NES repairs Photo Journal (56k need not apply!)

Kendal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
So today, I got my 72-pin connector. I had already gotten most of the screws out of the NES when I posted about the surgery. So here we go!

What is in here?

Oh, it is my connector that I ordered!

Last time I bought something in one of those bags, I didn't want to photograph it!

New hotness!

With the patient shaved and ready for the operation, I prepare by grabbing my trusty Snap-on screw driver. Only the best for my NES.

Under the hood, we find an aluminum foil hat, or an RF shield.

Under the hat is the awesome machine that thrilled many and shaped tons of lives!

I know how to screw, or unscrew.

Useless floppy tray dealie, removed!

The brain behind the operation that rocked the 80's!

Old and busted.

New hotness!

[/Men in Black]

Naked 'tendo!

It is coming back together!

Let's test this out before we close'er up. It was way too easy.

What is this?

Mission Accomplished!

Oh shit!

MY THUMB!

I can put Humpty back together!

Still works!

Hope you enjoyed my fun. I put blood, sweat and one tear into this. Up next is my second NES. Ten I am going to mod my SNES to play SFC games. I would like to thank http://nuxx.net/wiki/NES_72-Pin_Edge_Connector_Replacement for the guide on openning up the NES. I would also like to thank http://myworld.ebay.com/body_dude/ for the cheap NES 72-pin connector. I will have invested $20 to make both my NES' like new.

[quote name='Kendal']I took an aviation maintenance course and have a ton of Snap-on tools and a nice bag.[/QUOTE]

My father in law is a mechanic and so I've heard my share of Snap-On stories. :)

Aviation maintence? Doesn't Shipwreck do something like that?

Quick tip: Loosening (but not removing) the screws holding the RF/AC inputs allows more wiggle room with the motherboard and makes it easier to slide the new pins on.

Out of curiosity did you get an official Nintendo 72-pin or a generic? Some people swear by the official ones due to a slightly looser grip on the cartridge. I've used both myself and I've never noticed a difference, save for the extra $5 is costs for an official one.

I fixed my gf's brother's NES a few months ago when it was having the pin problem. The inside of your NES looked amazingly clean compared to his. He had the usual dust and gunk and what looked like a dead moth or some insect (hope it wasn't a roach). When i asked my gf if she had a can of air (Compressed air) she didn't know what the fuck I was talking about, neither did her parents. :bomb: Anyways I fixed it and told the brother that he needs to firmly push the Cart since this is a new pin connector. I also told him DO NOT BLOW INTO THE CARTS FROM NOW ON!!!!!

[quote name='Black Edge']Out of curiosity did you get an official Nintendo 72-pin or a generic? Some people swear by the official ones due to a slightly looser grip on the cartridge. I've used both myself and I've never noticed a difference, save for the extra $5 is costs for an official one.[/quote]

Might be a generic. It is a pretty tight grip. Mine was a little shy of $10 shipped.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I fixed my gf's brother's NES a few months ago when it was having the pin problem. The inside of your NES looked amazingly clean compared to his. He had the usual dust and gunk and what looked like a dead moth or some insect (hope it wasn't a roach). When i asked my gf if she had a can of air (Compressed air) she didn't know what the fuck I was talking about, neither did her parents. :bomb: Anyways I fixed it and told the brother that he needs to firmly push the Cart since this is a new pin connector. I also told him DO NOT BLOW INTO THE CARTS FROM NOW ON!!!!![/quote]

Not going to lie. I opened up the deck before I got the part and cleaned it. But it wasn't too dirty. No bugs.

Any recommendations of where to get a 10-pin connector? My NES's 10-pin is a klunky POS that works maybe one in every fifteen bootups.

bread's done
Back