NES repair (tips!)

snotknocker

CAGiversary!
Just wanted to share some things I've discovered while repairing (cleaning) some of the NES systems I've picked up at various yardsales this summer.

First off I had 4 blinking systems that I thought were going to need new 72-pin connectors, I ordered a couple new ones and was prepared to make the swap. When I removed the first one I examined it closely and did not see much wear or buildup on the pins, however I did notice some buildup on the board where the pins connect. I cleaned it with a cotton ball and alcohol but there was still some buildup so I decided to use a metal cleaner (polish) to see if it would come clean. Well let me tell you the amount of shit that came off the board was incredible. I mean black filthy shit. I scrubbed using a toothbrush and some polish then wiped clean. I then recleaned using the alcohol because I'm thinking the metal cleaner would probably have negative effects on the plastic of the board. After seeing the amount of dirt that came off the board I decided to clean the pins with the metal cleaner. I had a larger scrub brush and repeated the process. Next up was the games. I've always cleaned my games with alcohol. I have the bit to open up the carts and historically was able to clean them what I thought to be quite well. NOT! after using the polish on a few games I sat in awe at just how much tarnish and dirt came off them. Any way I sprayed a plastic safe electrical lubricant on the pins, board and games. I blew them off with a can of compressed air and then dried everything off. I reassembled everything and boom - NO Blink and my games started every time, first time and no blowing in the cart. I repeated these procedures on the remaining 3 systems with the same results. I also cleaned about 25 games (that i thought were cleaned already) and tested them on all 4 systems, again they started up first time. The polish that I used is called NOXON and the electrical lubricant is Prescion Plus manufactured by CRC industries. Now I can't gaurentee this will work for you, but it sure as hell worked for me.

*looks over at 6 NES's*

I'm going to have to give these tips a try. Are those cleaning products fairly common? I'll have to pick them up if I see them, and schedule a huge block of time to get all of my systems in tip top shape.

Thanks!

[quote name='evilmax17']*looks over at 6 NES's*

I'm going to have to give these tips a try. Are those cleaning products fairly common? I'll have to pick them up if I see them, and schedule a huge block of time to get all of my systems in tip top shape.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I got the metal cleaner in the supermarket and the eletrical lube in a local hardware store so i would think they are pretty common.

This was my first attempt at this cleaning technique and had these products in house for other purposes. I am quite amazed at the deep down dirt that the alcohol just does not remove, I'm also quite pleased that the 4 systems I cleaned are functioning perfectly. I antiicpated I would have to replace the pins ($8 each).

I would recommend to anyone before buying replacement pins to try this technique first. If anything order the bit to open the game carts to thoroughly clean them. IMO clean games on a clean system = hassle free fun

[quote name='Arakias']no offense, but could you possibly put paragraph breaks in your posts next time? thanks for the tips otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Could'nt you do it for me?

i too.. just recently thought i may have to replace the connector in mine.. i shall try this trick.. how much does the bit to open carts go for?

[quote name='urzishra14']i too.. just recently thought i may have to replace the connector in mine.. i shall try this trick.. how much does the bit to open carts go for?[/QUOTE]
$4 + S/H you can get them here - www.newark.com Do a search on keyword nintendo and a plithering of stuff. you'll need the security bit. The nintendo one works on NES SNES and gameboy carts. There's also one for Genesis carts. a solid investment for sure.

If you don't have access to metal cleaner or just don't feel like getting it, a regular pink pencil eraser will pull the nasty crap off the contacts of games pretty effectively as well. Only caveat, you'll probably have to open up the carts to do it effectively.

Just wipe them down with alcohol and a Q-tip when you're done.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']If you don't have access to metal cleaner or just don't feel like getting it, a regular pink pencil eraser will pull the nasty crap off the contacts of games pretty effectively as well. Only caveat, you'll probably have to open up the carts to do it effectively.

Just wipe them down with alcohol and a Q-tip when you're done.[/QUOTE]

You could get one of those thick, brick type erasers and just cut a strip or however much is needed.

I'm going to have to ask my dad to see if we have any of that metal cleaner. Thanks for the tips.

I still maintain the best thing you can do for your NES is to put in a new 72 pin connector. As long as my games are clean (see all the great tips above), my NES has worked like brand new since I put in the new connector 3 years ago.

Nothing like getting an NES to not blink anymore. What a joyous day. :D

daroga

[quote name='daroga']I still maintain the best thing you can do for your NES is to put in a new 72 pin connector. As long as my games are clean (see all the great tips above), my NES has worked like brand new since I put in the new connector 3 years ago.

Nothing like getting an NES to not blink anymore. What a joyous day. :D

daroga[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.. you're going to be cracking open the NES to do this anyway you might as well just install the new pin connector then open all the games you have an alcohol clean them... and thanks for the tip on the bit.. i'll be getting one shortly.

nes72pin8_small.jpg

What ever you do make sure that all connection areas are clean. I really don't see the point replacing pins if you don't need to. If you have the ambition and or time a little elbow grease could prove to be the ultimate cheapass fix. On the 4 systems I cleaned the connectors on the board (see pic above) yielded the most dirt and grime. And just to restate all 4 systems are now working perfectly.

doesnt nintendo give that pin connector free? Ive been meaning to get one but i forgot the number(dont know if they are giving it free still either)

[quote name='Weedy649']doesnt nintendo give that pin connector free? Ive been meaning to get one but i forgot the number(dont know if they are giving it free still either)[/QUOTE]
Not anymore. A few weeks ago I tracked down the thread we had here on CAG (the last post was in like, early 2004) and gave the number a call.

The guy I got said they hadn't had them in quite some time, and there were no plans to make any more of them.

If somebody successfully ends up getting one I'll try again, but I haven't called since.

I just put in a new connector pin and everything worked great... using the metal cleaner and stuff sounds like a lot of work.

[quote name='evilmax17']Not anymore. A few weeks ago I tracked down the thread we had here on CAG (the last post was in like, early 2004) and gave the number a call.

The guy I got said they hadn't had them in quite some time, and there were no plans to make any more of them.

If somebody successfully ends up getting one I'll try again, but I haven't called since.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. I got mine for free a while back. (I'm probably on the thread you found.)

I've never had a need to open a game cart. I use Q-Tips with rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts and figure if that doesn't bring them back nothing will. (Works about 98% of the time.)

I've been using wd40 with great success with a technique exactly like snot's. I clean with the iso first, WD-40 next until it rubs clear, then with the iso again. All the games, the 72 pin connector at the board and at the cart opening. It's amazing all the shit that keeps coming off with te wd40 even after you think it's clean from the alcohol. Even if you get a new 72 pin, you should still clean the board and all carts thoroughly before installing the new connector.

I've got to agree with Snotty on this one - I've been searching for some NOXON for a while. I hit all the places I could think of in this area with no luck.

I found a similar metal polish called MAAS at WalMart and gave it a shot and WOW - Games that looked "clean" had tons of black tarnish come off of them......... the contacts on the ones I have tried now shine they are so clean. If anyone is looking for some - check your local wally world - it was on the aisle with air fresheners and cleaning products . It comes in a 2.0 OZ tube (paste) for under $4 - it only takes a tiny little bit and has worked wonders so far!

It's been a good 3 plus months and all 4 of the original systems are in use and functioning perfectly. Two were given away to friends and get minimal play time but they state that they are working perfectly, in fact they have brought over games they picked up on the cheap for cleaning before trying on their systems. I think you should thoroughly clean all NES games you pick up regardless of how clean they look befors playing on a clean system. The other 2 are my own personal systems. One has seen almost daily playtime and the other 3 to 4 times a week and not even a flicker.

Great tip. I use a simialr metal polish made for cars I think... I got it at Pep Boys. I used to sue Iso to clean my nes games, and they still didnt work in my NES. Then I got a new 72-pin connector for my NES and I thought my problems would be over, but guess what, most of my carts STILL didnt work. So I finally used the metal cleaner on the carts contacts and tons of black grossness came off of them. And then they finally worked. But taking my nes back apart and using it on the board wouldnt be too bad of an idea...

Heres a tip I'll add. Anyone who has scrubbed 20 or more carts in a sitting this way knows what a pita it can be. Your arm is dead by time your done. Well the solution I came up with is using my Dremel. I put on a canvas coated polishing bit, rub some of the metal polish into it, and turn on the Dremel. Whoosh! Polished super clean in seconds! I can clean 20 carts in 15 minutes flat.

Dremel... Good idea guys.

Another sweet polish is Semichrome.... I have used it on my nes before and have had great results..

The stuff is a little more expensive ~$6 a tube but it forms a protective layer that really lasts.

Dremel!!!! great idea, I've gotta get one. I've got a good 300- 400 carts that need cleaning.

Puffa, I was born and misspent my youth in Jersey City. Small world!

Doh, I was at a yard sale this past summer where a Craftsman brand Dremel tool was up for something like $5. Guy had it in his hands when I spotted it or I would have snagged the sucker. Didn't think too much of it at the time as I really have no serious need for one. Now I can have a reason to really feel bad about missing on it. Thanks puffa!

Sorry, not sure if this is right section
but i really need help repairing old NES
It blinks.. and i know what to do for that
But the game doesnt even come up.. its just a blank grey screen

And somtimes the grey screen flashes..sometimes it doesnt
Pulled apart and cleaned system but didnt help
If anyone could help it would be apreciated
thanks

Wow. This thread is dustier than your NES. But like people told you in the other thread you made, replacing the 72-pin connector should fix your problems.

Granted, it's not the cure-all for a broken Nintendo, but it should fix all of the symptoms you seem to be experiencing.

Is there a household agent I can utilize to restore the outer shell of an NES to an illustrious matte finish?

I purchased MAAS at Wal-mart a couple of weeks ago and used it to polish the 72-pin connectors. Unfortunately, my hand-me down NES is continuing to blue blink. So, I ordered a gold pin 72-pin connector and hopefully this will solve the problem.

bread's done
Back