NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition New $147.99 Shipped at Cowboom

How are these? I remember all this excitement pre-release but then it fizzled out. Anybody get one that didn't like it?

A lot of people got them and didn't like it. I love mine, but I think I'm in the minority.

The complaints are that the emulation it uses isn't as good as it could be, that it feels cheap and isn't as nice as the real deal, that the screen of the portable system isn't as nice as what is available on other portable systems, that there is no way to get out of 16:9 mode when playing on TV, the AV output is subpar (but the HDMI is passable), that there are occasional graphics hiccups related to the emulation, it restricts you from unlimited continues, has no way to save high scores, and they have still not announced future title releases beyond a "we promise they are coming". (Did that cover just about everything?)

Having said all that, I pick up mine every couple of days and play it for half an hour to an hour. The build quality and emulation are better than the previous experience I had with my Genesis clones. I thought I'd only use it on the big screen, but I end up using it as a handheld frequently. I love the feel of the replica controller and the control pad on the portable. I loved most of these games back in the day and for whatever reason hadn't bought any of them on PSN or the Wii VC, so it was great to get a bunch of them bundled together on this piece of hardware.

If they don't announce any more games for it and don't come through with the promised firmware updates I'll definitely be disappointed, but overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

[quote name='Kaiser499']These are also being discontinued now.[/QUOTE]

Really? They just came out and they are already killing it.

[quote name='Kaiser499']These are also being discontinued now.[/QUOTE]

Just the Limited Edition version with the pack-in is being discontinued, they aren't folding the entire system.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-24-neogeo-x-is-not-being-discontinued-only-the-limited-edition-with-ninja-masters-is

Well they should've made sure the emulation was tight before they released it. FFS, forced 16:9 output on the screen?! cringes. OAR all the way!!!! Also, how expensive would it honestly have been for these cheapskates to put in money on an OLED screen for this portable. If the Wiz can do it why can't they?

[quote name='stubadub']A lot of people got them and didn't like it. I love mine, but I think I'm in the minority.

The complaints are that the emulation it uses isn't as good as it could be, that it feels cheap and isn't as nice as the real deal, that the screen of the portable system isn't as nice as what is available on other portable systems, that there is no way to get out of 16:9 mode when playing on TV, the AV output is subpar (but the HDMI is passable), that there are occasional graphics hiccups related to the emulation, it restricts you from unlimited continues, has no way to save high scores, and they have still not announced future title releases beyond a "we promise they are coming". (Did that cover just about everything?)

Having said all that, I pick up mine every couple of days and play it for half an hour to an hour. The build quality and emulation are better than the previous experience I had with my Genesis clones. I thought I'd only use it on the big screen, but I end up using it as a handheld frequently. I love the feel of the replica controller and the control pad on the portable. I loved most of these games back in the day and for whatever reason hadn't bought any of them on PSN or the Wii VC, so it was great to get a bunch of them bundled together on this piece of hardware.

If they don't announce any more games for it and don't come through with the promised firmware updates I'll definitely be disappointed, but overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase.[/QUOTE]

Well stated an I agree with your summary. What I like most about the bundle is the clicky joystick on the handheld (great for these arcade style games) and the replica AES joystick. The replica joystick is USB and thus works great with the PS3 for Neo Geo Station games. Certainly the product could have been better, output to TV isn't fantastic, screen on the handheld could have been better, but overall it isn't that bad, especially for games on the handheld itself.

I do wonder what's going on with new game cards; I'd be disappointed too if no future ones were released. And it would be nice to have a fix for the emulation flaws.

Already have a bunch of Neo Geo stuff on the Wii virtual console, but Nam 1975 is not available on VC, and that was always one of my all time favorites (love Wild Guns, Cabal, all those types of games).

Trying to decide what would be the best way to play it, either get this thing which looks good but is basically a glorified emulator, or buy an actual used Neo Geo and a copy of the Nam 1975 game off ebay (which I'm sure would end up much more expensive). What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Returned my bundle to Amazon, but kept the extra stick from TRU to use with PS3. Great idea but mediocre execution. Getting a GCW Zero instead.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Returned my bundle to Amazon, but kept the extra stick from TRU to use with PS3. Great idea but mediocre execution. Getting a GCW Zero instead.[/QUOTE]

This is the first I have heard of this. Just reading it's info page doesn't really excite me, specs-wise anyway--what's the big draw for this? I see that it's open source...basically it'll be a portable modded Xbox or a PSP running CFW? What makes it worth $150?

[quote name='Guerrilla']Returned my bundle to Amazon, but kept the extra stick from TRU to use with PS3. Great idea but mediocre execution. Getting a GCW Zero instead.[/QUOTE]

I kept my Neo Geo X bundle (but returned a second bundle I had bought). I do agree that the GCW Zero looks like a nice little device, I ordered one during the Kickstarter.

I like the concept, but I'd be more interested if almost every Neo Geo game wasn't already available for download on every other platform.

[quote name='monash65']Already have a bunch of Neo Geo stuff on the Wii virtual console, but Nam 1975 is not available on VC, and that was always one of my all time favorites (love Wild Guns, Cabal, all those types of games).

Trying to decide what would be the best way to play it, either get this thing which looks good but is basically a glorified emulator, or buy an actual used Neo Geo and a copy of the Nam 1975 game off ebay (which I'm sure would end up much more expensive). What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I got NAM off ebay (just the cart) about a year ago for $20. Some sellers have dozens of them for cheap. Getting a console may be harder though.

I'm a little disappointed in the system. Mine doesnt work unless its HDMI and there is no built in save feature. The screen is ok for what it needs to do, but it is low quality. Will hold off on further bashing until they release more games. If they release Samurai Shodown RPG it will be the best purchase ever.

[quote name='chimpmeister'] The replica joystick is USB and thus works great with the PS3 for Neo Geo Station games.[/QUOTE]

Never got an answer when I asked last time, seems like a good time to repost it.

Quick question for owners.

I know the arcade stick is compatible with PC/PS3 (Neo Geo Station) just curious if you can use it on X360, for Garou MotW's?

Anyone know off hand?

What drugs was the person who came up with this on? If I want emulation, I do it a different way.

This thing was made to fail.

I've always loved Neo Geo, I've owned an AES, CD and Pocket system in the past. I was both excited and worried at the same time when this system was announced. I figured they wouldn't get it perfect, they didn't and that's a shame. Neo Geo is amazing! The joysticks seem to be the only great product out of this system. I actually use my WII as my Neo Geo setup. I imported a Neo Geo Stick for Wii and most of the games are either available on Wii Virtual Console or on the various compilation discs SNK released. The only one that doesn't work with my stick is Metal Slug Anthology, The US and EU versions don't support the classic controller for some reason, Only the Japanese verison does. I found the emulation on Wii to be very good, unlike the Neo Geo Gold.

bread's done
Back