Netflix changes. Prices to increase, add streaming only plan

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Starting right away for new subscribers and in Jan 2011 for existing members, Netflix is raising the price of it's one out, streaming plan to $9.99. They will also offer a Steam only plan for $7.99. 2 and 3 disc out plans will also see a price increase. Maybe time to switch back to blockbuster since they are $8.99 and offer video games as an option.

Just checked $14.99 FOR 2 out, $19.99 for 3 out and $27.99 for 4 out. Not sure what prior price was

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be downgrading my membership to 2 at a time before January. I never watch all 3 movies in a timely manner anyway.

[quote name='kak23']I'll be downgrading my membership to 2 at a time before January. I never watch all 3 movies in a timely manner anyway.[/QUOTE]

What was the cost of 3 out? 17.99?

3 out was 16.99

expect to see netflix stock plunge .. many people will not pay 20 per month for 3 at a time with how badly netflix throttles people

might as well stick a fork in netflix cause they are done

if you dont watch online 3 at a time if they throttle you would be 12 per month.. if your lucky your going to get 24 per month so take the middle and say 18 per month..

you can rent 18 movies from redbox for 18 so redbox will be cheaper ...

also there is talk many of the studios will start doing a 60 or even a 90 day withholding from netflix/redbox starting early 2011 so that would just be another nail in netflix coffin ...

netflix was good back in 2006 but its just outdated now

sucks i was going to get one of those blu ray players just to stream movies on it but its not worth 8 per month to watch the crap they put up.. Its all old junk nonone would pay to rent

[quote name='slidecage']3 out was 16.99

expect to see netflix stock plunge .. many people will not pay 20 per month for 3 at a time with how badly netflix throttles people

if you dont watch online 3 at a time if they throttle you would be 12 per month.. if your lucky your going to get 24 per month so take the middle and say 18 per month..

also there is talk many of the studios will start doing a 60 or even a 90 day withholding from netflix/redbox starting early 2011 so that would just be another nail in netflix coffin ...

sucks i was going to get one of those blu ray players just to stream movies on it but its not worth 8 per month to watch the crap they put up.. Its all old junk nonone would pay to rent[/QUOTE]

Suggest another service where I can get the number of movies and television shows that I can get via streaming for under $10 a month.

I'm waiting...

Netflix is far from dead. Their stock went up over 7% on this news.

[quote name='kklems']What was the cost of 3 out? 17.99?[/QUOTE]$20.99 for Blu-ray access; it will go up to $23.99

When I started out it was $15. I'm either going to 1 or 2 at a time. Not sure yet. I'll be editing down my Queue to only those movies I really want to see. Too many times the movies I wanted have been skipped over and I end up with something I really don't want to watch too bad and it will sit around forever. I just can't justify spending the new price. So thank you netflix for alerting me about this price change: Now you will get less of my money.

I've got the 1-out plan with blu-ray access and I'm paying $12.06 currently. I've been using the streaming only latey (thanks Dexter, season two), but I really should clean up my queue some more...

Did I read correctly somewhere that these price increases are for DVD only users currently (and new subscribers)?

Just switched mine to a streaming only plan. I'll save the buck for now...and in a year I will have 12 bucks. And then I will buy something with that 12 bucks. Something.....nice.....real nice.

I changed to streaming only. I've had the same disc since January.
If you check your account, it will say that your plan no longer exists and that you will be forced to change to the higher pay rate next pay period. I don't know about blu ray, but that would be the way to check.

This is a tough decision b/c the last disc (1 at-a-time plan, no blu ray) I got, I kept for a month. but every once in a while I can go on a tear of 3 discs in 2 weeks. I use streaming daily..I wish there was a benefit or incentive for getting streaming only..

[quote name='slidecage']expect to see netflix stock plunge .. many people will not pay 20 per month for 3 at a time with how badly netflix throttles people

sucks i was going to get one of those blu ray players just to stream movies on it but its not worth 8 per month to watch the crap they put up.. Its all old junk nonone would pay to rent[/QUOTE]

I barely know what to say, except that Redbox only carries new releases, and requires actually going to a Redbox, twice, so it cannot function as an economical replacement unless you go by one daily anyway (to negate gas costs) and only watch new movies. I also don't know what could possibly compel you to watch every Netflix disc the day you receive it.

This news just reminded me I should switch off the 3-plan anyway with how much I'm using the stream now, probably drop all the way down to 1 disc.

i know its only a few dollars, but has anyone tried canceling their netflixs in hope of getting their current price through retention offers. My next billing cycle is on the 4th. So im probably going to cancel it on the 3rd and see what happens. Hopefully enough people have canceled.

[quote name='Spyder187']Gee an extra buck a month. I think I can manage that for the quality and convienence that Netflix brings me.[/QUOTE]

It might only be a buck but that works out to be over a 11% increase.

I think they are counting on people saying oh it's just a buck and sticking with it but how would you feel if your mortgage or rent payment went up 11%? I will probably pay the difference and stick with the 1 out plan since I get super quick turnaround and get my $$ worth but if they raise it again I will likely move on. I also use playon to stream hulu and some of the networks and with the plugins I can get a decent selection of stuff to watch so Netflix is the only monthly charge I pay for entertainment at this time. (SCREW TWC). Or if hulu plus turns out to have good content and is a seamless interface with the PS3 I may switch to that so I can watch more current stuff and just redbox new releases.

[quote name='shrike4242']OP, I think you meant "streaming" not "steaming". Fixed that for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but maybe that slip was still an appropriate title since it was a price increase :)

[quote name='kklems']It might only be a buck but that works out to be over a 11% increase.

I think they are counting on people saying oh it's just a buck and sticking with it but how would you feel if your mortgage or rent payment went up 11%? I will probably pay the difference and stick with the 1 out plan since I get super quick turnaround and get my $$ worth but if they raise it again I will likely move on. I also use playon to stream hulu and some of the networks and with the plugins I can get a decent selection of stuff to watch so Netflix is the only monthly charge I pay for entertainment at this time. (SCREW TWC). Or if hulu plus turns out to have good content and is a seamless interface with the PS3 I may switch to that so I can watch more current stuff and just redbox new releases.[/QUOTE]

agreed. I wouldn't have a problem if the new price was for new members only. I say everyone just cancel it for a week and see what netflixs does.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Suggest another service where I can get the number of movies and television shows that I can get via streaming for under $10 a month.

I'm waiting...[/QUOTE]

Any pirate site on the net. :D

Wow, a $1, those fuckers are going to pay now! That could have bought me a McDouble or a bag of chips from the Dollar Tree.

Not sure what to do here. At the very least, I'm calling to see if I can somehow stay on the $16.99 per month plan through the retention department. I still want to be able to get dvds in the mail, but might drop down to the 2-per-month (my wife and I each have our own queue).

If they dump more movies into the Instant availability then I don't see this as much of an issue. I already dropped from 3 at a time to 2 because i wasn't watching them in a timely manner. The only reason I have 2 now is for when I get TV series that are not available instantly or anime which will always suck on instant because you can't do Japanese with subs.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Suggest another service where I can get the number of movies and television shows that I can get via streaming for under $10 a month.

I'm waiting...

Netflix is far from dead. Their stock went up over 7% on this news.[/QUOTE]

funny thing there was more news on netflix awhile back (i think aug or sept) stock was 66 per share and something happen where i said well the stock is dead ... and it jumps to 150..

so i guess that means invest in any stock what i say is dead :)

i mostly was talking to people who do DVDS ONLY and remember you need a good Interenet hook up to get that streaming (unless it changed in the last 2 years) i know the lowest basic internet here is 26 per month and it will not work with netflix you need the 43 buck per month plan to even get fast enough speed to watch movies (unless you love the buffing screen)

and remember they are still talking about cutting saturday delivery of the mail so that will even effect the DVD only even more

again it might of changed in the last 2 years.. Still tempted if i can get one of these b.rays cheap the day after thanksiving i might give it a shot

Those of you saying that it's only $1 more are missing the point. When I started Netflix is was around $15. Then they added Blu-ray at no additional charge. They slowly raised rates, then they decided to charge more for blu-ray. Now with another $3 a month increase for my plan it is almost $10 a month more than what I started with. It's disappointing.

You can say it's only $1 but if you raise that every year, it adds up without it seeming like much and pretty soon you find yourself paying more than you wanted to. That's why I'm downgrading my membership.

They would have gotten more from me each month had they not raised their rates but this recent rate increase just reminds me that I don't use the 3 at a time that much now and so I should downgrade.

Might end up just paying for the streaming and then renting the odd movie from Redbox with the various codes that are out there, plus the free movie Mondays. More often than not, the discs I get from Netflix end up sitting on a counter for a week before I finally look at them.

[quote name='kak23']I'll be downgrading my membership to 2 at a time before January. I never watch all 3 movies in a timely manner anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I love netflix, but this price increase is simply uncalled for. I think I'll just pass on the 3 out plan, which i loved, if I ever come back to Netflix, or do streaming only. Senseless increase since they're making so much damn money how

[quote name='slidecage']3 out was 16.99

I actually agree with you for once. Scary.

Thank god for the libraries, the scene, and the internet

[quote name='kklems']It might only be a buck but that works out to be over a 11% increase.

I think they are counting on people saying oh it's just a buck and sticking with it but how would you feel if your mortgage or rent payment went up 11%? I will probably pay the difference and stick with the 1 out plan since I get super quick turnaround and get my $$ worth but if they raise it again I will likely move on. I also use playon to stream hulu and some of the networks and with the plugins I can get a decent selection of stuff to watch so Netflix is the only monthly charge I pay for entertainment at this time. (SCREW TWC). Or if hulu plus turns out to have good content and is a seamless interface with the PS3 I may switch to that so I can watch more current stuff and just redbox new releases.[/QUOTE]

OR...

They're counting on the fact that intelligent people can recognize the service is CONSTANTLY being improved. As more Blu-Ray movies get released, they're carrying more product. How many movies do they have to carry two versions of right now? Sure, Blu-Ray prices are dropping, but not everybody has switched over to the new format yet, so Netflix is having to cater to two completely different markets. Maybe when DVDs are phased out we'll see prices swing back the other way. It wouldn't surprise me.

Oh, and the second point of how the service is improving: they've been actively signing new contracts to add shows and movies to the instant streaming almost every month lately. Anybody who still uses the "it's all old stuff nobody's heard of" line is just an idiot. There are TONS of good and recent movies and television shows available for instant stream. Some of which are even available the day after they air. The fact that this is now viewed as a standalone service should show you how much use and value people find in it.

Yes, I will admit the "it's only $1" argument is a slippery slope. But with the service growing and improving, does it not make sense that it would cost more? Sure, not everyone will care about these improvements, and that's a matter of personal taste. But you can't deny that the company is expanding.

[quote name='slidecage']might as well stick a fork in netflix cause they are done[/QUOTE]

LMAO...yes, I'm sure the website will be shut down by the end of the year.

[quote name='kak23']Those of you saying that it's only $1 more are missing the point. When I started Netflix is was around $15. Then they added Blu-ray at no additional charge. They slowly raised rates, then they decided to charge more for blu-ray. Now with another $3 a month increase for my plan it is almost $10 a month more than what I started with. It's disappointing.

You can say it's only $1 but if you raise that every year, it adds up without it seeming like much and pretty soon you find yourself paying more than you wanted to. That's why I'm downgrading my membership.

They would have gotten more from me each month had they not raised their rates but this recent rate increase just reminds me that I don't use the 3 at a time that much now and so I should downgrade.[/QUOTE]

Right but at the time when Netflix was starting out we they didn't have a shit ton of issues that they have now (Movie companies charging them more, etc) so yea while its increasing its still giving us a great service. I am fine with instant streaming with my 2 out at a time with Blu for under $20

I don't understand the move to phase out dvd mailings completely. Do they truly believe that every subscriber has some method of streaming movies? Red Box will probably be around for a while, since Hollywood and Blockbuster aren't doing well, so they'd be Netflix's only real competitor on the dvd front.

While I agree that the streaming service is definitely WAY better than it was I joined a couple of years ago, anyone who actually likes getting new releases in the mail has seen their service actually get a bit worse, considering the exclusive 28-day window Blockbuster has with certain studios. I know I have had to wait for all the DC animated releases lately. And while that is obviously not all Netflix's fault, the reality still is that the service has gotten better in some ways and worse in others.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']While I agree that the streaming service is definitely WAY better than it was I joined a couple of years ago, anyone who actually likes getting new releases in the mail has seen their service actually get a bit worse, considering the exclusive 28-day window Blockbuster has with certain studios. I know I have had to wait for all the DC animated releases lately.[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster is paying extra fees to have that perk. The studios want more money from DVD sales; thus they are asking rental companies for more money. Blockbuster is willing to pay to get a leg up on the competition. Who wants to rent from Blockbuster when it costs more to rent a movie than Redbox or who wants to go on a pass at Blockbuster when it costs more than Netflix...

$12 extra/year is fine for me if they keep up the good work they been doing by adding increasingly more titles to stream and adding more copies per title to the mailings. To your comment, I have NEVER had an issue in the past YEAR getting ANY NEW RELEASE on BLURAY via the MAIL. I get them the week they come out.

I really didn't think it was necessary to point out that Blockbuster is paying. I think we all know that. But yes, you are right. BB is paying for that. Whatever Blockbuster is doing is pretty meaningless, though. Like I said, whether or not it's Netflix's fault, the reality is, you cannot get a lot of new releases on there for a month. Whatever the reason is, that's the situation.

As far as your claim that you never had a problem getting a new release the week they came out, I never said anything at all about that aspect of Netflix's service, so I really don't know where that comment even come from. Perhaps, you were thinking of some others posters who claimed otherwise. As I clearly said, the issue I have is all of the new releases that are not available from Netflix for a month.

I originally had 3 at a time with HD-DVD (at no extra cost). Then after a year and a half I dropped it to 2 at a time with Blu Ray(with added cost). Then recently I've dropped it to 1 at a time with Blu Ray and unlimited streaming. Honestly, one at a time is enough. It's a little slow when I'm getting new TV seasons through the mail but the price difference is significant, particularly since they add more for the Blu Ray with each extra disk.

Good news for me. I've only requested THREE DVD's in the mail since my membership start date back in January 2010. Get to save $1/month. :cool:

[quote name='n8rockerasu']OR...

They're counting on the fact that intelligent people can recognize the service is CONSTANTLY being improved. As more Blu-Ray movies get released, they're carrying more product. How many movies do they have to carry two versions of right now? Sure, Blu-Ray prices are dropping, but not everybody has switched over to the new format yet, so Netflix is having to cater to two completely different markets. Maybe when DVDs are phased out we'll see prices swing back the other way. It wouldn't surprise me.

Oh, and the second point of how the service is improving: they've been actively signing new contracts to add shows and movies to the instant streaming almost every month lately. Anybody who still uses the "it's all old stuff nobody's heard of" line is just an idiot. There are TONS of good and recent movies and television shows available for instant stream. Some of which are even available the day after they air. The fact that this is now viewed as a standalone service should show you how much use and value people find in it.

Yes, I will admit the "it's only $1" argument is a slippery slope. But with the service growing and improving, does it not make sense that it would cost more? Sure, not everyone will care about these improvements, and that's a matter of personal taste. But you can't deny that the company is expanding.

LMAO...yes, I'm sure the website will be shut down by the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

They are saying that they are raising rates not because of the dvd/blu ray segment but because of the increased cost of licensing streaming content. In fact they would like to move more customers away from discs to streaming because in the long run they think it will cut their costs. Right now they spent 115 million on license fees this last year up from 10-20 mil last year. I believe they quoted the dvd purchase costs as 30 million. (I don't think that includes mailing, storage etc just the actual cost) But if they can get enough subscribers they will have leverage with the studios to get lower per subscriber fees.

I agree the content is getting better but this is on the heels of other price raises and blu ray surcharges. People have gone from $15 a month for 3 out (and at first free blu-ray) to $24.99 plus $2 for blu-ray which is pretty darn close to double in just a couple of years. In the same time frame they have doubled their subscriber base to 19 million.

For me the increase will only be a dollar and I get a one day turn around so I will likely stick with it but I may also take another look at blockbuster if they come out with a streaming option.

[quote name='slidecage'] and remember you need a good Interenet hook up to get that streaming (unless it changed in the last 2 years) i know the lowest basic internet here is 26 per month and it will not work with netflix you need the 43 buck per month plan to even get fast enough speed to watch movies (unless you love the buffing screen)[/QUOTE]

I first sampled Netflix streaming last year with my 784 kbps line and while the pic wasn't even DVD quality, I was fairly satisfied. I've got no HDTV setup.

I now have a 1.5 mbps connection and the quality improved slightly although I dropped my Netflix sub. but hope to go back someday.

It does work on "slower" connections. It's just not ideal.

[quote name='shieryda']I don't understand the move to phase out dvd mailings completely. Do they truly believe that every subscriber has some method of streaming movies? Red Box will probably be around for a while, since Hollywood and Blockbuster aren't doing well, so they'd be Netflix's only real competitor on the dvd front.[/QUOTE]

wonder how long netflix/redbox will be able to stick around if the movie companies have their way and get to push the 30 day window to the 90 day they are now asking for ..

many people are willing to wait 30 days for a new release but how many will wait 90

i still dont see why comcast dont drop their PPV fees ... i would buy more stuff off PPV movies off comcast if they dropped the movies to 1.99 instead of the 4.99 to 6.99 they charge now ....

Hmm saw this at yahoo. But lucky me im leeching off a friend for streaming off the xbox >_>..... But remember only 6 devices can be under one netflix account for screaming ^_^ Stream only plan looks nice though.

At the end of the day, it's all just jockeying between Netflix, BBV, and the movie industry here. It's an ever-changing landscape, and like others have pointed out, due to certain agreements and limitations, there are certain benefits you'll get from one company that you won't find with another. Yes, BBV has an exclusive window with a lot of movies now. But if you think the cost of that agreement isn't going to come back at you in the price of a rental, you're nuts. You're paying more for the "right" to rent the movie "early".

On the other hand, Netflix has an outright MONSTROUS list of streaming content that is ever growing. But now, we're starting to see the effect of that luxury. I don't blame Netflix for wanting to move away from disc based rentals. How many idiots do you think use their rentals as coasters for a week, beating the hell out of them before shoving them back in the envelope, ready to do the same thing with the next movie they get. With streaming, that's not a problem. I just don't think an "all movies are streamed" world is even a decade away.

Ultimately, people are going to pay for whatever they feel is worth the cost. For me, Red Box is the only real competition for Netflix, but I'd rather have movies streamed to my home and mailed to me than have to trapse across town and make sure I have the movie back before 9 PM the next night. I also like renting movies that are older than 2 months. Hell, just last night I streamed the original Night of the Living Dead. Why? Because I could. If my $1 more per month means that I"ll have a bigger library of movies to do that with, I'm all for it. As long as the price increase is accomplishing something, I have no problem with it.

Honestly, I think Netflix would love if everyone drops down from 3 to 2 out at time. Sure they lose a little revenue if folks do this under the new rates, but they avoid alot of costs in the process. I don't know what their average mail cost (to the customer and back) is but I would guess is around 80-90 cents per DVD once you factor in labor and trucking costs. Assume the average customers on the 3 at time plan goes through 9 DVDs in a month. On the 2 at a time plan, the average customer might end up with 7 DVDs a month. Even if folks shift down to 2 a time and netflix now makes a buck less a month, they avoid $1.60-1.80 in fulfillment costs on those 2 fewer dvds they now don't have to mail out, so they still end up ahead...

I have a single disc plan and if it wasn't for my daughter I probably would have canceled it a long time ago, they have awesome kids show, especially now.

the price increase sux balls! but

[quote name='skiizim']... they have awesome kids show, especially now.[/QUOTE]
agreed! my son always wants me to turn on the XBox to stream cartoons for him, he watches about 5mins of something, then has me switch to a different one.

[quote name='K_G']Honestly, I think Netflix would love if everyone drops down from 3 to 2 out at time. Sure they lose a little revenue if folks do this under the new rates, but they avoid alot of costs in the process. I don't know what their average mail cost (to the customer and back) is but I would guess is around 80-90 cents per DVD once you factor in labor and trucking costs. Assume the average customers on the 3 at time plan goes through 9 DVDs in a month. On the 2 at a time plan, the average customer might end up with 7 DVDs a month. Even if folks shift down to 2 a time and netflix now makes a buck less a month, they avoid $1.60-1.80 in fulfillment costs on those 2 fewer dvds they now don't have to mail out, so they still end up ahead...[/QUOTE]

I think Netflix gets a very good deal with USPS and they pay much less than that. Their labor is mostly done by machines so it's not that bad.

I am ok with my 1 at a time plan. I used to have a Blu-Ray plan but I get a lot of films that are not on Blu-Ray so I downgraded. I figured I can just wait for whatever Blu-Rays I really want and then buy them for cheap. I have had a DVD for about 3 months and I still have not sent it back so I really don't care much for DVD's at least until I get through the huge list in my instant queue.

bread's done
Back