Neo Geo Battle Coliseum: The Mugening

Chuplayer

CAGiversary!
US PS2 version.

What the fuck, SNK? What the fuck? I said to the cute cashier girl at the soon to be out of business KB Toys "for five bucks you can't go wrong." That's what I paid for this game. Five bucks. But, boy, did things go wrong. So horribly wrong.

The "arcade mode" makes no sense. It's like there are numerous survival battles within a timed survival battle of survivalness? What the fuck? Can't I just fight tag team after tag team like in other tag team fighters? Well, that's what the "tag mode" is for. Except it sucks. Why does it suck? It doesn't last long enough. You fight three or four tag teams, and then you fight the boss. It doesn't feel meaty enough. At least six fights before the boss would be much better.

fuck. This. Boss. This motherfucker (Pulled from KOF2003? I forget.) is such a pain in the ass. He has partially regenerating health. Holy shit, that is balls. It is so annoying to hit him just to have him regain his health.

Why even make it a tag team game? There's seemingly no reason for it. That's just how it is. You can't even choose single player mode. Even survival mode, traditional survival mode, is tag team.

But wait, what is this? Not even survival mode is traditional! You do, like, a bazillion damage by just farting on your opponent, but, in return, you don't get regenerating health, except for the red area, I think. Why can't this be normal?

The backgrounds are nice, but they are completely out of place. They have better (albiet simple) animation than the actual characters that are fighting! It pisses me off so much to see these backgrounds! There is nothing that belongs in the game! And sometimes characters make cameos in the backgrounds, but they have horrible or nonexistent animation! It seems like generic people have the best animations.

I don't understand the music. I don't recognize any of it. This is a fanservice game. Serve me! Give me remixes of classic SNK tunes! Give me straight-up old tunes! Just satisfy the nostalgia in me!

Is it just me or are SNK intros getting progressively worse? The intro in this game doesn't come alive like other intros have in the past. Remember KOF2000's intro? That one got me ready to play the game! Lots of movement and atmosphere. The NGBC intro has people standing around. Then at the end of the intro, there's this shot of two characters Matrix leaping. No animation for about six seconds, but then one (just one) of them has a bit of unexpected animation and blasts some Ki at the screen, or something. I swear, I almost shit myself when he did that. (I'm lying. There was no movement of my bowels. Not even a little.)

This game does do one thing right, though. The new effeminate characters are female this time. That's right, no more girly men. Now we get girly girls! Just the way I like 'em. And the newly drawn Goddess Athena, complete with bikini. Sexy!

But what the fuck are these new original characters doing in a game that's the celebration of SNK games? They don't belong in the game! Why the fuck are they taking up character slots? They're taking spots that could be filled by actual SNK characters. Like Freeman. he makes a cameo in a background. Why couldn't he be a playable character? He would fit right in! Or more characters like Marco and the alien from Metal Slug. Anything that will draw from SNK's past.

The general gameplay engine does some confusing things. SNK Shitmore crippled their own sidestep/roll maneuver even worse than Capcom did in their Capcom vs. SNK games. Not only can you only side dash in one direction, it takes some of your super meter! Why the fuck would they do this? It never took part of your super meter in KOF unless you were doing a cancel, so why does the mere act alone require super meter power? This is retarded!

The entire experience comes off as feeling as if it was a Mugen game. A bad Mugen game. A Mugen game that if it was an actual fan-made Mugen project, it wouldn't be this bad. This game is bad. This game is not worth the $5 I paid for it. fuck. This. Game. It's just going to be another worthless piece of plastic hogging space on my PS2 game shelf.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I will paypal you 6 bucks for it...[/QUOTE]

I'd rather set this game on fire. Thanks for the offer, though.

[quote name='lolwut?']You're seriously complaining after getting it for $5. I didn't think it was that bad and I paid 10.[/quote]

I paid 15. I didn't think it was terrible.

bread's done
Back