air, seeing as how he's alive). But to say that they're no longer relevant is both false and absurd.

he needs to just stop making music, and leave his legacy only mildly tarnished.

You may have a point there. However, let the scorecard show only two genuine points of contention that resemble a musical criticism: (1) Neil Young is overproduced, and (2) he uses "unnecessary instruments." The remainder of your points were thinly-veiled attacks on his character. You get a B- for effort, however, so your grades are going up. Kudos.

Of course I'm not saying I enjoy him, but I respect him somewhatly. As much as I can respect someone that writes the exact same three songs, over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

So, in the same post, you're accusing him of recycling the same song over and over, yet he doesn't remember the music he used to make? Which is it, Sister Christian?

So it's okay for you to make criticisms about Butch Walker that have absolutely nothing to do with his musical talent, but not okay for me to do the exact same thing, to Neil Young? Talk about a double-fucking standard. You haven't said a single thing about why Butch is bad musically, you've danced all around that issue, and attacked his looks, who he has worked with, what they sound like, and everything else except his talent.

I offered my exact reasons on why I don't like Neil Young.

For the record he was doing things with Crosby, Stills, and Nash, but that's not what I'm talking about, I was speaking of his solo work. Like "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", or "After the Gold Rush", even his tour "Journey To The Past" back in '71, etc.

Also, if you're insinutating that Prairie Wind was not an overproduced, too slickified, and absolutely nothing like Neil Young is supposed to be, album. You need to get your head out of your ass and listen to it, apparently, in the first place. The lyrics sound like something a 4th grader would write for English class. He's no longer singing songs (with his ridiculous cat-caught-in-a-door voice) that scream, "this is real". He doesn't have anything to say anymore, and he's getting overproduced all to hell like Jeff Lynn did to George Harrisons music. Not only that but the whole entire album, still talking about Prairie Wind, mind you, seems contrary to everything Neil has ever said about music in the first place. There's not one redeeming song in the batch, not a riff worth learning, or a melody worth humming. Period.

As for him not being relevant, I stand beside that. He isn't exactly not relevant overall (though damn close), but he's no longer making relevant music, and just needs to stop.

Of course I don't know why I'm surprised you deconstructed my reasons at all and probably will these as well. I knew that no amalgam of words, no matter how eloquent, or well thought out, would shut you the fuck up, because you're a hyper critical pompous bastard who does nothing but talk down to everyone for liking anything other than what you exactly like. So go ahead, reply to this, I know you're going to. Just know, that I do not give a flying fuck any more. I've shown why I don't like Neil Young, more than I should have had to, and that's it. You're not getting another word out of me about this matter, you fucking stubborn-ass bully.

Also... [quote name='mykevermin']Just because I'm an asshole who approached your music with the belief that "Prussian Blue" are probably vastly superior to you, that doesn't mean that I'd dog on good music when I hear it.[/QUOTE]

You can, and you would, deconstruct every last detail about it and criticize it for not being as perfect as those who have been working musically for many years, don't lie, I know your type. The one song, read again, one, I have isn't even fully done yet. I don't work at my music career day in and day out, I have other things to do, I have college I have to get good grades in, a job, and when I'm not doing that I'm going on a date or two, but when I'm not doing any of that, then I work on the music, what little I can, considering that the other half of the group is quite a ways away and thus it isn't exactly possible that we can work together much. So, again, no, you can't hear it. Anyone else though, that is willing to listen with an open mind... just let me know.

[quote name='DJ K8E']I knew that no amalgam of words, no matter how eloquent, or well thought out, would shut you the fuck up, because you're a hyper critical pompous bastard who does nothing but talk down to everyone for liking anything other than what you exactly like.[/QUOTE]

QFT

[quote name='DJ K8E']

Also...

You can, and you would, deconstruct every last detail about it and criticize it for not being as perfect as those who have been working musically for many years, don't lie, I know your type. The one song, read again, one, I have isn't even fully done yet. I don't work at my music career day in and day out, I have other things to do, I have college I have to get good grades in, a job, and when I'm not doing that I'm going on a date or two, but when I'm not doing any of that, then I work on the music, what little I can, considering that the other half of the group is quite a ways away and thus it isn't exactly possible that we can work together much. So, again, no, you can't hear it. Anyone else though, that is willing to listen with an open mind... just let me know.[/QUOTE]

A serious musician would put her music in front of at least the "date or two."

[quote name='DJ K8E']So it's okay for you to make criticisms about Butch Walker that have absolutely nothing to do with his musical talent, but not okay for me to do the exact same thing, to Neil Young? Talk about a double-fucking standard. You haven't said a single thing about why Butch is bad musically, you've danced all around that issue, and attacked his looks, who he has worked with, what they sound like, and everything else except his talent.[/QUOTE]

How about the fact that he's derivative to a point of irrelevance? While he can perform a wider-than-typical array of conteporary singer-songwriter nonsense, any style he plays, someone already did it, did it better, and did it better three decades ago.

Some of his songs are slow and simple, kinda folky but with more heartache than James fucking Taylor - but he's not doing anything unique here. Even that jackass from "Dashboard Confessional" has a longer body of work.

Some of his songs are derivative of that Strokes-induced 2002 1970's fuzzbox rock n roll revival. Just like The Strokes, however, there are dozens of bands that played the same fucking songs 25 years or more before Butch's first album. Captain Beefheart, Roxy Music (well, some of it), Television, Wire, anything David Bowie touched - all of it clearly influential in the work Walker does. Is he a bad musician? Probably not, even if he's the one doing the arranging for Avril. Is he remarkable? Only in the sense that he's not writing jingles for tv commercials. Without criticizing his ability, he's simply expendable. If he overdosed today, there are a dozen more like him mopping the floors at "In-n-Out Burger" in Los Angeles that would kill for his spot. And easily do the exact same thing that he currently does.

There are some artists and musicians that are irreplacable. Joe Strummer, for instance. There are some, on the other hand, who are. Like Peter Shelley. Or Butch Walker.

Panama Red - Full disclosure time, boyo. What's your association with K8E? Your blind allegiance is indicative of more than a desire to stave off the ol' helpless gal from the menacing hordes of whatever-the-hell-this-metaphor-was-gonna-be. You are certainly aware that this thread *WAS* about Neil Young's album until a certain troll came in here and decided to tell me that some derivative asshole that nobody knows is superior to a man with the body of work and legacy of Neil Young, right? So, there's more to this story than you're letting on, cheerleader. 'Fess up, shecky.

[quote name='mykevermin']Entertain me, and provide me an example (one song, or one album perhaps - maybe even his new one?) of where this is the case. I'm honestly not even a fan of much of his music, but I respect his ability as a musician, and more importantly, the influence he has had on later artists and the legacy that he already has, though he's still alive and working (see also Petty, Tom). However, "overproduced" is not a word I'd associate with him. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Also, I'm no fool, so no trying to tell me he sang "Believe" - I know that was Cher, dammit. [/quote]

Trans
B000005RVK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This was the 80s techno album Neil made.
Overproduced and trying to hard to cater to the times :lol: :roll:
Hell he even got sued by Geffen for trying something new.

just joking

[quote name='Panama Red']QFT[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my ignore list, asshole.

[quote name='Apossum']Trans

just joking[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think Neil made that just to be an ass with his record company. He also recorded a rockabilly album around the same time.

The rockabilly album is actually pretty good...haven't heard trans though.

[quote name='Apossum']Trans

just joking[/QUOTE]

Oh my. I wonder if it's worse than Bad Religion's "Into the Unknown."

[quote name='Apossum']The rockabilly album is actually pretty good...haven't heard trans though.[/QUOTE]

I've heard it was pretty good, too. I nay have to check it out. :D

[quote name='niceguyshawne']A serious musician would put her music in front of at least the "date or two."[/quote]

And a niceguy would stay out of an argument he really doesn't have a place in.

It's not as if Mykevermin is getting so thrashed in the argument that he needs some random people to start throwing potshots for him.

[quote name='JSweeney']And a niceguy would stay out of an argument he really doesn't have a place in.

It's not as if Mykevermin is getting so thrashed in the argument that he needs some random people to start throwing potshots for him.[/QUOTE]

You know, this thread was going just fine until our resident "Musician of convenience" came in and started trolling about some random, punk-du-jour, Avril Lavigne collaborator being better than a rock icon, as evidenced by her "Butch Walker > Your Favorite Artist" sig. The entire topic was never about how Neil Young was better than all, we were just discussing the artist's body of work and his new album. Her comments, especially when veiled as commentary from a musician, were unwarranted and unnecessary.

Now if all of you that do not want to discuss Neil Young and his music would kindly quit posting in this thread, we can get back to the original topic and I will resume being a niceguy.

Does that help JSweeney?

[quote name='niceguyshawne']You know, this thread was going just fine until our resident "Musician of convenience" came in and started trolling about some random, punk-du-jour, Avril Lavigne collaborator being better than a rock icon, as evidenced by her "Butch Walker > Your Favorite Artist" sig. The entire topic was never about how Neil Young was better than all, we were just discussing the artist's body of work and his new album. Her comments, especially when veiled as commentary from a musician, were unwarranted and unnecessary.

Now if all of you that do not want to discuss Neil Young and his music would kindly quit posting in this thread, we can get back to the original topic and I will resume being a niceguy.

Does that help JSweeney?[/quote]

I have a feeling your call to normalcy and returning to the topic would be far more effective if it weren't dripping in bile. Yes, there have been a number of foolish things said, and most have been revealed for exactly what they were, which is the nature of these things. But throwing gas on the fire has a way of extending these things.

Reaching out.... touching me... Touchinng youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sweeeet Carrrroooooooooline!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times never seemed so goooooooooooooooood.

I'd be incl -- er, wrong topic.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Reaching out.... touching me... Touchinng youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sweeeet Carrrroooooooooline!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times never seemed so goooooooooooooooood.

I'd be incl -- er, wrong topic.[/QUOTE]

\m/NEIL DIAMOND=METAL\m/

bread's done
Back